Perioderm - I'm a patient

Discussion in 'Dentsply' started by Anonymous, Aug 20, 2013 at 2:45 PM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I am a patient and was referred to a perio for gumline recession on one lower front tooth. He is recommending a frenectomy and graft using Perioderm. I'm and orthopaedic rep and have a few questions.

One is how much is this? I sell a similar product for rotator cuff repair. It is also an acellular dermal matrix (human of course) and it costs around $3500.

The dr told me that using an autograft off the roof of my mouth would leave the gum looking like a white tire patch. Is this true or just a sales technique?

Forutnately I'm knowledgeable enough to realize that an advantage of the graft is not having to endure the pain and heal/time of a harvest site.

Any other advice you can give me would be great. Thanks.

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Honestly it's a strict matter of preference by the surgeon. Obviously using your own tissue is optimal, but not always practical. It can be painful, there may not be enough to harvest, etc. if you talk to 10 surgeons, you'll get 10 answers on when/why they use donor vs auto.

As for the cost, their expense is usually sub-$500. Of course what they charge will be higher ... that's cost. I dont know much about this material specifically, but id ask about the source of the tissue. Lots of unethical/questionable tissue banks out there. Good luck.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Dermal products costs around $100 for a recession defect. If you don't mind the roof of your mouth feeling like you burned it with hot pizza for a few days, I'd go with the palatal graft.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

The donor site will hurt like hell and has the potential to develop infection.
    Do you have a muscle pull or tension from the tissue in that area? Find a dentist with a CO2 laser and remove the tension, do the frenectomy. Let the tissue re-form/relax into that area. Most times, you will not need the graft. $ 3500 is a chunk of cash for a minor cosmetic procedure. I would think twice.

5. anonymous

anonymous Guest

I would use my BioLase Er;Ysgg laser to do the frenectomy if indicated.
    PerioDerm is indicated when you can't harvest the tissue from the palate.
    It is a very delicate procedure and you should feel that you trust whoever is doing the procedure and not just a bunch of anonymous posters here.