Pet testing w iCAP

Discussion in 'Pharmacia Diagnostics' started by Anonymous, Dec 15, 2011 at 1:19 PM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I need some help. My dog has allergies and the vet wants to test with immunoCAP. The only problem is it will cost me $2,000. Any suggestions or advice? Serious replies...I'm worried about my dog. Thank you and happy holidays.

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

2 grand? Too much, find another lab. Shouldn't have to pay more than 15 per allergen tested. I hope the cat is not allergic to itself, good luck getting enough blood, too.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

It's usually an issue of family pets getting into "spanish fly" left unattended by adults in the family. The "spanish fly" ImmunoCap might be all that would be needed rather than being screened for everything under the sun. You can probably get the test done for $12, and add a little extra for a Total IgE.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

It's usually an issue of family pets getting into "spanish fly" left unattended by adults in the family. The "spanish fly" ImmunoCap might be all that would be needed rather than being screened for everything under the sun. You can probably get the test done for $12, and add a little extra for a Total IgE.

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Perfect. I was so worried my puppy had the dreaded scorned puppy syndrome (SPS). The vet had a long talk with me about the possiblity. Anyways, I will make sure that if I put all my spanish fly mixes away she'll be safe. I always wondered why she would run after every dog she would see. I'll test her to spanish fly and TIgE based on your advice. Thanks! Have happy holidays!

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

You are most welcome and my diagnoses come at no charge! A minority of cats and dogs do suffer from "Scorned Female Feline or Canine" Syndrome. It often mimics the "spanish fly" syndrome as the affected animals do a lot of chasing of the opposite sex in both instances. In any case ICap testing can provide fruitful results before your home is filled with "little ones" running around!

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Your diagnosis was correct. My vet just called and confirmed my puppy has Spanishfly hypersensitivity (4+ /forget the iCAP #) and TIgE was sky high. Since I put my S. fly mixes away she has been a new puppy! Well behaved and a joy to be around. Happy holidays to you and your family.

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

BTW ... there are two options to test for pet allergy: RAST/ELISA and intradermal skin tests. Immunotherapy is an option for pet owners and can be given at home. Also, exposure to Spanish Fly mixes should be avoided at all costs. It causes severe hypersensitivity and leads to erratic behaviour. Happy holidays to everyone!

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Beware if a cat or dog is skin tested for "spanish fly" antigen. Doing so usually causes a very pronounced boner which may take days to return to normal. No one wants their family pet running around with a huge boner. What would the kids say?? Best to do a specific IgE for spanish fly to prevent such situations. TN knows all so well as his dog runs around with a continuous boner.