PharmD's are not doctors!

Discussion in 'MSL Board' started by Anonymous, Sep 11, 2007 at 2:00 AM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. anonymous

anonymous Guest

2. anonymous

anonymous Guest

There are 135 Pharmacy schools. That's a lot
    However, there are 146 PA schools, 172 Medical/DO schools! and 350 NP programs.

Obviously there are no schools to teach people how to be pharmaceutical sales reps because you can learn to carry food as a waitress at any Waffle House and giving blow jobs is more of a practical skill. It's really not something you learn.

Now where the hell is my sandwich!?

3. anonymous

anonymous Guest

There are 135 Pharmacy schools. That's a lot
    However, there are 146 PA schools, 172 Medical/DO schools, and 350 NP programs.

Obviously there are no schools to teach people how to be pharmaceutical sales reps because you can learn to carry food as a waitress at any Waffle House and giving blow jobs is more of a practical skill. It's really not something you learn.

Now where the hell is my sandwich!?

4. anonymous

anonymous Guest

As a person who obtained a PharmD, I can vouch for the fact that I am a doctor. I do not fill prescriptions. I make rounds with Physicians in a hospital. I catch things that Physicians do not because they overlook a patient's drug history or fail to see major side effects and drug interactions. I diagnose patients and treat them accordingly. Not all Pharmacists stand behind a counter and count pills. I did for a few years but realized that's all I'd ever amount to and I wanted to do so much more than that. So here I am, running around in a hospital working almost 60 hours a week to make sure my >100 patients (including some of your loved ones) do not die because of a mistake that is commonly made by Physicians. You're welcome.

5. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Don't forget the strenuous Pharmacogenomics and Pharmacogenetics!

6. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Well, some of the best advice I ever had, was when I went to college, my father told me to call everybody "Doctor" -- if they were, then they were happy you recognized them and if not they were flattered.

Having first received a BS in pharmacy and later a doctor of pharmacy, the AMA had no issues with calling me "Doctor" when I published in JAMA nor did any of the sales reps that called on me. However, times may have changed but my dad's advice still stands.

7. anonymous

anonymous Guest

To whom it may concern,

First all i want to say that whether you are a nurse, a pharmacist, a physician or a dentist etc i respect healthcare professions and all other professions. Also, I value the diversity of each profession’s role because if we all had the same role, the system of care and treatment would be unbalanced and thus non-existent. Within this discussion, I want to bring up the origin of the title “Doctor.” This title has a Latin and an Old French origin to it. For the Latin origin, it means “teacher” and from the Old French, it means “learned person” or who has achieved “highest level of their respective academia.” Based on the origin, if we decide to call only a select group “Doctor” first of all, that means we have created a new meaning for a word that was derived from a language that was not English to begin with, and second we are not giving value to what we were built on, which is diversity, which is honored by recognizing that one has attained a milestone in his or her respective field. So another point is, “If everyone called themselves “Doctor” it will only be confusing.” This is a valid point, however, calling only a Physician/Surgeon “Doctor” is by origin non-specific, all you are saying is that they have “achieved highest level of their respective academia,” but so has other individuals from other professions. So maybe be more specific and call, a Medical Doctor, a Physician; call a Doctor of Philosophy, Professor (or their more specific title). Given the solution I just proposed, you may think, I am suggesting that we do-away with referring to anyone as Doctor, because it is not specific enough to refer to their expertise, but that is not what I am suggesting. When a “Doctor” (someone who is a teacher, or has achieved the highest level of their respective academia) once to sign their name, they can can put simply, Dr. John Smith, MD | Dr. John Smith, PhD | Dr. John Smith, PharmD | Dr. John Smith, DDS.... I’m sure you get the point by now. I wanted to make sure this response was thorough and non-biased, so let me also address another point made that “a PharmD is not a doctorate level, rather a Master’s level” and from my understanding this point was made because it is believed that you are required 2 years or more of undergraduate and then 4 years of Pharmacy, which as some people may have calculated it seems to be 6 years, but this couldn’t be farther from the truth. If you look at each pharmacy school’s statistics of incoming students, you will find that majority of the students actually already hold a Bachelor's degree and some have even earned their Master’s prior to their acceptance into Pharmacy School. Also, the supposed 2-year plan for undergraduate years that many schools pose is a scheme, by the time the pre-requisites are completed, one would have at least 85-90 credit hours which is way above 60 credit hours (2 years) and the reason one may complete the pre-requisites in the supposed “2 years” is prior credits received through dual credit, AP courses, and testing, along with Summer and Mini-sections taken in addition to Fall and Spring semesters.
    So on final note, all professions deserve to reserve a title that was originally intended to distinguish those who have attained the “highest level of their respective academia.” The title “Doctor” does not have an english origin, we have claimed it without actually looking into its origins To accommodate the diversity of all fields. Remember, collaboration over competition.

Much Love,
    A Self-Healing Writer

8. anonymous

anonymous Guest

To whom it may concern,

First all i want to say that whether you are a nurse, a pharmacist, a physician or a dentist etc i respect healthcare professions and all other professions. Also, I value the diversity of each profession’s role because if we all had the same role, the system of care and treatment would be unbalanced and thus non-existent. Within this discussion, I want to bring up the origin of the title “Doctor.” This title has a Latin and an Old French origin to it. For the Latin origin, it means “teacher” and from the Old French, it means “learned person” or who has achieved “highest level of their respective academia.” Based on the origin, if we decide to call only a select group “Doctor” first of all, that means we have created a new meaning for a word that was derived from a language that was not English to begin with, and second we are not giving value to what we were built on, which is diversity, which is honored by recognizing that one has attained a milestone in his or her respective field. So another point is, “If everyone called themselves “Doctor” it will only be confusing.” This is a valid point, however, calling only a Physician/Surgeon “Doctor” is by origin non-specific, all you are saying is that they have “achieved highest level of their respective academia,” but so has other individuals from other professions. So maybe be more specific and call, a Medical Doctor, a Physician; call a Doctor of Philosophy, Professor (or their more specific title). Given the solution I just proposed, you may think, I am suggesting that we do-away with referring to anyone as Doctor, because it is not specific enough to refer to their expertise, but that is not what I am suggesting. When a “Doctor” (someone who is a teacher, or has achieved the highest level of their respective academia) once to sign their name, they can can put simply, Dr. John Smith, MD | Dr. John Smith, PhD | Dr. John Smith, PharmD | Dr. John Smith, DDS.... I’m sure you get the point by now. I wanted to make sure this response was thorough and non-biased, so let me also address another point made that “a PharmD is not a doctorate level, rather a Master’s level” and from my understanding this point was made because it is believed that you are required 2 years or more of undergraduate and then 4 years of Pharmacy, which as some people may have calculated it seems to be 6 years, but this couldn’t be farther from the truth. If you look at each pharmacy school’s statistics of incoming students, you will find that majority of the students actually already hold a Bachelor's degree and some have even earned their Master’s prior to their acceptance into Pharmacy School. Also, the supposed 2-year plan for undergraduate years that many schools pose is a scheme, by the time the pre-requisites are completed, one would have at least 85-90 credit hours which is way above 60 credit hours (2 years) and the reason one may complete the pre-requisites in the supposed “2 years” is prior credits received through dual credit, AP courses, and testing, along with Summer and Mini-sections taken in addition to Fall and Spring semesters.
    So on final note, all professions deserve to reserve a title that was originally intended to distinguish those who have attained the “highest level of their respective academia.” The title “Doctor” does not have an english origin, we have claimed it without actually looking into its origins To accommodate the diversity of all fields. Remember, collaboration over competition.

Much Love,
    A Self-Healing Writer

9. anonymous

anonymous Guest

To whom it may concern,

Much Love,
    A Self-Healing Writer

10. anonymous

anonymous Guest

I agree with you, please read my detailed argument of why I believe the term”Doctor” is inclusive of the diversity in the workplace and how individuals are overlooking its origins.

To whom it may concern,

First all i want to say that whether you are a nurse, a pharmacist, a physician or a dentist etc i respect healthcare professions and all other professions. Also, I value the diversity of each profession’s role because if we all had the same role, the system of care and treatment would be unbalanced and thus non-existent. Within this discussion, I want to bring up the origin of the title “Doctor.” This title has a Latin and an Old French origin to it. For the Latin origin, it means “teacher” and from the Old French, it means “learned person” or one who has achieved “highest level of their respective academia.” Based on the origin, if we decide to call only a select group “Doctor” first of all, that means we have created a new meaning for a word that was derived from a language that was not English to begin with, and second we are not giving value to what we were built on, which is diversity, which is honored by recognizing that one has attained a milestone in his or her respective field. So another point is, “If everyone called themselves “Doctor” it will only be confusing.” This is a valid point, however, calling only a Physician/Surgeon “Doctor” is by origin, non-specific, all you are saying is that they have “achieved highest level of their respective academia,” but so have other individuals from other professions. So maybe be more specific and call, a Medical Doctor, a Physician; call a Doctor of Philosophy, Professor (or their more specific title). Given the solution I just proposed, you may think, I am suggesting that we do-away with referring to anyone as Doctor, because it is not specific enough to refer to their expertise, but that is not what I am suggesting. When a “Doctor” (someone who is a teacher, or has achieved the highest level of their respective academia) sign their name, they can put simply, Dr. John Smith, MD | Dr. John Smith, PhD | Dr. John Smith, PharmD | Dr. John Smith, DDS.... I’m sure you get the point by now. I wanted to make sure this response was thorough and non-biased, so let me also address another point made that “a PharmD is not a doctorate level, rather a Master’s level” and from my understanding this point was made because it is believed that you are required 2 years or more of undergraduate and then 4 years of Pharmacy, which as some people may have calculated it seems to be 6 years, but this couldn’t be farther from the truth. If you look at each pharmacy school’s statistics of incoming students, you will find that majority of the students actually already hold a Bachelor's degree and some have even earned their Master’s prior to their acceptance into Pharmacy School. Also, the supposed 2-year plan for undergraduate years that many schools pose is a scheme, by the time the pre-requisites are completed, one would have at least 85-90 credit hours which is way above 60 credit hours (2 years) and the reason one may complete the pre-requisites in the supposed “2 years” is due to prior credits received through dual credit, AP courses, and testing, along with Summer and Mini-sections taken in addition to Fall and Spring semesters.

Much Love,
    A Self-Healing Writer

11. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Dear sales reps
    I still haven’t gotten my sandwich.

12. anonymous

anonymous Guest

All that is fine, well and good...unfortunately the nomenclature of 'doctor' in and outside of the healthcare setting is commonly and regularly used to denote a physician, a dentist, optometrist, etc. - meaning someone who is actively treating patients with a terminal degree in their discipline. Most pharmacists do not actively treat patients in the same function for the most part.

Here is an example of common language...Two Mom's sit down and start talking about their kids...Mom #1 says, "my daughter is a doctor", Mom #2 says, "cool my son is a pharmacists, i wonder if they know each other"? It would be highly odd for Mom #2 to say, "cool so is my son". What if Mom #3 rolls in and her son is a dentist...how would she most likely join the conversation? Would she say, "my son is a doctor too" or would she most likely say, "my son is a dentist"? Same goes for the mom of an eye doctor. She may say, "my son is an optometrist or an eye doctor", however it would be highly unlikely for her say, "my son is a doctor".

Sure a PharmD is a doctor in the degree it produces, in the same way a lawyer is juris doctorate, or a optometrist is an OD or a dentist is a DDS. however if Mom #4, who's daughter is a lawyer, joined the conversation it's highly unlikely she would say, "my daughter is also a doctor". She would traditionally say, "My daughter is a lawyer". Likewise if you were on your way to see your lawyer or your dentist you wouldn't say, "I'm going to see my doctor". Heck even when we go to see the our optometrist, we don't say, "I'm headed to the doctor". We say, "I'm headed to the eye doctor". Common language needs to be considered in this argument as we are merely talking about a title or honorific on how to address someone.

No one is saying a PharmD is not a doctoral level of study, however the role is commonly referred to as a pharmacist, the same way a JD is referred to as a lawyer. I've never met a lawyer who uses the title or honorific of doctor, so why does a pharmacist need to? Because they earned it? That is the least logical answer or reason as it only stands to confuse patients. Historically the honorific of "Dr." was reserved for the MD and PhD. Like I said, JD's do not claim this honorific and it's only in recent years, due to the switch from the R.Pharm to PharmD programs has this even been an issue.

In the end it is confusing to patients and common folks to call a pharmacist by the title doctor(especially in a medical setting) for the sole ego stroke that it is....btw my father is a PhD in Economics, is a professor at a prominent university, and he never once introduced himself to anyone as Dr. Smith. Yes he is certainly referred to as Dr. in the academic/university setting and by his students, however he feels the degree is not a title in the same may that the title Dr. for physicians is their degree, title and occupation. There is a difference. We all know there is....I'll leave you with this. If someone falls down and is having a heart attack and someone yells, "is there a doctor in the house?", we all know they are not asking for a PharmD, a JD, an OD or a DDS.

13. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Solid input, a year later. You, fucking, clown.

14. anonymous

anonymous Guest

And yet here you are reading it...

15. anonymous

anonymous Guest

still not a year, dumb ass

16. anonymous

anonymous Guest

And no, PharmD's should not be routinely addressed as "Doctor", just as lawyers are not routinely addressed as "Doctor", the same way we do not customarily call nurses who earn a doctorate of nursing (DNP) doctor, especially in the healthcare setting where customarily the only people addressed as "doctor" are physicians. Customary language, honorifics and titles should remain in place as society does not view a pharmacists as a doctor in the same way they view an MD as a doctor.

PharmD's wanting to be addressed as Doctor is 100% an ego play and title grab.

17. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Well Dr. Jill Biden gets recognized as a Dr. and may even get an appointment to Surgeon General. Its a sign of respect- they earned it give it to them.

18. anonymous

anonymous Guest

She has an EdD...she is not working in a medical capacity...again why don’t lawyers ask to be called Doctor, after all, using your logic, they’ve earned it?

19. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Sounds like a lot of people who either couldn't get into pharmacy school or didn't finished on here. Whoever made this post sounds disgruntled and unhappy. PharmD are the only experts in the field of drug therapies across the boad....they take 4 Years learning drugs while MDs take1 semester. They go through 4 Years of training...have to take several exams throughout and boards....plus law exams....do clinical only after passing a major exam to be in the field on rotations. Many also go on to residency to specialize in certain treatment areas. Since we are on the subject of doctor...if a MD can do it all...about all PharmDs stop supporting them and see how many lawsuits come up from deaths of patients from misguided therapies especially those that are complex. MDs cannot do it all...they do not know it all..and I've met some pretty dumb doctors. Let's also talk about doctors who get their degrees from schools in the island and how most of them are incompetent as island medical schools let in people that the US schools would not. Go play on that topic and leave PharmDs alone.

20. anonymous

anonymous Guest

And all that training to look at a computer screen at the back of a supermarket, counting generic BP meds by fives, regurgitating the ISI on the screen to a new patient while making sure the tech's clocked in and out on time and that the key to both the bathroom and condom cases are hung on their correct hooks. Must be awesome rocking that 2015 Camry while living with your parents so you can pay down those loans. $250K a year doesn't sound like that much money anymore does it?

AMAZING career choice! Talk about a job that will be lost to automation. Google "robot/virtual pharmacist at Stanford"...it's coming my dear pill counter...it's coming.

You met some pretty dumb MD's? Sure I don't disagree...likewise I have met plenty of PharmD's who are morons with most sitting squarely on the spectrum.

Perhaps you should do some research on your own profession...you will find that Pharmacy School was the fallback for many applicants after not getting into Medical, Dental or Law School - as those are the three preferred professions of first generation immigrant parents, with Pharmacy School often times being an embarrassment to the family. Also there are plenty of ex US/Island pharmacy schools that many of you hail from, so Med schools are not alone there as those schools you are talking crap about all have pharmacy schools...guessing there flow back to the US.

"Many go to residency" You may want to check your facts on that as well since the data shows the vast majority of PharmD's become retail pharmacists. You may want to rephrase that to "a few" go into residency.

If you can count and read you too can do 98% of a pharmacist's job in the retail setting...again that is where most of you land. Don't let these pharmD's tell you they are all working in research, drug development, etc.. Those are the PhD's in disciplines like biochem, molecular bio, physics etc.