pompous and condescending award acceptance speeches need to stop!

Discussion in 'Genentech' started by anonymous, Jan 28, 2018 at 11:06 PM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Whatever happened to humility? The award acceptance speeches were over the top. Do they honestly believe they do anything different from many other hard working reps? Good for those that are lucky to win an award considering the majority are blessed with high volume territories, but it is sickening to hear these long speeches that go for several minutes on how great they are. When they pull out a pre-written acceptance speech and begin with Ladies And Gentleman, you know your in for a long pompous speech full of hot air. The long speeches can be eliminated as most are engineered with key words to kiss up to upper management. Just let the award presentation say a few nice things about you then pick up your award and sit down. No one wants to sit through this crap all night long.

2. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Thank you for illuminating something that reflects a big part of the entitlement attitude here, it has gone off the rails.

3. anonymous

anonymous Guest

I have to agree as well. Many of us in Impact were discussing this on awards night. It was grueling to be there and the speeches went on and on. The person that won rep of the year for Ocrevus was completely over the top and acted like he worked harder, worked better than anyone in the franchise. His prepared speech was ridiculous. Everyone knows there is gaping disparity from one territory to another in this division and he is extremely lucky to have the territory with MS centers like he has and nothing more. People really don’t want to hear this kind of crap anymore.

4. anonymous

anonymous Guest

5. anonymous

anonymous Guest

6. anonymous

anonymous Guest

That penis gobbler that has The Godfather off-cell therapy in his territory thinks he's the real deal doesn't he? What a joke

7. anonymous

anonymous Guest

B-cell therapy

8. anonymous

anonymous Guest

I’m not going to get personal, but I do find it curious that a Rep would take credit for 68 year old Dr. Stephen Hausers life’s work. I agree, trash the awards in this franchise, because it is so obvious who wins. Those that have KeyThought Leaders and large MS Centers will continue to win. I wish we could make attendance that evening optional.

9. anonymous

anonymous Guest

It is what it is and will always be.

10. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Sounds like a true Genentech elitist, doubt it was a former Biogen or Teva rep. Sorry you had to sit through this painful experience. Any insight to which division this highly lauded CS hails from?. Was Amy VanB grinning and bearing it in the background?

11. anonymous

anonymous Guest

The Ocre FRM of the Year was the worst, such a phony! the reality is that he’s a self-centered, spoiled and condescending jerk. He has his LT fooled while most of his peers can’t stand him and don’t consider him a leader at all.

12. anonymous

anonymous Guest

It’s so funny this came up about this idiot. I literally am being honest here. Not one member of my team even knew who he was. He was such a jerk on stage. If there was a vote, most people in the MS division would say no awards. Let’s face it, the territories are so unfairly disproportionate from one to another. There is NO WAY a low volume territory will ever win excellence. The award ceremony is demotivating NOT motivating. To have us sit there and listen to this blowhard was extremely painful. “Ladies and Gentleman and honored guests” YIKES! Who is this as*hole? Of course California is going to win team of the year. Of course this jerk is going to win because he has the top MS physician and huge MS center. I personally know one of the top 5 and they do jack shit. They can’t even see their top doctor. As he pulled the heavily prepared speech with carefully selected words to kiss up to upper management, we all wanted to hurl. The guy was probably one of the biggest egomaniacs and the epidomy of fake I have ever witnessed. This is the only time in my career spanning over 25 years that I would say it’s absolutely unfair to have a ranking when these territories are so unequally divided. You stick an idiot like him in a low volume territory and you would see reality.

13. anonymous

anonymous Guest

You are spot on with your words. It was an embarrassing spectacle on that stage. I have no respect for this person at all. Lucky to have Dr. Hauser in his territory. His numbers have absolutely nothing to do with what he has done. People like him think so highly of themselves that it’s sick.

14. anonymous

anonymous Guest

He will move on in a year and that will be a highlight on his resume.

15. anonymous

anonymous Guest

You think yours was bad. You should have been in BioOnc...Now that was hysterical. You just have to laugh(and of course drink heavily). Most were good solid reps that had a good year who deserved some kudos. But hmmmm one new franchise you scratch your head. OCC HCC whatever, is a popularity contest. The BAM guy from Florida was amazing, and very funny, made my night. Heard he knew MCCO well. In that case applause applause. I for one, would hate to see this go away as it is a nice event. What companies reward their people in such a nice way. Live with it and maybe someday your numbers will have good timing, and we can judge you when you have your speech too! Cheers Peace Out.

16. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Oh geez. I sat there and zipped my mouth shut and couldn’t believe what I was watching. I’m so relieved to hear many people felt the same way I did. What a circus! That OCREVUS rep that won the award was a phony of the highest order. I also couldn’t believe the prepared speech as well. Terrible! Absolutely terrible! I just read the last person’s comments. In all due respect, just let the company say a few nice words about you, then take your trophy and sit down. I can’t believe anyone would truly enjoy sitting there for hours and listening to these people full of hot air. The saddest part of this division is realizing and hearing reps think they literally are better than everyone else. For those reading this that are not from the MS space, will just have to take our word when we say that the territories that have been sketched out have not been done fairly. I have 12 years in the industry and I could have told you who would be all the top reps before we even hit the pavement. It’s simple. If you have a large MS center you will look like a champion. The man that arrogantly stood up on that stage and spat out his self righteous praises did absolutely nothing to get that business and he knows it. It’s sad Genentech literally uses the words high and low volume territories. I’d like to see this idiot get transferred into a low volume territory and see how well he would do. I can emphatically say nothing. Remove the rank report Genentech because you haven’t cut the territories fairly and you don’t even credit from the prescribing physician.

17. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Top pharma rep = best deli boy . Y’all don’t sell only market . Join the big boys and get a real sales job .

18. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Aside from a few moronic comments above. I agree with everyone else. Acceptance speeches at Genentech have become increasingly self-indulgent. They are encouraged to share (or over-share) the personal “ Genentech journey” in which they overcame obstacles to arrive at this stage and this award. Thus the appearance of the ubiquitous little white pieces of paper—crib sheets for winners. It’s embarrassing to witness. I’m in lyrics and when that bozo from the MS franchise got up and used every possible Genentech buzz word he could muster, we all just laughed at our table. What an insincere, fake, disingenuous person! Do you guys really respect this guy? But what made us all mad is when the condescending and superior attitude came out. We have been saying this for years now that there shouldn’t be acceptance speeches or a midway break. We are not at the Grammy’s and this isn’t entertaining. By the way, did everyone else think the award dinner food was the worst in Genentech’s history? Holy sh*t, it was bad.

19. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Having worked there for the last decade and left last year, I see that elitism is alive and well there. NSM was both a good meeting and a time to dread - referring to the awards dinner. You just held your breath that someone you knew who won had a sense of humility and respect for all of the hard work that his/her colleagues put in their own territories.
    I along with others truly believe the combination of ranking territories and allowing the top dog to pontificate on stage is part of the goal of motivation for others to follow their example or, re-evaluate whether they’re cut out for this job and go elsewhere.
    The company has lost it’s reputation as a destination employer (where you want to retire) and I don’t see it getting any better going forward. If BA thinks his cost cutting last fall through layoffs will help turn it around, i for one don’t see it happening.
    The culture has changed for the worse, the leadership team leads through fear and intimidation, the FRM’s think they’re untouchable while they bring NO VALUE and there is more elitism within certain franchises while others hang on for survival.
    Hopefully someone will take aside the “best of the best” winner and educate them on what it means to be humble and appreciative.

20. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Sounds like there are a lot of jealous people in our company. We are cut throat, political, pretenious, lazy, and now jealous. I can't wait to leave. NSM seems like a waste of money.....lots of excessive drinking, gambling, free gifts and entertainment. I find this disgusting. Time to leave.