Reminder to drug reps from a nurse (who used to be a drug rep)

Discussion in 'The Darkened Sample Closet' started by anonymous, Mar 26, 2017 at 12:10 PM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Hello All -

What a difficult job you have. I get it. I was a drug rep for 18 years with three of the largest companies. After I was laid off I went back to school and did the RN to BSN route, I've worked in a hospital, an LTC, done some home care as a rent-a-nurse and am now in the public sector. But now I see from the other side a complete disconnect in communication you have: You think you know more than me.

It's so painful for me as you click off company talking points, verbally going down the list so that you can log the call later on your computer - things so basic that perhaps you feel this remedial reminder with improve my patient care. You forget that I do this specific type of healthcare all day long and so I know more than you. I pour over journal articles in my free time and listen to pertinent webinars to increase my knowledge. I give presentations to nurses and patients. You push to order your product in my clinic and talk disparagingly about the competition. And I, many years ago, did the same damn thing as a drug rep.

Basically, I hate the me that I was. Please managers out there, help your reps to understand their audience better and reps remember that you are in the precarious position of selling to those with more healthcare education than yourself. Ask a few open-ended questions before you begin to gauge the listeners information needs. You have some useful information for me in my practice. Address my needs, not yours. Please help to make our meeting a successful one.

2. anonymous

anonymous Guest

We all have different styles that work.

As long as the focus is on helping the patient, then the providers appreciate it, as they are running a business.

3. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Totally agree!! Next time a rep comes in with their manager, please tell the manager your feelings. Marketing and management make these stupid quarterly "position statements" to reach company $$$ goals. They have no respect for the clinician. Please tell them, corporate that you don't need to be retaught, just how the drug benefits the patient and insurance coverage. Period.

4. anonymous

anonymous Guest

what about the bs line mgrs tell me to use " I have earned the right to close, so close them" what right have I earned, I got thru training?

5. anonymous

anonymous Guest

You want useful information but you are forgetting that all of the studies are old and that basically nothing new can be discussed as it has not been approved by the legal department which they never do. It is so sad that information that is commenly published cannot be handed out or discussed. Rep are like a boxer with one hand behind their back trying to win a fight. You are the exception if you indeed have stuides new information as most medical providers do not do that at all unless forced.

6. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Great OG post. I"m a former rep-work in healthcare settings in business management/research. They will not change, nor do they get it.

I used to sell to address needs and earn right by finding out how I could best be a resource to the HCP. That's how I was trained in the mid 90's-a training that required 2 years of training with 2-3 month interval breaks between 2-3 week long sessions. However, as I continued in the field, trainings were at most 2 weeks by horrible managers that just shoved the script down reps throats and threw them out there. There's a lack of comprehension of the total office call. Now, there's a total lack of need for the sales rep.

I loved the TOC; however, there's no room for that in the compliance laden industry called pharma that requires robots with hair gel, tats and stilletos to push product. Congrats on your reinvention! You are the 2nd person I know that has become a nurse. I pursued a biz degree ontop of my 2 sci. degrees that I had going into pharma. My life is meaningful and work with purpose. I can handle alot bc I"m used to rejection and know how to sell myself.

Good Selling!

7. anonymous

anonymous Guest

I was an RN before I became a Pharma rep. Guess what, nurses are more stressed, no respect, lousy pay. There is no difference between wiping people's assess and kissing them. I just get to wear nicer clothes.

8. anonymous

anonymous Guest

You got it!!!

9. anonymous

anonymous Guest

BS. Nurses made great money vs. the amount of education and training they have. Stressed out? Really? Maybe the Triage Nurse in the ER night shift. The rest of the nurses have easy jobs, assuming the doctor they are under is reasonable, which most doctors are.

10. anonymous

anonymous Guest

If I get told one more time how I need to have 'swag' and 'hold my customers accountable', I'm gonna puke.