RVPs vs FLLs

Discussion in 'GlaxoSmithKline' started by anonymous, Jun 9, 2018 at 11:10 PM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Where is more money wasted, RVPs or FLLs? Both are useless when it comes to generating revenue. Basically, they’re overpaid brainwashed company yes men. There are way too many of both. I’d say the company could slash 50 percent of RVPs and FLLs and maintain, if not grow sales. Surprised that shareholders haven’t realized this long ago. If there had to be cutbacks in our future, who do you think should go first?

2. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Cut both! Both are useless. Except those “valuable” ride alongs or emails and trackers. The decisions are made by the Yes woman SVPs who all follow the same “strategic” model. 8 calls per day, regurgitate marketing message at each stop. Simple .. at this point we should contract with fedex or UPS reps to check in to 8 offices a day.

3. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Get the sense that both SVP’s and FLL’s are terrified since they know this year a huge test to see what happens st GSK. They have no clue how to motivate the sales force. What I am seeing is a lot of old school criticism and they are covering their asses with stupid reports and useless metrics to prove that they did “everything” to push sales. I can see a huge reckoning coming and heads will roll. Good luck to many if these “leaders” finding a job after failing at Gsk.

4. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Let's face it, pharma sales is a dyeing business. At a minimum it is a contracting business model. With consolidation of medical groups and the increasing amount of healthcare system influence there is indeed a reckoning coming. In my opinion, there will always be a physical sales presence with field/account representation. To the OPs original question, yes, GSK has far too many SVPs and FLLs. My FLL has seven direct reports...SEVEN! Talk about a redundant position. In my estimation GSK could cut 50% of the SVPs, 25% of the FLLs, and depending on how lean you want to go 20% of the Primary Care Sales division. Of course the contract sales force can and should be eliminated as soon as Advair goes generic. The problem with cutting too much of your sales force is that you in the risk of being too small. We do have competitors and without a physical presence, sales will evaporate. Sales representatives are a necessary evil. The company hates this little but significant fact, but it is a fact. Another fact they hate to acknowledge is how insignificant middle and upper management really are. As I mentioned, my FLL oversees seven people. He could easily...EASILY...manage twelve. With a managers compensation package hovering around 200K+, just removing 5 of them saves 1 million dollars. Just sayin.

5. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Thank you for your 'wisdom'! Just know that GSK just had a major evaluation of needs by ZS Associates and they determined how many reps are needed.

6. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Is that meant to be a threat corporate troll?? You don’t scare me.

7. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Takes them a third party consulting agency to find out 4 products and 6 reps per footprint is too many ... with no access clinics more prevalent than ever. Typical GSK.

8. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Weren’t they the third party geniuses who recommended the reorganization a year ago that was a disaster and caused market share to plunge. Either someone at Gsk an idiot or they’re sleeping with someone there-or perhaps getting paid off? Is our board of directors asleep????!!!

9. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Where to start? I’m for people having jobs, I actually don’t mind the layers of jobs as it’s nice to be able to move up into something or at least have the carrot dangled.....The issue is how these line leaders act and lead while coming up with both delusional and dumb ideas.

Between all the line leaders handing out kindergarten busy work, having basic business sense, knowing the market, and hiring troll monitors, this company continues to throw obstacles in the fields way for reasons many will never understand.

10. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Well then....share! What came out of this "evaluation of needs"? We'd love to know

11. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Nithing came out of it. It’s the usual for GSK. They have to make sure there is a 3rd party so when they “decrease the headcount” they can say it was based on the recommendations of the 3rd party.

12. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Yeah the consultants are usually paid to say whatever needs to be said on behalf of legal and whatever dumb idea gathers enough consensus.

13. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Just hope next the layoff or reorganization won’t be based on these ratings. They really need to look to see if someone is working before they give someone a high rating. When a rep has the lowest share in the region and makes 8 trelegy calls in a row without even leaving a sample during launch, you have to wonder if they are working. Management, make sure someone is working before they get rated higher than their colleagues that work and produce sales results.

14. anonymous

anonymous Guest

That's the GSK way....for many years.

15. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Reps getting 8-9 calls a day are either faking it or sample droppers. GSK leadership has their head so far up their ass that they don’t see this. Good dialogue = 6 calls / day

16. anonymous

anonymous Guest

The only dead wood we have around right now are the RSDs and FLLs. How many do we need? They justify their jobs by ridding with reps. As if they have all the answers. While reps are expensive, they are the best bang for the marketing buck! No other investment has proven to drive sales more than a field rep. Oh, I can hear int now...but what about TV and print ads? What about conventions? What about, what about ...look, the fact is reps generate sales and have a tremendous amount of influence due to relationships. Its a fact. So what does an RSD bring to the table? Especially when they only manage 8 FLLs? Not a whole hell of a lot. Oh but they will ride with a rep and act as if they have all the answers. RSDs.. the clock is ticking.

17. anonymous

anonymous Guest

They have no clue what’s happening here especially if hired from outside the company. The good RVP’s got fired cause they spoke up about issues we are facing. Why do you think sales are not hitting goals? Bad leadership and bad strategies. We are not miracle workers and management could care less about our input.Case in point the reorganization last year. A disaster that keeps on coming.

18. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Micromanagement is at an all time High!! The managers have absolutely nothing to do. They delegate what little admin they are expected to do to the reps so we have to not only work all day in the filed driving sales but on top of that we have to do their district data analysis, district managed care deep dives, district business plans etc. at nights and on weekends in the spirit of OUR development they call it. In Respiratory they are trying to think of things daily to contact you about to justify getting paid that day. I have ridden in the field four times with management just this semester. My 3 counterparts have also ridden four times with management. We all see almost exactly the same customers (Puds, Allergists, IM) so our poor customers are getting ambushed 16 times in less than a 6month period. There are only so many doctors that will allow you to bring management into their offices so we all take them to the same docs. Drs ask...why are they with you? Don't they trust that you are doing your job? The company doesn't need to pay two people to do the same job at the same time. If I/we need that much supervision than you have hired the wrong person/people. And pretty soon these physicians are going to say enough. And will become NO SEEs. Their time is valuable and we need to respect that and earn that. Not abuse it just because we have a STEM innitiative!

19. anonymous

anonymous Guest

I believe Emma is on the right tract. The problem is that she has such a mess to clean up in order to pull through better ways of working: Innovation, Performance and most of all TRUST which should be at the beginning of these three. our SLLs and FLLs are not Leaders. That is the Crux of it! It used to be that the majority of these folks were Leaders. They were courageous enough to speak up when things weren't right because they could trust that their opinions were valued and that they wouldn't be retaliated against. Now the majority of the people that hold these positions are just managers if that. Very few have an original thought or idea of their own. and many have been in these positions for over a decade clogging up the system for new talent. she needs to do a 360 on every SLL and FLL and then from those results clean house appropriately. Sometimes when you let your house go for too long it is beyond repair. Sometimes it just makes sense to knock it down and rebuild with newer, better, stronger, advanced materials :)

20. anonymous

anonymous Guest