Sales Burn-out/ Severe Depression...

Discussion in 'Medical Equipment/Device Sales-General Discussion' started by Anonymous, Sep 6, 2013 at 10:30 PM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Looking for advice here. Or serious help!

been selling medical for over 12 years now. First 8 years were very successful and brought me great income. soon after my most successful year in sales, both financially and company accolades-wise, I suffered consecutive panic attacks... I then Left my company for what I thought were greener pastures... better technology, more advanced product line and had a disaster of an experience with two consecutive companies. My income was cut literally in half. To make ends meet and sustain QOL, we had to use all of my retirement. it's gone.

Left medical devices for a new career path in Technology and Services sector... sales cycle is at least 6 months long, sometimes up to 2 years. to date I've only closed 3 deals and aside from salary (still half of what I used to make) I am not earning any commissions on those sales.

This month marks the end of my ability to pay for my house and fully support my family. I've become severely depressed...it is now affecting my ability to even conduct sales calls, my anxiety is so high. I am borderline agoraphobic. I cannot see the light at the end of the tunnel.

For years I enjoyed my job to the fullest and had great success. It has all collapsed. My anxiety and panic attacks have affected my ability to even communicate with prospective leads... I am getting nowhere and my pipeline has dissolved... this, in turn, creates more anxiety and depression. I am lost.

Medical sales is all I've done for over 15 years. I feel like I've developed no other skill. And I literally can't do it anymore. But no other profession pays what I need to support my family.

I need some advice fast.

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Seek real professional help. Reaching out to people on an anonymous board filled with people who love nothing more than to vent their personal and professional frustrations by making fun of people truly asking for advice is probably not going to be cathartic enough for you.
    At some point, someone will answer this post with an idiotic response calling you a name and belittling you.
    Best bet is to turn to family, friends, religion or something along those lines short term, and seek professional help long term.
    Also would think long and hard about getting out of this altogether. Sales is not an easy lifestyle and is the reason we are paid better than most. If it's no longer fun, you're no longer going to be able to produce.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Im not an expert - just a former anxious depressive.

Call your company's employee assistance hotline 24/7; call is anonymous - it's very helpful to speak with trained professionals

See a doc and get on anti-anxiety meds if you feel you need too - the episodes are unbearable

Get counseling - this is long-term and more beneficial than the meds

Anxiety/depression can be a disability - file for it if you need to - take a leave of absence

Change your lifestyle - diet and exercise cliche but true - endorphins are natural mood boosters - quit alcohol and tobacco if you can or cut down

Self-help: Read Awaken the Giant Within by Tony Robbins - yes it sounds corny but it helped me a lot - explained to me the psychology - we are our thoughts

Lucinda Bassett is an anxiety expert - I used to listen to her tapes way back when - she has a YouTube channel: http://m.youtube.com/user/LucindaBassett

Remember, your worth as a human is not defined by your job or finances or your current station in life - you deserve peace of mind as does everyone else

People will post mean things in response but you know already know that - take the good and ignore the bad

I really wish you well friend

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I absolutely agree with the post above.

First though I want to congratulate you for taking the first step to acknowledge your fears and concerns.

I went through this in 2006/2007 but mine was caused by taking care of my mother after a massive stroke. It cost me EVERYTHING.

I write this to you today a mentally healthy and happy person. If you are the primary or sole income provider the inability to provide for your family is one of the most horrifying and stressful situations. When you go to conduct sales calls there is a two-fold issue. First - the pressure to close the sale and second - you fear these strangers and people will somehow find out about your financial issues which is shameful.

The inability to go to the store or even interact with people because of your shame becomes paralyzing. SEEK PROFESSIONAL ASSISTANCE...

Unfortunately, to do this you need $. We know by what you said you don't have it so you need to get in to your control the things you CAN.

I had to file bankruptcy and trust me, sir, I was raised better than that. But, at this point I could not even use a credit card for the $50 deductible on a rental car.

You must sit with your family and ve honest about expenses. Cell phones, cable, direct TV, insurance coverages, eating out, EVERYTHING needs to be assessed and cut off/back where possible. If you have kids, the may sulk but they do painfully get it.

Lastly, the house. This is the hardest. Consult a real estate professional as to your value vs payoff and determine if it is time to downsize.

You WILL GET THROUGH THIS if you keep a level head and keep this all in the most clearest perspective.

You are NOT defined by what you own, drive, live in or do. You are defined at the end of your life by the friends you made and the lives you touched.

Hold your head high and remember, unless your "friends" are willing to contribute to your financial upkeep, their opinion is irrelevant and the good ones will be there even if you are broke azz poor!

5. check out unfulfilled-dot-org

This isn't a promo, as you'll see if you visit the site. Read some of the true life stories, people who were dealing with tremendous challenges like you are. There is a way out!

I'm totally serious, I've been filled with the blackest despair and hopeless during the past few years and felt I would never see the light of day again. There is hope, and (with apologies to a previous poster) you won't find it in books or a psychiatrist's office. Those are temporary fixes. You need a lasting hope and peace in your life.

You are weary, tired and looking for answers. Check out unfulfilled.

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I agree with most of this as I have been in your shoes and currently have a similar problem.. First thing you should look at is call the help line through your employer health insurance for mental help.. They will provide you some help in seeing a physician who can take you off work on STD to help get some calmness in your life.. Work with that and any FMLA you have left to give you some time to get some medical help as well as some counseling to see clearer..

I wish you the best of luck.. Remember, your family will be there and be happy with a happy you, and you will be amazed how much of the material things you think you need to provide, that they really don't care about. They care about a happy anf fulfilled Dad!!

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Medical sales can be a tough road.. even when things are going great, there is stress!! But this is probably true of whatever we chose to do. We are who we are and we're wired this way... that's why we seek out and do well at these jobs. Most medical sales jobs are not for normal people(if done properly). Normal being.. 9-5 in a post office, but even that drives people crazy hence the saying "go postal." So, what's the solution? Well, at least in my case, the bad news is I'm the problem, but the good news is, I'm the problem. And if you're anything like me, you can do some things to change your perspective if you're sick and tired of being sick and tired and want to make a change. I can only share what's worked for me. I start every day asking the big guy upstairs how I can be of service to the people in my life(family, friends, neighbors, strangers as well as customers).. To me, this means placing their needs and interests in front of my own. It can't be all about me.. it just doesn't work for me. I also spend time considering all that I have to be grateful for. There's a lot!!! There are people who have a lot less than I do and they're very happy! Gratitude is critical since I'm usually focused on and obsessing about what I don't have or what I think I need to be happy. I actually need very little and have lived on almost nothing in the past. Next, I know that if I work hard and do the next right thing, things tend to work out.. maybe not exactly how I would like, but they do. Faith, gratitude and service. These have to be my guiding principles or I'd be trembling out the door myself. Simple ideas like doing the next right thing or doing the next indicated step or doing what's in front of me. These are the simple thoughts that guide me from one action to another. At times when there is uncertainty, which is often, I follow these simple ideas and am guided to do what I need to do. I also tend to be present and in the moment as opposed to living in fear about "what might happen." These thoughts are destructive. I hope this helps. I'm sorry to hear that you're struggling and hope you can find peace of whatever you chose to do. Take care..

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

You need to cut expenses drastically, pay yourself first so you never have less than a 6 month emergency fund, tell your creditors to negotiate or screw themselves, and think about what talents you have (or can develop) that can be marketed to employers. This is a challenging process, but when have you ever backed down from a challenge? With respect, stop being a wuss and man up. Your family needs you.

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Very similar boat as you my friend, 12 years medical sales, completely burned out, stressed, losing weight...finally said enough is enough, resigned from my job about a month ago, best move I ever made! Have savings and getting un-employment. Taking my kids to school, picking them up, yeah I'm that dad standing out there with all the stay at home moms, but I don't care, I love it! I am fortunate though, my wife works and makes decent money.

I've recently decided I'm going to get back in the sales game, but on my terms! I am establishing an LLC and I'm going to be a 1099 Independent Rep. This is where our industry is going anyway IMO, with Obamacare and CMS slashing reimbursement, companies cannot afford to have robust W-2 sales forces anymore. I get to pick and choose what prodcuts I want to carry. And believe me, you can bet they will be low stress products..I have secured two already, one is pain creams and the other wound care dressings. If you go on Gorilla or Linkedin or any of these sites there are manufacturers begging for Independent representation. I don't think it will be any problem getting 3,4,5 products in my bag. Enough to help with the bills and have a little fun, that's all I need.

I wish you the best OP, just know you are not alone in this. I talk to so many of my friends and colleagues from around the nation that are in medical sales and you would'nt believe the number of people who are experiencing the same thing right now!

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I am not a regular on CP, however, I was going through the topics and this caught my interest.
    It made me feel better to see others feel the same. I am a medical device sales manager with 8 direct reports. I have had a successful career in devices, however, I can't take it anymore so much, I actually don't want to do it anymore. I have stayed with it, because of being the primary provider for my family. I thought about many things from quitting to disability, to asking company to just let me go and hopefully providing some sort of severance. I am completely unsure of next steps. I do know one thing, I do not want to be a manager anymore. I am a manager who trusts and doesn't micro manage reps, however, the micro management a manager suffers from above is unbearable. I have been around enough to know, the majority of companies are like this, so leaving for somewhere else thinking it will be better is a long shot.
    I wish the OP the best and hope all works out!

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I feel so comforted and impressed by everyone's heartfelt responses.

I'm not the OP.

it just goes to show that even on a board where it's been said that "most" people are "bitter"
    and "just bitching", the community of med device salespeople is quick to help and provide honesty, and encouragement to strangers.

As someone who has suffered from burnout, my boss stealing my job because I was the top performer, etc....I've seen the worst of this industry. It's nice to see everyone rally for such an important topic.

Well done!

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I too am shocked both by the honesty of the OP and the compassion of those who have responded.

I am 10 years into medical sales, have continued to ascend into the more "sought after" roles and am making the best money of my life. But I becoming increasingly less fulfilled by the money, more stressed by the expectations, and need an additional 20 plus years until I can retire.

We all need a wake up call. We get so wrapped up in the money and the lifestyle- we become pussies incapable of coming to grips with the fact that none of it makes US happy- we continue to do it to support what we think our families need.

My advice is to reassess what your true family needs are. I have a 10 month old daughter-when I am watching her crawl on the floor I don't give a shit about work and she doesn't give a shit about what I sold that day. My wife doesn't either. I am beginning to realize the pressure comes from within.

Reassess what you enjoy doing, where you can contribute to society. Reassess what your family "needs." The qualities that made you a standout performer are transferrable. Figure out where you need to be. I need to take my own advice.

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Very true. I was once in your position. I thought all of the money and career success was what my family needed. What they really needed was a father and husband who isn't detached because he was on the computer every night, working late, stressed about the numbers. I got my wake up call a few times-rescued my sanity and saved my marriage.
    There is hope out there for the folks feeling stressed and burned out. Look past this industry. It may take time but find a true calling or a new calling. Best of luck!

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

OP how did everything turn out for you?

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Been curious myself. Hope he's doing okay.

For a bunch of anonymous blow hards, we certainly feel it when brother/sister is in pain and distress. :)

16. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

OP.....I'd advise you to seek psychiatry to get things sorted. It's obvious that you've kept these things inside within your home life. For the sake of your mental health, I'd suggest talking these things out with a therapist, with perhaps a pharmaceutical adjunct to the therapy. No sense in living your life in dread and pain on a daily basis....something can be done to help you, you just need to seek out the appropriate assistance.

17. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Hope OP is doing ok.

18. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

OP and responders -
    Thank you for honesty and compassion. I feel the same way after 17 years in med sales: I have lost my game face, I can't get it back and I realize I don't want it back. One of my former managers texted me that he only has access to phone on weekends now, in his words, he is "off the grid" working at a lodge. He was an excellent sales manager, motivating, real, and kind. Med sales no longer sees the value of real and kind; this is a loss all the way around as, in my experience, I believe co-workers and customers appreciate and respond to these qualities, resulting in profits for a company. These companies haven't forged ahead without us, rather they have gotten lost on a path of shortsighted gluttony at any human cost, whether it's patient or employees (of course, we are all patients).

19. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Do what you need to change your situation. I was a sales manger for 15 years at a medical device company - and the only female. I had 12 reps. It got to the point where I was so burned out I was checking out and didn't care any more. I was unhappy, unfulfilled and needed something different - I wanted to be responsible for me, myself and I and no one else. I wrote up a new job description for what I wanted to do for my company, presented it and luckily, they accepted my job proposal. I got the pep in my step back and still so happy three years later.

20. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I am truly impressed and wish all of you well!!!!!