Sexual harassment at Amgen

Discussion in 'Amgen' started by anonymous, Aug 29, 2019 at 12:41 AM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Why are so many males given a free pass to sexually harass and abuse females in this company? Most of this is done in so called offices of the future settings and management just turns the other way worrying that reporting to HR will jeopardize their precious cushy jobs. They won’t back the sexually harassed employees even if they go and report it themselves due to the same reason.
    Sexism is pervasive at this company and some of the worst offenders are upper management females with their 1950s mentality, who act as if females bring this kind of treatment due to the way they act or dress or look or whatever.
    Come out of the dark ages Amgen and open your eyes!

2. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Haven't seen this even once, not a single example. Most people are actually afraid of sexual harassment claims going to HR and getting fired over it. So if you're going to to whine and make aggressive and controversial bold statements like that you damn sure better have concrete examples, and plenty of them, or get out of here with that. You have not given one single example, just a very broad vague sweeping statement about the company in general.

3. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Lol you must be Amgen HR or some sheep of a manager. What this person is saying is completely true. Seen it happen multiple times to women.

4. anonymous

anonymous Guest

I am neither actually. And yet still no examples. You say you've seen it happen so many times so tell us all exactly what you have seen so many times. This is just like the racist white people everywhere thread. Big claims but when someone asks for evidence...crickets.

5. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Would saved IMs with sexually explicit content work for you or other employees who see men touching women without consent in open spaces work for you or you need more graphic details? I am assuming you are one of the people who actually condone this behavior or someone who actually have engaged in this type of behavior. Why so defensive? Hmmm??

6. anonymous

anonymous Guest

You must be a total dimwit if you think Amgen HR will help the employee being harassed. They are there to protect the company and what the original poster said is true. It is not some white male political BS issue you are trying to make it into. It’s reality and women/men will start coming forward when they deem safe to do so. It is not something the current Amgen culture takes seriously.

7. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Asking for evidence is defensive? Not even a little bit. Why so aggressive and throwing accusations left and right. If you had saved IMS with sexually explicit content then you'd have gone to HR and that person would have been fired immediately. I'd never sexually harass someone, especially via IM. I love my job and would never risk it for mostly unattractive women anyway. Everyone has things said to them by people that can offend them, including me. But if it's as incriminating as you say, then do something about it and stop whining, or you're full shit. I have never and will never risk that at work. It's not worth it. I don't even look at women as sexual objects at work. I barely talk to them for fear of lawsuits and getting fired. Outside of work is where I'm a pervert and get my groove on. Know where to my places.

As I already said, you are the aggressive one. Absolutely nothing wrong with me asking for proof when you throw around those kind of accusations. If it's as bad as you say, do something about it. Don't say there's nothing you can do. That's total bs.

8. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Yes and in the case of harassment it's two employees against each other. Not the company against an employee. You're repeating talking points because you're a weak fool. Have you even taken evidence to HR? Getting rid of someone who sexually harasses people IS protecting the company against lawsuits. Clearly none of your are attorneys.

9. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Yep that would do it for me. I seriously doubt HR would turn a blind eye if what you claim is true. If they did a decent lawyer could do serious damage with that kind of evidence.

I don’t condone this behavior or have ever engaged in it. It’s reprehensible. It runs off great people and creates a toxic culture.

As to accusations...the accuser is not to be automatically believed but to be taken seriously. Every false allegation of sexual harassment or racism hurts efforts to reach equality....and there is a lot of unsubstantiated claims and upon further investigation outright lies being told.

If you are a social justice keyboard warrior....Shame on you. But if you have evidence I’ll stand with you.

10. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Bravo. Someone else with a brain. Exactly right. If this person has highly incriminating evidence then yes it will certainly do it for me and for HR. Because yes ignoring it would certainly open the company up to a lawsuit for not doing anything about it. All these people who keep repeating "HR isn't here for the employees, they just protect the company" do not understand what they're saying at all. Clearly they aren't attorneys and aren't Amgen's best and brightest employees. Maybe that's why you're all so bitter? The company would be protecting itself by taking your harassment claim seriously if you had evidence BECAUSE it would be in the company's best interest to do so. As this poster has so eloquently stated. This thread is filled with a bunch of whining fools who are either dumb, have no real evidence, or haven't actually tried to bring it to HR, or some combination thereof.

11. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Personally I've never seen sexual harassment but I've seen a lot of other forms and so have a lot of other people. I went to HR twice with the same issue (with actual proof) and the first time I was totally blown off and second time the person seemed to take me seriously but never did a darn thing about it. The manager I reported has a laundry list of targeting certain people and I had proof where they had actually straight up lied on coaching reports and even Reviews. They even wrote a coaching report acting as if they were with me in the field when they weren't and I gave actual proof of this and HR did nothing. You can call people dumb all you want but the only dumb thing I did was put up with it for as long as I did thinking something would actually be done. You are either an HR rep or you are one of the mangers being protected.

12. anonymous

anonymous Guest

I'm neither actually. But to be fair I work at headquarters not in the field. Things are likely very different where I am than in sales. I have worked in various functions, none in sales or HR, and I'm not a manager. I have a feeling people get away with more in sales where you are. Things work very different in TO. So I may have a very different experience than you.

13. anonymous

anonymous Guest

It usually takes years for any particular harassment case to gain attention. The perpetrator has the legal advantage if they only did it a few times. All you need to do is look at the headlines, where the the vast majority of perpetrators that we actually hear about, had done it for years and years to multiple people. Often it was well-known that the perp was doing it, and it still went on. To think it can't happen at Amgen, would be irrational

14. anonymous

anonymous Guest

No one said it can't happen at Amgen. What we said, which is what has been claimed by the original poster here, is that it's "pervasive" and that it's "so many males" and that there's nothing you can do about it if it's happening to you. Sorry but that's just wrong. And that only cases you hear about are the particularly egregious ones so your point is invalid. Amgen doesn't advertise and the news doesn't pick up a story of someone being fired over a single incident.

15. anonymous

anonymous Guest

You've incorrectly assumed my post was directed at you and/or like-minded folks that you have called "we". Therefore your reply to my post is invalid. My original post was a "reply to thread"; which means it is is a comment on the topic in general, and therefore it stands. It's not all about you.

16. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Perfect example of a chauvinist. Creeps like you exist in every department at Amgen and I assume these women think that is the case at HR too and perhaps one of the reasons why they don’t bring up these complaints due to fear of either getting more humiliated or getting retaliated against. Sexual harassment has nothing to do with ‘attractiveness’ by the way. You are just proving this original poster’s assertion that certain males who work at Amgen have no respect for women

17. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Funny how all you extracted from my entire post was the one comment about attractiveness. Of course you'd cherry pick that and call me a chauvinist when I made a lot of other points. Stop whining loser. I have plenty of respect for women. I have no respect for the people on this forum who want handouts. So much noise here and everyone has accused me of being a manager or HR yet you're all wrong. I just don't see any of the harassment you're all alleging and if you had solid evidence the company would absolutely back you because it would be in their best interest or they would be putting themselves in serious danger of facing a lawsuit should you hire an attorney. As I said before, clearly not the brightest here. And obviously none of you are attorneys.

18. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Let the names fly. Hope it makes you feel better for your underperformance. Every female I've ever interacted with at the company has a great deal of respect for me. Maybe except the ones who are all fluff and just there to manage up and try to get promoted without any substance to their work. But that's not just limited to women so not relevant here.

19. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Looks like some posters are trying to discredit the possibility of sexual harassment at Amgen, as described by the OP; without even hearing who is specifically being accused.

These type of efforts to squash the story give more credibility to the OP. Whoever tries to discredit a story before they have even heard "exactly who is accused of what offense", is part of the problem.

My advice to the OP is to document things very well and speak with your attorney, before you consider going to HR. It sounds like your HR folks may be part of the problem. Keep in mind that if you go to HR now, management & HR really dislike postings on Cafepharma. Talk to your lawyer first and get that in order.

20. anonymous

anonymous Guest

"Hope it makes you feel better for your underperformance" appears to be a threat to write a false performance review (aka illegal retaliation). It is clearly not a fact-based statement, since the previous post was anonymous and therefore he cannot know about his/her actual performance.