Signs that you know its time to quit sales?

Discussion in 'Industry Veterans' started by Anonymous, Mar 7, 2012 at 4:57 AM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Male in my late 30s, been doing pharma for over ten years, straight out of school.

And I think I am losing my desire to sell.

My question: what are the signs that made you move on, out of sales? Was it the right move for you?

I know that I am still young enough to start over with a new career (I am looking into getting my MBA, with the goal of becoming a consultant or analyst).

Thanks!

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Please review the thread: life after pharma posted on the darkened sample closet board. I listed several allied health professions at the graduate level that may interest you.

I would caution you about getting an MBA. I'm not discrediting the degree but so many people have them now that potential employers really don't care. Again, I'm not saying that an MBA is not a prestigious degree but my advice is to investigate the grad program. It is key to research what most post-grads end up doing career-wise and if having a MBA opened dooors for them. Best of luck to you.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I really cannot blame you for your decision. It is never a negative to go after more education. An MBA is still an edge for some industries, although I would encourage you to actually go to an on-campus program and not totally on-line. I went bacvk years ago and finished a MBA Program. A lot has change over the last 20 years but most companies look to see how you view problems and if you implement a strategic approach to business issues or not.

Be careful to get out when you financially can rather than quit without a position. My advice to you would be to pursue your MBA at night and stay where you are for a few more months. The last thing you need to do is pile up any student loans or debt. Also, take a little more time before you make a move and just be sure what and if you really are that dissatisfied. I have just retired after 35 years and the industry has definitely gone downhill. I cannot blame you for having this change of heart.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Thanks to the above two posters for your feedback.

I have been considering this MBA for about 15 years, and the network from the school I am considering, would open up lots of door outside of the sale profession.

But, I like the way the both of you give the impression to look both ways before I cross the street, because that is the prudent thing to do.

I think the network is where it is at with an MBA, and that is what I am mostly paying for.

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

First Pharma is not sales, it's field based pull through marketing, second unless your MBA is from the ivies or the top 15 programs the "network" will unlikely provide you with a job making more than you make in pharm. Being consultant is very different than being an analyst so I would suggest you focus on what you really want to do. To me it sounds like you know you don't want to be a drug rep, but you really don't know what you WANT to do. Before you give up a decent paying job and take on a pile of debt you really need find out what your goal is, not just "I'm done selling and I don't like Pharma". Lastly if you look at the top = high paying consultancy firms they hire almost exclusively from the top ten full time MBA programs.

Not trying to be mean, but you seem to lack focus and reality of what a MBA will do for you. Why not let your current company pay for your MBA and then be one an an analyst at your company?

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Look at the placement stats for any MBA program, and if their output is not creating 90k-100k plus jobs, then it is a waste.

With a six figure start and and MBA, that a school can provide, you are on your way to making double within ten years, if you play your cards right.

Consulting is not as complicated as that previous poster stated, and you don't need a top school, but a school that has the 6 figure type placements, and many top 40 schools have that placement. USC, for example is not top 15, but is a top notch top 50 with a great network. Its not so simple to just say top 15 or Ivy League or whatever.

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I’m not saying a consulting job is hard or not what I am saying is to get to a top 10 = high paying, management consulting company they are not interested in the USC, OSU, level MBA’s of the world. If you mean consulting as in any bootleg mom and pop consulting company like “training consultants”, or “negotiation consultants”, or “marketing consultants” or “advertising consultants” sure any MBA will be fine but you will need to know the owner of the agency well and most likely would have needed to work with them in the past ie you were the head of training and frequently brought in a certain vendor/consultant in. As a rep or DM it is highly unlikely you would have that relationship with most consultancy agencies. Also keep in mind unless you are equity partner at a small niche firm you will not be making more money than a specialty rep in Pharma.

Here is a list of the top 10 management consultancy companies and I can assure you they rarely hire anyone from an MBA program outside of the top 10-15 and some recruit exclusively from certain program like only from HBS, or only from Wharton, etc.

http://careers-in-business.com/consulting/topfirms.htm

I am not trying to be a dream killer just trying to give you a really transparent look at what you are thinking about doing so you can make a clear decision based on what happens 95% of the time and not the 5% of the time.

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

http://careers-in-business.com/consulting/mbahiring.htm

take a look at this as well.

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

The data presented is not complete. It would be very easy to manipulate the data you presented, for obvious reasons that I hope I would not have to explain to a smart person.

Do you have anything else?

Also, the MBA program is not necessarily about getting a job with a top consulting firm, instead the knowledge gained could lead someone into starting a business or going back into sales with a track to management.

Bottom line is the MBA gives you more options.

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Ok manipulate away! The poster said they wanted to become a consultant all I said was the top mgt consulting firms hire from a select group of programs which is a fact.

Never said getting an MBA was a bad idea any form of education will better anyone. I disagree that it automatically gives yourore options or will prepare to become an entrapeneur. If anything an MBA would probably "talk one out" of starting a business as most small businesses fail. All I'm saying is this. Do not think an MBA from some middle tier program is going to kick any doors open for you. There are a lot of recent MBA's who are underemployed.

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Re: Signs that you know its time to quit Rx sales?

You'll know it's time to quit when you get an affirmative action d.m. I retired when that happened to me.

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Re: Signs that you know its time to quit Rx sales?

that's good stuff. I had one, and on field rides, he didn't talk to anyone in the office. Just stared at the walls at all day.

And now, he is a regional. The guy spent 2 years in the field before he got promoted too. What a joke.

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

My affirmative action d.m. could not spell and never used spell check. I was always wondering what upper management thought when they were copied. I had to beg to get my expense reports approved. I was worried that my credit was going to be effected. I had to beg to get my speaker programs approved.

He could not pronounce simple medical terms correct. He would always show up late for a ride along,fall asleep in the car and leave early. I could go on and on,it was pathetic. My fellow district workers we young and inexperienced. I'm sure they thought this was appropriate behavior. They had not been around long enough to know better. Thus,after a stellar
    thirty-one year career in the industry,I retired. "Those who can't sell,get promoted and teach."

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

so true about those that can't sell.

The people that get ahead are always in the political game. No talent.

and most are lodge members.

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

You know it's time to quit when you head out at 6 AM for a 3 hr drive to the edge of your territory, and after an hour and a half, take the next exit, go over the overpass and turn around and head back home.
    Good luck

16. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I used to drive to a doctors office building, with every intention of going in and at least getting a signature to have some samples sent, but would just sit in the parking lot paralyzed...

I hated that job so much...Glad I am out...

FU PHARMA SALES!!

17. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

“Paralyzed” Really WTF is wrong with you people!?!

I know! It is so difficult to get out of the car and walk into and office and say, “Hello, can I see the doctor I have samples I need him to sign for”! Oh the horror! I mean, they may say “no, today is not a good day”. Gosh what to do! And you wonder why no real sales organizations recruit from pharma. It’s a sales job sweetie. Rejection is part of the gig! If you can’t handle the gruff and rude receptionist in a doctor’s office you would starve if you actually had to go out and sell something to get paid. I can’t imagine what line of work you are in now if you couldn’t motivate yourself to walk into an office and say a sentence or two, drop off your samples and then leave. What a tough job pharma sales is…paralyzed…good one.

18. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I agree with you, but when you consider getting downsized multiple times and getting treated like junk by management and by doctors and office staff, then I can understand what that rep was referring to.

This job is not for thinkers, that is for sure.

19. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

First it is a job, what does having to be a “thinker” have to do with it? If people were so inclined to have a thinking job why did they choose ‘sales’ no matter what the industry? Why not go for a Phd in Russian literature? Insofar as being treated poorly by customers and managers that is in no way exclusive to pharma. All jobs come with their fair share of BS that is why they are called ‘jobs, they weren’t meant to be fun or for the most part fulfilling. If any of these whining pharma reps wanted fulfillment from their jobs they should have followed their passions early on versus taking the company car, base and bonus for doing very little work in this “lifestyle” job. They have no one to blame but their selves if they are not fulfilled or happy, because if your job is what you turn towards for fulfillment and happiness then your morals values and ethics are askew, and if, for whatever reason, you needed fulfillment from your job why in the hell would anyone have ever taken a drug rep job and think fulfillment was on its way? I never have seen such a coddled group of employees in any industry. You drive a brand new car every 2-3 years of which you pay a nominal monthly fee for yet you do not pay for maintenance, gas, insurance etc. You have above average base salaries and bonus and you generally have meetings in exotic locales and eat and drink to your heart’s desire. Most get solid 401k matches and some get stock options, grants, and espp. Generally speaking I bet you see your boss face to face around once a month! Try working in an office where you boss is there every day and you better be in the office before they are and you better not leave until after they leave. Yet when asked to do anything outside of your narrow scope of what YOU think the job should be, even if they are pointless things like role play, reports, field ride along’s you come running to this site to bitch and complain about your “suffering”. Oh my manager makes me do too many reports, oh my manager is out to get me, oh I hate having to walk into the office and ‘deal’ with the front office staff. Oh the doctors are mean and don’t want to see me. Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa. Again if any of you actually had to go out and produce to earn your paycheck most of you would be homeless. Pharma sales is probably the easiest and least confrontational ‘selling’ environment there is. I mean seriously the guy selling Verizon cell phones has more pressure on him then a drug rep! I’m just so sick and tired of the incessant whining on this site over the most mundane of obstacles and challenges!

Look if you are truly being harassed, (and no micromanagement, although not fun, is not harassment unto itself) I feel bad for you but that is not indicative of an entire industry, but again pharma is probably the least confrontational rep to manager selling environment there is. Try selling capital equipment. You don’t sell you manager is in your sh&t right up until he fires you and then smears your name to any other prospective employee and/or they vigorously pursue non competes even in states that do not recognize them. That is pressure and that is harassment. Harassment is not having to do meaningless reports, stupid field visits, role plays at meetings, and your manager riding your ass for poor performance…that’s called a freaking job!

20. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

man, did you drink the Kool Aid...you expectations in life are exceedingly low too, if you think pharma sales is a decent job still...

FU PHARMA!