Signs that you know its time to quit sales?

Discussion in 'Industry Veterans' started by Anonymous, Mar 7, 2012 at 4:57 AM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Signs to get out of Pharma? When i started phukin my manager...

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Yes, but most jobs are not as childish as this one.

And it is harder than Verizon.

For you to say that (Verizon), means you are just not a good salesperson. People that do well in this industry do sell and do move product.

My suggestion is to find a company with no podmates.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Back to the 401K thread

Laid off after 34 years at the same company.

401K: 975K Nice return year to date, up around 125K

Cash: 250K

House: own free and clear just had it built new. Property tax is 3.5K a year

Own a newly constructed business free and clear, 400K

Now I need to learn some investment skills.

Many of you have done very well, enjoy your retirement

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Re: Back to the 401K thread

Get that money out of the 401k when you hit 59.5 and move into real estate and have a management company run it. This will give you great cash flow and real estate is very low right now, and people need shelter. Or if you don't want the headaches, just go to a CD.

The stock market is over valued right now imo.

Also, 401k is a scam for the most part (good for a tax write off, but generally it is a scam like insurance), as it encourages you to give someone else (others don't care about your money) your money and hopefully they will manage it properly.

good luck.

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I'm not clear on the point you are trying to make.

I think Pharma is the easiest job in the world. They are paid high 6 figures (1/4 of a million). While MDs struggle to make low six figures.

I think Verizon salespersons are much more respected (in my book) and their job is a lot harder than Pharma. They (Verizon salespersons) probably make around $30,000 yr.

Just my humble opinion.

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

that is classic...

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

It is such a punk industry. So many weak men and silly women. The money kept me in the game, but now that I have the money to look into other options, I am never going back.

The sign that it was time to go was when I walked into a doctors office and he said, "what are you doing?, you can't walk in here, reps have to wait outside". unreal.

and when I had a manager tell me that I was the best rep in his district, but then the next day, this toolbox sends an email to me, with a cc to the regional, telling me that I needed to shape up. what is up with that?

pharma suck bigtime.

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

yeah...it is in industry that exists totally in its own universe...a phony charade so dopey managers can live in nice houses and send their kids to good schools...

the pharma industry long ago stopped producing anything of real value to consumers...

I am sort of semi retired now I guess...quit pharma after 24 years and no one will touch
    me for new work...

I really hated that job though...glad I got out finally!

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

What an arrogant view of the world you have to think that only valuable people and ideas only come out of big name/IVY schools. Many extremely successful business ideas have been generated by minds who have never set foot in one of these schools. Throw some cold water on your face since many consulting firms burn money on recycled ideas with no true merit. Corporate america is over run with waste and over blown ideas from consultants that over think, over talk and over complicate simple tasks and functions to manufacture and pump up their value to the client.

It's not the school that makes a quality person just like an A student is not always the clearest mind or best presenter in the room. Many times these students lack the basics of common sense and the instinct for practical solutions. Actually, a mixture of types produces the best perspectives and just hiring IVY will never provide this value. Take a long look around at most corporations who strictly hire these types and the waste and mistakes are glaring.

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

That is correct. These Ivy types are getting good jobs mostly because of mommy and daddy, and they don't have street smarts because they didn't need to have them.

Its all a game. The ones that rise to the top are mostly sell outs.

Most of us stay in the middle somewhere and that is where we should be, because to get up any further requires a selling of the soul, and that price is too much.

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Is reading comprehension not your thing? Clearly it is. I never said anything in regards to the valuable people or ideas come from people from the Ivies or Big Name Schools! I merely wrote that of the big and prestigious (and high paying)consultancy companies hire from the top programs in the country with the Ivies at the top and HBS at the top of the chain. Also I never said stated an opinion whatsoever on the value or lack thereof of a management consultancy company or who would or wouldn’t make a good consultant.

For the last time all I stated is that the big time, high paying consultancy companies hire from the top tier programs!!! Send them an nasty email if you do not like their hiring practices or their business practices. All I did was state the facts, with no opinion attached to it.

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

You are perfectly suited for pharma sales. It’s funny how anyone who did not have the grades and/or money to get into a high end academic institution ie the Ivy League, calls anyone who did a sell out or only because mommy and daddy helped them. Wow, how bitter are you? You’re the one who partied too much in HS and went to a mediocre state school and partied and then you ended up selling pharmaceuticals for a living. No one forced that beer bong down your throat. How about a little accountability on your part. You put yourself right where you are.

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Typical narcisstic responses! Gag me! Let's face it, if you are asking this you already know the answer. Decide what YOU want to do and do everything you can to make it happen. As has been said, the roi on an MBA is questionable/debatable. Are you trying to escape or do yu have a goal?

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

would be alot funnier if it wasn't so dead on accurate...describes alot of us...
    partied too much in high school, drank and screwed our way to a powder puff degree
    from a state school, and ended up selling pharmaceuticals cuz it was easy and we could roll out of bed late like we did back in college...

well the joke is on us now...white male, 50s, forced out of pharma 2 years ago, still haven't
    found an employer who is interested in hiring me, even for 1/4th of my pharma salary which was 6 figures...

things are going from bad to weird in pharma...especially if you are old and time is not on your side...

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

you are clueless to how the world really works. yes, secret handshakes do exist and mommy and daddy are important influences.

Also, I went to a top private school in the establishment (not ivy, but close).

The days when work ethic and having integrity and talent are long gone.

Its take care of yourself and have a good day. I hate to say that, as I once believed in the American Dream, but the truth is, is that it no longer exists.

16. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

We know it is easy to walk into the office and go through the motions of asking to see the DR. The point is that we ALREADY KNOW WHAT IS ABOUT TO HAPPEN, so we don't bother walking in to see it happen for the 10000th time. I'm happy you're happy with your pharma career. Others want more out of their career. That's why I got out and went and found a real sales job that is rewarding to me. Getting signatures, dropping samples and being a catering delivery guy didn't do it for me. I guess it does it for you. Congrats.

17. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Bravo!!! I am amazed how many drug reps really think it is a good job...yes, it is easy and brainless most of the time, but drug really only exist at this point to keep their managers earning great salaries and benefits...it is all about the managers and retaining their lifestyles as opposed to seriously responding to the needs of customers and patients...

Pharma is a very lucky industry in that it can charge almost whatever it wants for their poisons, and keep crazy high margins...

any other industry that was run so unethically and stupidly would go bankrupt very quickly...

pharma survives because the industry has more money than God....

18. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Never sampled a drug in my life, never delivered food, the job you speak of is mass market primary care big Pharma. That is only one job there are too many other sales and sea related bio/pharm jobs that look and feel nothing like the entry level job you had.

19. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Affirmative action. In this case I assume you are talking about a black Dm. But white woman are the biggest beneficiaries. You people complain about one black Dm out of 1000. Unbelievable.

20. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Very true with both groups, but definitely more with the women.

Women wanted it all, but now they have "discovered" that they can't have it all (a family and a career).

Have you ever noticed how women detest work? I have. In pharma, they are easily the most lazy group and complain the most.

So glad I left the corporate BJ that is big pharma and started my own business. Sure, I have more headaches and work, ,but I also have greater peace of mind, and do not miss those cluster meeting with those complaining nit wits.