Signs that you know its time to quit sales?

Discussion in 'Industry Veterans' started by Anonymous, Mar 7, 2012 at 4:57 AM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

how much of this goes on people??

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Probably more than any of us think. Its not just pharma, its everywhere. Why do you think these bimbos get hired? And they are bimbos, working 20 hrs a week, and complaining all the time.

I know of at least one situation where the rep slept with the doctor for RX. The doctor just came out a said it, sleep with him and he will write.

Pharma is truly the armpit of sales.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I'm a female provider and I have a great similar story. She was never one of my reps. but was a friend of a rep I know well. Apparently this rep. was enamored with some married MD. He told her that he would meet her at a hotel but wouldn't take her out to dinner because people might see him.

What the heck was she thinking? Yeah, he is going to live his wife for some trash. I found out she that she went for it and guess how it ended up. Yep, never talked to her again and wouldn't allow her back in the office. I think it happens all the time from some of the stories I've heard throughout the years.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Nothing new under the sun.

No wonder so many qualifed people get rejected for work, right?

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

OP, I have come to the conclusion that sales sucks.

And, it gets worse as you get older!

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

this is so true...Sales is a young persons game...Gets embarassing to be a part of it
    when you get into your 40s and 50s...

horrible way to make a living...of course, America is over anyway...It is now an
    Obamanation...the Leftist takeover of America happened in 2008.

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Isn't this post the truth, so depressing.....

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Its so odd.

When you get out of college, its so great to get a corporate sales job. You are making good money and feel so good about yourself (I did).

But, the older I get, the more I see it as a total BS game, a corporate mind game, a political game.

All jobs pretty much stink. But, corporate sales is on a totally different level because there is so much acting going on and so many fake people.

I guess it wasn't so bad when companies actually did care, and if you produced, you could actually keep your job. But, that is no longer the case.

As for those in their 40s/50s, and up, that are in sales, I have no idea how you can really live with yourselves, and will all the BS in the air with these jobs.

I left in my 30s, and I am so happy its over.

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Went to school while working for Novartis and completed Marraige and Family Therapy degree. 25years in industry and good 401k. New career won't pay much but can work forever. Once licensed you can hang your own shingle and never have to interview with those a-holes. Lol

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

There is a good chance that I would shoot myself in the foot before I ever go back to a pharmaceutical sales training set up again.

What I remember most (did pharma sales in my 20s/early 30s), is all the alcoholics at training (sure, this is common in all walks of life) who just drank and drank every night.

NOw, if you are doing this crap at training, where they can see your actions, then what the hell are you doing on a Thursday night at home, when nobody is watching?

The weakest and most strange people I have ever encountered in corporate life, came from pharma. They had no backbone. Just spitting out messages and acting like little pole dancers or whatever.

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

At Merck we referred to them as Merckbots...Just robots that were led by management like sheep over a cliff...No backbone...sociopaths leading sociopaths...Like Patrick Batemans or something...

Pharma is bizarre...makes alot of people sick as they get older...too many lies...

FU PHARMA!

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I am in my 50s...just left pharma with no severance...I am unemployed, unemployable, and uninsured...have some savings thank god, but what happens if I live until 80 or something??

Your posting is excellent...it is true...out of college the job seems great...company car. steady paycheck, flexible hours...

but then you realize that it is all a Pnzi scheme really...especially in Pharma...unless you get into management, you will lose...always...

If you are in management, 95% of the time, you will have a crazy, high paying part-time job for life...as long as you are willing to lie, cheat and fabricate, and push older reps out of the company...A Faustian deal if there ever was one...

The whole thing stinks...You have two choices in pharma...The steamroller (management) or the pavement (being a sales rep.) Your choice...do you have the stomach for being a liar and cheat...

well do ya punk??

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I did pharma for about 5 years. I couldn't stand it anymore. Every time that I see a rep I get a sick feeling in my stomach and every rep that I see looks like they have a sick feeling in their stomachs. NO ONE IS CONTENT IN PHARMA. its a horrible job that happens to pay the bills.

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

it really is. the game gets worse and worse, now that the newer generation of drug rep (post 2000) is moving into management.

Some of these morons have 2-3 years of sales field experience and get promoted!

pre 2000, you need about 7-10 years of field experience before you were even considered.

As for those that are sellouts, good for you. You made some money, but face the facts that most of you are in misery, with little business skills, other than bending over..

well, at least that bending over got you a nice big screen TV and a house in the suburbs!

Was it all worth it?

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I just wish that ten years ago I had started a side business of some sort and worked on that instead of buying bigger and better and just trying to keep up. Now I find myself truly stuck and no longer sure I have the stomach to keep lying and waiting to get caught. The job is a total joke. A big part of the problem is we have NO customer that wants to see us anymore. Where docs used to look forward to seeing a rep here and there, they dread us even walking through the door. It does not matter if you're clinic-based or hospital or specialty with the exception of maybe oncology, dental or vet. The job is a hellhole where at any moment you could be written up or cut for something fabricated or the smallest infraction. The busy work has got to be over the top leaving little time to even be in the field. I bet I spend 10 hours a week on adminsrative B.S., 20 hours a week driving, 6 hours a week on TCs and another 2 doing some sort of compliance test or opening zillions of attachments and reading them. I laugh when I see this survey or that or have to read all about the wonderous accomplishments at HQ or some humanitarian gesture all to try and make someone in a cubicle feel useful. All of us have become useless and the house of cards is about to come falling down.

16. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Great post...I agree with almost everything you said, although I don't think the house of cards is falling down...In any sane world, it would fall down yes, but think of all the layers of management and support, that want to keep their jobs which depends on keeping the status quo...

Pharma is like the titanic actually seeing the iceberg well in advance of hitting it, but they keep the ship on the same collision course. Even though the pharma selling model is completely dysfunctional and broken, Big Pharma keeps doubling down on the same failed strategy...

Hey Executives from Big Pharma...I have a message for ya'!! The 80's called and they want their wheelie bags back...Your customers no longer want to see your reps, nor do they have time for them...Get it? Get it you limies??

17. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

And the whole idea of selling "drugs" is very questionable. Doctors should not be steered in directions, especially when it comes to treating patients. Insurance companies do it for sure, and that is terrible too.

Pharma is not a good job anymore, for so many reasons. But, the instability is probably the number one reason.

As for signs for quitting sales, I would say leave pharma and try at least 3 other industries before you decide to quit selling. Sales offers good pay, usually good hours (if you know what you are doing), and its still a fun job for the most part.

What the OP and others here may not understand is the pharma is NOT sales.