Spark Therapeutics -- I've heard

Discussion in 'Pharma/Biotech Comp - Gen Discussion |Pharma Sales' started by Anonymous, Apr 7, 2015 at 7:39 PM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I've been asked to interview at Spark. I am seeking some information. I have heard they have a lot of turnover and some very qualified people have left after a short time. I have also heard around Penn that the head of R&D is very difficult. Has fits of anger and cursing... is this just stories? Does anyone know about this company. There is a lot of PR out there, but the real story seems very different.

Any info very helpful.

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Not rumors. known to slam fists use the "f" word and basically intimidate the PostDocs. Lots of fear. Review their website -- and press releases. good people leaving or regretting that they joined. Not many in charge who have industry experience. if they do it is not running a company. Great story..... looks great on paper. I regret joining.... stuck for now.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Lots of problems here. Lots of people but little knowledge or experience. Kind of scary... something will blow up. I just keep my head down and mouth shut. and a difficult commute and city wage tax.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Basically academics playing adults. Tough environment - ask around Penn

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I know some scientists there. People with experience and industry knowledge are not very valued. They either hire people from big companies or academics. No one who knows what it takes to grow or develop a company. Absolutely no communication. HR is a joke. Keeps their doors closed and there are a lot of them for such a small company. the PR is very very good; much better than the management team. I turned down an offer. They kept insisting it was for $. It wasn't.. it was their bad reputation. I asked around Penn... I need a job, but not there.

6. anonymous

anonymous Guest

I was looking for an ops role around Philly and also had the same feedback about Spark. One of my friends is a Penn doc and said that Spark has excellent PR but that it was very overblown. Also as other posters have said an inexperienced business team.

7. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Hi: Comments on this thread are from 2015. Any other newer points of view on Spark? I am being pursued aggressively by them, very attractive offer, but I am concerned about the culture. My gut feel is that things are chaotic and there is a lack of directional leadership. My impression of HR here is that they run the show from a kind of strict performance management perspective and no development considerations. Thanks.

8. anonymous

anonymous Guest

The Head of US Commercial was forced out and was in over his head. Hired some questionable people.

9. anonymous

anonymous Guest

MM? Care to elaborate on that? What is really going on at this company?

10. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Yep...MM gone. Higher ups will fuck up this launch.

11. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Great science but fucked up place

12. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Interviewed there. Impression was overly enthusiastic first-timers and disconnected leadership. I passed.

13. anonymous

anonymous Guest

anything else?

14. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Bunch of Allergan trash

15. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Hello Newman! P.O.S. In over your head

16. anonymous

anonymous Guest

”once” and done baby!!

17. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Anyone know anything about Kelley Allison?

18. anonymous

anonymous Guest

It is beyond a mess there. HR is a leftover from Shire and hides in their offices. Little or no communication once you join; great PR offer a lot of $'s . They need to. There is a lot of turnover and many qualified people left due to the horrible treatment -- like others said, cursing at employees and nastiness. Not a great culture. From what I saw, if you are among the executive suite, you have a cushy job. But if you are aspiring to grow with the company, no interest in you. Lots of administrative paperwork; little doing. Someone else mentioned that tons of effort on writing punitive performance reviews; no open discussions; no interest in developing someone. The focus is on writing negative reviews; so it looks like your are managing something. I made a mistake going there. Worst year of my career. My boss left about 3 months after I did and actually apologized to me for the environment.