Strategy for when you feel like quitting...

Discussion in 'Industry Veterans' started by Anonymous, Feb 19, 2011 at 8:16 PM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Could use some magical answers to get me through this mess.

Same scenario: new rookie manager vs veteran rep.

Thanks!

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

In one ear and out the other.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I'm in the same boat. I'm 55...she is 32. I feel like her father. I just want our company to get bought out, sell my stock and move on! Before she tries to force me out.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Just do what everyone else seems to do: Jack off and go take a nap.

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

make up your own personal to do list and make it a priority during the day - oh ya.. get signatures as you go on your errand / personal business route - make the company #3 and your stuff #1 - and dont forget the mid-day movies!

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I was in the same boat...I did something that has made me feel better than I have in years...

I quit...yes...no severance, no package, no health insurance, no job prospects, no nothing...

Thankfully, I had saved well over the years, and will pick up some additional money when I sell my house...

But getting out of pharma is the best, healthiest thing I have done in a long time....

Just do it...that bogus job ain't worth the grief....

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Terrible advice unless you have a house paid off, a car paid off, and tons of money in the bank.

Well, that is probably not the case for the OP.

So, you just need to not give a crap about what is going on around you. And, if they fire you, go ahead and collect unemployment.

I mean, nobody can make your life a mess unless you allow them.

good luck. keep us posted.

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

"I mean, nobody can make your life a mess unless you allow them."

Tell that to my brain...Merck made my life a mess...I was eating Xanax
    like candy just to function...I tried ignoring the stress but could not do it...
    When you are being pushed out, and you know what is happening, it is like
    watching a hyena nawing off your arm and trying to not be bothered...

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

sorry to hear about your situation.

this is what might help: sleep at least 8-9 hours every night, so you can get ready for the work day. Its a simple step to take, but will reduce the stress.

You are going to have to just play the game better and manage your manger, and dot the I and cross the T.

YOu will be ok. the manager could leave or you could get another. NeVER QuiT.

You can't QUIT.

Again, the worst that happens is they fire you, and then if they fire for a wrong reason, you have a lawsuit.

they can't just fire people. it is a mess for the HR department. Bottom line is the be transparent in all things (field 8-5, all true calls, expense report, etc).

also, be sure to frequently call your team members and don't be a lone ranger type.

good luck and don't quit, or I am going to be upset!

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

too late...I already did ....months ago...you must be young...you don't get it yet

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Just think about what my DM told me one day:

"You can always outlast a lousy boss". I listened, and I did. 18 managers in 31 years. Then I finally retired!

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

31 years (about twenty of it as a caterer I take it) sucking up to doctors and getting bossed around by receptionists...

congratulations...must have been a meaningful and challenging career...

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Dang!...don't know why people have to be so nasty. I love that CP is a place to vent, and to encourage others on the :dark side;...bum...bumm.bummm.bummmm. messed up stuff living,and alive! ( But every now in then i see an honest post, with an honest question, "given a, what are your recommedations on "b" so I can accomplish "c" ~ aw guys.....keep lifting eachother up! ( I have personally sailed my boat), but may be back in a yaght....not putting up with the B.S from the young punk with NO managerial experienced . Ah, let me be a sweet, sweet memory. in you mind. And LEARN! you went to school, they bought you the books...you don't HAVE to be a BUTT HEAD. It does'nt work. REally research highly effectivie people...(um the very ones you don't call at 430 on friday and ask what they are doing....Major jokster! OMG

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Quit. It will be much easier versus you coming on here and bitching about how “your life is a living hell”.

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

When people quit jobs, they lack judgement.

As for life being hell and all that, well that's the way our dumbed down world is now conducting business.

It is not longer about achievement, but about how good you look and faking, in this industry and most.

Best strategy to take is to just "roll with the changes", and save your money, and don't empower idiots like a young manager.

Again, the worst thing that can happen is they fire you, and is that really that bad, when you are in a bad situation?

16. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I agree with you. My take is you either stay, play the game, and stop wishing and hoping it was different and stop bitching about it, or just quit. To me it is really simple. I’ve worked in other industries than pharma but pharma reps take the cake with all the bitching and complaining they do. If you have to work for a living like most of us do as we are not independently wealthy, most jobs suck unless you work in something you are absolutely passionate about. I would gather that is a small percentage of our workforce, so most of us are in jobs where we would rather be doing just about anything else than work. Since that is the case if you feel like quitting either quit or play the game. It is that simple.

17. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I disagree. NEVER stay and "play the game". Never compromise who you are. If that means leaving...resigning, or calling someone out... DO IT! Hold on to core beliefs and integrity. The grass IS greener on the other side!

18. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I agree. This is a recipe for great disappointment. You need to be clear in your head of whether or not you can put a long term plan in place. With the way pharma is going that plan is going to get challenged ever 18 months. You can not expect things to get better. They haven’t. Just look at posts from 5- 10 years back. You have to roll with the punches in pharma…and there are increasingly more and more. Don’t be afraid of the outside pharma world. There are many positions that we all are very qualified and capable of performing that can provide a very healthy lifestyle that includes pay, flexibility and career advancement.

19. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Agree also. I don't believe in taking horrendous (and yes it is, much of the time) treatment from anyone for money. Seriously, I've said it before...if that's the case then just go be a stripper, hooker, or drug dealer. You'd still be performing an immoral and degrading job for the mighty green. No difference. I personally believe that staying and "playing the game", taking the BS and literally getting treated like an imbecile everyday is absolutely NOT WORTH IT.
    I think staying means backing down. I think staying is being passive. I think staying means you HAVE to be an ass-kisser. I think staying is cowardly. Even before this recession, many stuck around for the money only, even when there WERE other (good) jobs out there. I remember talking to a rep a few years back who said "Yeah we're treated like absolute shit, but the pay is good so I'm staying". Wow. I find that sad, because although many people do find their jobs stressful and may not like them much, of everyone I know in other industries, nobody (I know personally) tells me that they're treated literally like shit by their own company AND customers on a regular basis. I have NEVER seen games in any other industry like those being played in pharma. You either sell your soul for money or you don't. It's that simple.

20. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Can I just say "THANK YOU" for this post!! Finally, someone that gets it!! (This post could have been written by me--sounds like it came from my brain.)

I so agree...My situation...Pharma industry for 24 years...Even was a manager-level account exec at a certain point. Watched the industry continue to go downhill and the treatment of reps became more harassing and pathetic...

Flash forward to 2011...Was starting to question my own sanity for staying in such a horrible fake industry. All lies from top to bottom...

In the midst of the Great Recession, (and really probably a Depression if the media was not protecting Obozo) I resigned my job...Nothing to jump to...No severance, no health benefits, no nothing...

But I had to get it out because it was the right thing to do...Had to heal from the pharma poison and remember what it is like to do real work, and deal with people in a genuine way.

So glad I finally got out...Yes, it takes courage but I feel so much better to be out of the stupid, toxic pharma industry.