Switched from b2b to med device- regretting?

Discussion in 'Medical Equipment/Device Sales-General Discussion' started by anonymous, Feb 8, 2017 at 2:50 PM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. anonymous

anonymous Guest

27 years old, did 2 years of payroll out of college and did really well. Loved the company culture/always being around ppl but thought medical was the logical next step.

Its been 2 1/2 years in device now and the loneliess is getting to me. Working from home a lot since the territory is set up efficiently at this point and just going through motions when im with customers.

Job setup would be great if i had a family as i have so much freedom and flexibility but im single and wondering what the hell im doing. Ive wanted to move and due to the nature of limited reps in medical, its been nearly impossible and recruiters/hiring managers wont get over the fact i havent worked with those physicians in that territory.

Next steps? Is software sales a combo of being in office as you wish but also working remote? Anybody else been in this boat? I imagine if i leave medical, it will be near impossible to switch back again when im older. Any input appreciated as I really am struggling with this quite a bit, thanks all!

2. anonymous

anonymous Guest

We both have very similar backgrounds and age. I don't know where your looking but I would look into Associate roles with device company's that don't necessarily require medical background. Pay is around 60-80k so it's not great but will set you up for a full-line sales role about 12-24 months later if you can hack it. I went the Associate role path to get my foot in the door but hated it after having my own territory and making pretty good money prior. It really depends on the territory and the people you'll be working "for" in terms of if there just going to give you all the grunt work or actually help to develop you for your next role. Good luck!

3. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Thanks for your reply. I guess my main concern is the lack of coworkers around me and the lonely nature of med sales vs an office type job (software/tech). Would love a job where I get a balance of working remote but also seeing ppl in an office sometimes (software sales??)

4. anonymous

anonymous Guest

The reason most people enjoy med sales/outside sales is the freedom and not having to report into an office so it may not be the best fit for you. Most med device jobs have other local reps in the area also but that's about it.

5. anonymous

anonymous Guest

I'm in software (healthcare) and I work out of my house. I think it may vary from company to company, but I think having an office-based position would be the exception, not the rule. I have been in med sales 15 years and have never reported to an office. I actually cringe at the thought of going to an office a couple days per week to make calls, etc. I like the freedom and autonomy of working remotely from the corporate office. To each his own.

6. anonymous

anonymous Guest

The biggest perk of this career is that there is no office. I could never go back to the cubicle selling copiers! You work when you want and make 6 figures. Feeling sick today? I guess I'll stay home and rest. Want to take advantage of the golf course this afternoon? Done. Want to take Friday off and take the wife and kids on a vacation? Done. All of that without asking anyone for permission. Industry standard. You can not have those kind of perks in an office based sales role. Period. There is a reason the best b2b sales reps try to get into medical and many do not make it in. Med device is the major league where b2b is the farm league.

7. anonymous

anonymous Guest

I'd be curious to hear what specialty you're in and/or what type of products you're selling.

8. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Thanks for the feedback. To clarify, id NEVER go back to a payroll or copier type role as that was a slave job with crap pay lol.

Mine is more of an issue specific to me i guess. No wife or kids, and im just missing being around coworkers at times and getting rather bored. If i had a family, the job would be perfect with the freedom, but thats a while away.

I have friends making great money in software sales who have freedom similar to mine but also interact with coworkers.

I also only have 4 reps in my state so we hardly see each other as we're spread out, that could be part of the issue too.

Thanks for the feedback anyway folks!

9. Capowood

Capowood new user

If you have the area setup efficiently, have extra time, and want to talk to people, why don't you go out and do some more prospecting? Sounds like you are making great money already, but with a little more effort you could probably kill it!

10. anonymous

anonymous Guest

This is good advice.

That loneliness feeling is definitely a part of the job and never a good feeling. I would suggest getting to know your customers on a more personal level and visiting them more often- even to not discuss business. Not always easy to do but its possible. I would also call fellow reps while in your car to shoot the shit. Also, use that flexibility to travel to see friends and family. If your new to the area, try joining leagues to meet people- basketball, kickball, softball, shuffleboard/ darts/ bar games. Definitely a good way to connect with new people.

Every job has its flaws and this happens to be one of them for this field. You wont get that camaraderie of being in the office with people you get to know every day. But you also aren't chained to a desk 5 days a week. Its give and take. Good luck.

11. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Thanks! Its just tough as my social life used to revolve around my old job. Making new friends/going out/weekend activities. Its been tough meeting new people. The freedom's great and my friends with office jobs laugh when I complain but the grass is always greener so its tough.

Trying to travel more and take advantage of the freedom so hopefully that helps!

12. anonymous

anonymous Guest

You sound very young and naive.

13. anonymous

anonymous Guest

I swear it sounds like we work for the same company. I'm probably around your age. Never thought I'd say this but I miss the social interaction I had when I worked in an office around other folks my age. My closest colleague lived about three hours away and was a 60 year old woman. It's a classic case of the grass is greener on the other side. I never thought I'd be hitting six figures at my age, but I also never though I'd feel like so excluded from everything. My suggestion to you is look for a medical sales job in a territory where you have an established group of friends. Both of my roles have been in different states from where I grew up, so it has been difficult to make friends. I am all for having personal discussions with customers, but you have to find the ones who actually want to talk to you on a personal level. Some of the nurses I've met have connected me with their sons to do things like hunt and fish which have been great. Another suggestion is to find a medical sales job where you don't have as much down time. Something OR based where you are working cases and constantly interacting with other people. Good luck. Don't leave the industry. Most people would kill just to break into it.

14. anonymous

anonymous Guest

I also think you should stay in medical. You might just be in the wrong job. I worked an OR-based job for 10 years and always had partners. Those jobs still exist. I was very close with my teammates and loved that environment. Probably a large company with small territories and a pod-based selling setup would be a better fit for you. You still get medical device, but you are part of a team and havelocal colleagues to hang out with. It's fun when you have the right chemistry.

15. anonymous

anonymous Guest

I spent years in the the office - recruiter, telesales etc. I hated it. I have been in outside b2b sales for the past ten years and LOVE NOT REPORTING to the office. The gossip, politics and nonsense I can do without. Im very motivated and like working independently. I get together with a lot of reps that I have met over the years for lunch etc. or call to talk etc. You cannot beat the freedom you have in these positions. I meet my number and that's it. I can go the gym when I want, as long as I have appointments and manage my time which I do, it's great. I admit I do get lonely sometimes but you learn how to keep busy. I would kill to get into medical sales but it's tough

and I'm older. I would appreciate what you have. The medical industry pays MUCH better, there is a future as well. B2B positions are generally like you said slave jobs and you you're generally selling stuff no one really wants. I'd stick it out!!

16. anonymous

anonymous Guest

17. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Slave jobs? Slaves received a 401k, health insurance, and a salary? You people really need to read up on American History.