Switching from implant sales rep to Pharma sales rep

Discussion in 'Pharma/Biotech Comp - Gen Discussion |Pharma Sales' started by truckboat, Oct 22, 2016 at 8:35 PM.

1. truckboat

truckboat new user

I got a call today for an offer to get into the Pharma side of the business. I've been on a commissions only based pay for 9 years now, selling total joints and trauma hardware. I interned for a big 5 implant company after a 3 year non paid apprenticeship with one of their reps. Then after college got a commission based job & my career has been amazing.

The big Pharma company I just interviewed with is offering a MASSIVE salary & huge bonuses with full benefits/car/expense account/ the works.

I've never had a guaranteed income per month. So this is VERY appealing to me. I know the guy is be working for, my questions is---

Has anyone on here sidestepped from implant sales into Pharma? If so- how did you like it? Regrets? Pros/cons?

Thanks!

2. anonymous

anonymous Guest

A job is just a job when you are working for someone else. You are not moving into anything dynamic. Your are going to have to check more boxes in pharma world. Also, you should try to get into management as soon as possible, because if you stay as a rep for too long, you will become expendable and deemed not as valuable. Hate to be so negative, but I am telling you the truth. Good luck, and don't trust anyone on your team. Communicate with them, but don't trust them. Pharma industry has the most snakes in any sales industry in my opinion.

3. truckboat

truckboat new user

Have you worked in device sales before? I sell total knees, total hips, plates & screws. Everything for broken bones... and this industry is a bunch of snakes as well. Some of the most back stabbing crap I've ever seen! It's insane.

But now I am going into the final interview with a big company... it's between me and one other person.... 150k salary, plus all benefits and 33,500$ bonus if quota is met. Territory is entire state.

It sounds like a REALLY good offer and the lady who left this position worked in it for 8 years.

Still think it's unstable? Moving into management.... that's something I have no idea how to do...

4. anonymous

anonymous Guest