Synthetic Marijuana Linked to Major Birth Defect

Discussion in 'Cafepharma Playground' started by Mr. Hamster, Aug 17, 2012 at 3:49 PM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Mr. Hamster

Mr. Hamster Guest

Synthetic Marijuana Linked to Major Birth Defect

Deborah Brauser

August 17, 2012 — Today's strains of marijuana are up to 600 times more potent than strains popular in the 1970s and 1980s — and present a higher risk for adverse effects on fetal neurodevelopment, including anencephaly, new research shows.

Although a recent study estimated that the worldwide use of marijuana by pregnant women is as high as 20%, many of these women are unaware of the potential harm they are doing to their baby by exposing them to high levels of tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), noted the investigators in a release.

"The argument that this is a harmless drug is no longer valid due to the emergence of bioengineered crops, blends, and novel, medicinal marijuana strains," lead author Delphine Psychoyos, PhD, who was affiliated with the Center for Environmental and Genetic Medicine at Texas A&M Health Science Center in Houston at the time the study was conducted, told Medscape Medical News.

She added that the synthetic cannabinoids AM694 and HU210 that are found in so-called Spice products are 500 to 600 times more potent than the THC found in "traditional" marijuana.

"The THC contained in high-potency marijuana and the potent THC analogues contained in Spice products...are potentially harmful to embryonic development as early as 2 weeks after conception. By the time a woman realizes she is pregnant and stops taking these substances, it may already be too late for her unborn child," said Dr. Psychoyos in the release.

The review was published online August 13 in Drug Testing and Analysis.

Anencephaly, ADHD, Depression, Aggression

According to the investigators, previous research has shown that in utero exposure to marijuana has been linked to anencephaly, a condition in which the forebrain fails to form, as well as with later development of attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder, learning disabilities, memory impairment, depression, and aggression.

Other recent studies have suggested that the developing central nervous system (CNS) is particularly susceptible to the effects of THC.

"These exocannabinoids interfere with the function of an endocannabinoid (eCB) system, present in the developing CNS...and required for proliferation, migration, and differentiation of neurons," write the researchers.

Dr. Psychoyos reported that some medicinal marijuana blends, such as the so-called "Connie Chung" strain, contain up to 20 times more THC than marijuana commonly found 40 years ago.

"The problem is that many women who are pregnant or are planning to become pregnant are totally unaware of this [new] increased potency and the risks they pose," she said.

"Many Web sites on mothering and pregnancy, and those run by pro-marijuana advocacy groups, base their discussions on data collected prior to 1997, when no detrimental effects on pregnancy had been reported," added Dr. Psychoyos.

For this review, the investigators sought to analyze the potentially adverse effects of exocannabinoids and synthetic cannabinoids on early gestation and CNS development in human and animal models.

Teens, Young Adults Need to Know the Risks

Although there are currently no studies on effects on the eCB system during gestation weeks 2 to 4 in humans, studies examining chicks and mice at equivalent developmental stages have been conducted.

"An important point here is that an eCB system is indeed present in early neural development, and that this system is amenable to potential interference by exocannabinoids," write the researchers.

In addition, they reported the following findings:
    •Exposure to marijuana at 1 to 4 weeks of human gestation was linked to an increased risk for anencephaly;
    •Exposure to marijuana at 18 to 22 weeks of gestation was associated with abnormal neuronal circuitry in cognitive and emotional brain centers; and
    •Animal studies showed that in utero exposure to Spice products increased risk for anencephaly.

Dr. Psychoyos noted that further studies are needed on the effects of human gestational exposure to Spice products and to cannabinoid research chemicals.

She added that high-potency marijuana and Spice products are also dangerous for young users, who usually do not realize what they are dealing with.

"Clearly, additional awareness should be provided to teens and young adults in particular concerning the health deficits caused by marijuana, especially given the current debates on rescheduling, legalization, and decriminalization of marijuana based on its medical applications," write the investigators.

A "Real Wake-Up Call"

"It appears that there is some pretty good evidence, at least with animal studies, to suggest that these highly potent cannabinoids do have some effects on the development of neural tissue," Mark Hudak, MD, professor of pediatrics and division chief of neonatology at the University of Florida College of Medicine in Jacksonville, told Medscape Medical News.

However, he said that the article begs the question: are there now actual clinical data clearly telling what these effects are on the development of human babies?

"And the answer to that right now is 'no'," said Dr. Hudak, who was not involved with this research.

"Still, if you say there are no long-term harmful effects from this exposure, that doesn't translate to being able to say that exposure of fetuses to marijuana or these potent cannabinoids is also harmless."

He noted that a study published in Epidemiology in 2009 that examined data from the National Birth Defects Prevention Study showed an increased risk for anencephaly in fetuses exposed during the first month of gestation to maternal cannabis use.

"It wasn't a really big increase, but it was there. Also, some of the information on what the long-term effects are in neurodevelopment status has caused some concerns, such as a suggestion of an increase in tremors and impulsivity," said Dr. Hudak.

"There isn't a great deal of information on this topic, but it suggests that there may be some issues," he added.

Dr. Hudak said that clinicians who treat women of childbearing age should keep these findings in mind and should warn their patients — even if they are not currently considering pregnancy.

"This would be part of good preventive care for women. As a physician, you take a history of sexual activity, you talk about the risks of unprotected sex, and you talk about the things we know are risks to the fetus, including alcohol and now marijuana," he said.

"The process of developing a baby is very complex and occurs in different stages, with the paper saying that neural tissue occurs in the first 14 to 19 days. I think that's a real wake-up call. Knowledge is important. After that, it's their choice. But presenting this information in a nonjudgmental way is just part of a good preventive approach to medicine."

The study was supported by Ruth L. Kirchstein and the National Research Service Award in Neurosciences from the National Institute on Drug Abuse and by grants from the National Institutes of Health. The study authors and Dr. Hudak have disclosed no relevant financial relationships.

Drug Test Anal. Published online August 13, 2012. Abstract

Medscape Medical News © 2012 WebMD, LLC
    Send comments and news tips to news@medscape.net.

2. Vagitarian

Vagitarian Well-Known Member

Excellent find and just another reason this product needs to be legalized and sold by licensed dispensaries like alcohol and all other medications. Imagine if prescription drugs were sold out of people's houses? Imagine if all liquor came from private stills.

This would also produce a nice tax revenue. Thanks again for the good find and also for joining the cause.

3. libluvsbukkake

libluvsbukkake Well-Known Member

My Brother's friend has this shit called Diesel, that is only for special occasions, like $100 per shot liquor. I call it Stroke Weed, because I feel like am having a stroke every time I smoke it. The reason I don't drink, is the same reason I need to only hit this shit once. I fucking hate losing control.

Vag, BN, PM me about the night that Elvis Died.

4. Pale Horse

Pale Horse Guest

We can only dream.

5. Vagitarian

Hysterical ! I'll have to say some of the best I ever had was from Haywood County, North Carolina (Haywood County Dew). My very foirst DM at Merck had me try it when my wiffe and I went to his house for dinner.

And I will grant you some moonshiners make the best. It's just that, like weed, there are suppliers where you have no idea what you're getting...:cool:

6. Drug Dumper

Drug Dumper Well-Known Member

Until the day I leave this earth, I will always believe the laced brownies I ate (without knowing I was pregnant) when I was about 3 weeks pregnant had an impact on my daughter's intelligence.

7. libluvsbukkake

libluvsbukkake Well-Known Member

My sister in law brother in law and I, smoked when she was 8 months pregnant. No effect on her son. Trust me DD, we all beat ourselves up for something we did to/didn't do for our children. If it wasn't this, it would be something different.

8. Vagitarian

My wife smoked too. Our daughter has 2 degrees and is beginning her 3rd. She has always been a dean's list person. She's been out of school and employed for 4 years.

9. Pale Horse

Pale Horse Guest

This is where the rubber hits the road. Only buy from someone w/ a fine reputation.

10. Breakingnews

Breakingnews Well-Known Member

We used to get some stuff called "Wheelchair" - After a few hits, you realized how the strain earned it's name.

In memory of the King . . .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6Gz3qDGUOA&feature=related

11. GorgeousGAMS

GorgeousGAMS Guest

I bought some spice a while back (Madhatter, I think) and I can see how perhaps this stuff should NOT be legal. Think about it; All these manufactured varieties are ONLY available and created as an alternative to just smoking the real stuff which is pretty much still illegal. I do think they are deadly after taking one puff and the stuff knocked me off my feet as though I had dropped LSD. For the life of me, I do not know why just plain old pot is not legal everywhere. It would boost the economy, drive these truly pharmacologic substances out and allow those who would like to smoke in their homes responsibily, do it.

12. Big difference between smoking at a gestational age of 3 weeks and 8 months. DD is probably correct. Unknowingly smoking when she was 3 weeks pregnant could very well have had an effect on her daughter.

13. GorgeousGAMS

GorgeousGAMS Guest

doubtful. . . and that is a horrible thing to say to her. You can go look in a lot of peer reviewed journals in OBGyn research and find that one time drug use especially in that class has zero impact on the fetus. Now, if it had been unfortunately laced with something else, maybe, but not pot brownies. Come on. . . .

14. Perhaps doubtful, but possible. Yes dose as in frequency of use is important, but at that stage of gestation, it remains a possibility and there is nothing horrible a obout not trying to dissuade her of a reasonable belief of which she is convinced herself.

Do you think any OB-GYN would sign off on one time use at this stage?

15. GorgeousGAMS

GorgeousGAMS Guest

Of course not....but you should take a much closer look at what is in our food and water....far more likely the real cause of the 400% increase in what is termed autism spectrum disorders then an infrequent pot smoker.

16. Pale Horse

Pale Horse Guest

I know that for a fact first hand.

17. Wonka

Wonka Active Member

No woman should ever smoke weed before she done having children.

Highly lipophilic. Women born with all eggs. DNA damage. Worst thing a woman can do for unborn kids.

18. In order to get a buzz off of brownies, you would have needed to wolf down a dozen or so. Pot brownies was cool, but was a waste of THC.

I have a daughter who was brain damaged 3 weeks after birth from a pulmonary viral infection. She's doing pretty well considering. I hope your daughter is doing OK too.