Territory Manager Compensation & Expenses

Discussion in 'Butler' started by Anonymous, Jun 12, 2014 at 9:48 PM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I understand that I probably won't receive a true response. However, can anyone please provide a possible average total compensation for a Territory Manager? I understand it varies by territory but there has to be some kind of average.

Also, does this position start with a salary and then go to full commission? If so, what is an average starting salary and commission potential for the 1st year? 2nd? Third?

Lastly, how much does a Territory Manager typically spend in expenses per year?

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I understand that I probably won't receive a true response.
    Way to start off positive...

However, can anyone please provide a possible average total compensation for a Territory Manager?

Salary of 70-80k - bonus really depends. Yes, there is an average, but if 20% are making 3k a quarter and the other 80% are making nothing, then the average is very bad.

Also, does this position start with a salary and then go to full commission?
    Stays on a salary +commission structure. We don't move to full commission. If we did, this company would have 8 employees. Be glad you have a base. It is the only pay most people get.

Lastly, how much does a Territory Manager typically spend in expenses per year?
    It doesn't matter, since you don't pay for it out of your pocket. It is a company expense.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Ha-ha-ha!

Best laugh in a year. If you were hired 4Q14, you probably figured out the comp
    program changed in 1Q.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

So, after adjusting for shipping returns slow/non pays and management overhead
    what's left for the TSM for office supplies car maintenance and those "requisite" lunches?

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Shit.

6. anonymous

anonymous Guest

can I get a little more information about salary, benefits, etc?

It looks as if an expected starting base salary would be $70,000 - $80,000 with a commission. Is this correct?

What is the commission structure like? Do you have to first reach a baseline dollar amount in sales and then the commission is paid out by a percentage above and beyond that or is there a percentage paid on all sales?

My understanding is that there is no company car. Is there any reimbursement for the use of your personal car? Paid mileage? Flat fee? Both?

How about cell phone, is there an allowance for use of a personal cell phone?

What are medical, dental, vacation benefits like?

7. anonymous

anonymous Guest

can I get a little more information about salary, benefits, etc?

It looks as if an expected starting base salary would be $70,000 - $80,000 with a commission. Is this correct?

What is the commission structure like? Do you have to first reach a baseline dollar amount in sales and then the commission is paid out by a percentage above and beyond that or is there a percentage paid on all sales?

My understanding is that there is no company car. Is there any reimbursement for the use of your personal car? Paid mileage? Flat fee? Both?

How about cell phone, is there an allowance for use of a personal cell phone?

What are medical, dental, vacation benefits like?

8. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Typically a guarantee the first year. Expenses are on you. Your car. Runzheimer's.

9. anonymous

anonymous Guest

There is no "base salary." This job is 100% commission. They will start you off on a one year guarantee. What you really need to ask is to see IN WRITING what the territory is currently earning. Ask to see the last 4 months commission reports for the territory. Don't just take their word for it. Typically the amount of the first year guarantee will be in line with what the territory is currently earning, but don't assume. Get it in writing what the territory earns today.

Commission structure is a percentage paid on your profits, not just on the gross sales. There are a few supplemental bonus opportunities as well. Make sure to ask how many accounts are corporate accounts, as those earn less profits. Also, the commission structure has been changing recently, and each time the end result is that you earn less money.

For your car you get a flat fee reimbursement plus mileage. The flat fee varies based on your territory. It's a fair amount.

You can reimburse your cell phone up to a capped amount, but that's it. Everything else comes out of your pocket. Printer ink, office supplies, high speed internet, entertaining clients, etc is all on you.

Medical/dental is about average for a big corporation. Vacation is terrible, starts at 10 days per year. Try to negotiate for more days if you have a lot of experience.

10. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Remember also that whatever accounts is shown you does not mean they are your accounts. If the RM is playing favorites, they can take away accounts from you without adjusting your quota. Same strategy if they want you to leave and they can't get you on the PIP. They just keep taking accounts away until you can't live on what's left.

Not all RMs are like this. Just the sleazy few because they can get away with it.

11. anonymous

anonymous Guest

I am thinking of applying to a territory manager position and came across this post. I know it's from 2015. Have there been changes to pay structure for territory managers since then? What would you guess and average year to look like for a new territory manager commission wise now? Can one anticipate at least $75k? Do you think they are still putting people on one year guarantees? Just trying to get an idea before I get too far in the process. What sincere recommendations would you give to someone coming aboard with the company regarding income and benefits? What does it take to be a successful territory manager and be successful with Henry Schein? Honest answers please. Thanks in advance.