The real world of pharma.....

Discussion in 'Cafepharma Playground' started by Original BOOGER, Dec 17, 2017 at 12:02 PM.

1. Original BOOGER

Original BOOGER new user

I was a pharmaceutical rep for 20 years and I was asked to do a lot of things that were questionable. Early in my career, I was told, not asked, to offer doctors two airline tickets to anywhere in the US if they would write 30 Rxs a non-steroidal, anti-inflammatory drug. I told my boss that I wouldn’t do it. He was OK with that, but his boss wasn’t. I still refused. Eventually, he was convinced that it wasn’t right, but not until many doctors in North Texas “earned” airline tickets through other reps.

I always pushed back and somehow flew under the radar, but the companies used many dirty tactics. It was not a satisfying job, but I was a single father of two and the hours I chose to work made that much easier. If I couldn’t do my job, and do it right, in 20-25 hours a week, I was doing something wrong. That allowed me to volunteer in my kids’ classes, take them camping for longer periods of time....... just spend more time with them. The pay and benefits were obscene, so that along with the hours made it worth it. I always said that my company knew how much they paid me, but they didn’t know how much they paid me per hour.

As nasty as the companies were, I don’t feel bad about that.

libluvsbukkake likes this.

2. Vagitarian

Vagitarian Well-Known Member

Me either. I did many things which I now don't agree with but making a good living working 20-25 hours a week was too attractive to turn down. I took doctors to baseball games and basketball games and they Rxed my pills and bought other products in lieu of using another company's product. As a single guy, I had time to tryst with several ladies. As a father, I had time to see my kids in school programs in the early afternoon. I never had a car over 2 years old. :cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

3. Drug Dumper

Drug Dumper Well-Known Member

I'd give Mr. Dump's left nut to go back into it and make that kind of money again for 25 hours/week.....just for a couple of years.

Vagitarian likes this.
  4. Vagitarian

12 1/2 hours working and 12 1/2 hours faking reports all the while making sure you put enough miles on the company car to make it look like you worked 60 hours a week. And then taking a bow at the awards ceremony with a straight face. :cool:

5. libluvsbukkake

libluvsbukkake Well-Known Member

Those days are long gone. The money is still nice, but they ask you to do the impossible.

6. Vagitarian

Maybe it's the influx of females. ;)

7. libluvsbukkake

We have all of these young frat boys running our division. They are all from the same division, in the same company. If you ain’t in the club forget it. Mission critical for 2018, it’s to get back to Texas from this shithole.

8. Vagitarian

Sounds like when Wyeth bought Lederle. Wyeth ruled all the division
    Sounds like when Wyeth bought Lederle. Wyeth ruled all the divisions except - Pediatrics - which was ruled by Lederle. Those guys even wore the same shirts with the same Polo emblems to after-meeting parties. All promotions came from within that bunch.

Good luck on getting back to Texas. That would be my goal too. Right now thinking I'd like to get out to Sea Mountain. :cool:

9. Drug Dumper

It's always been about "the clubs"-- I thought you couldn't wait to get back to where you are. (??)

10. Drug Dumper

That was easy -- my territory covered 90 miles radius. I always filled my car up on Thursdays so I'd have enough miles to sail through a weekend. As for the hours? I was downsized before the eyes of big pharma could watch your every move -- I started when there were paper tickets (LOVED THOSE) and I had several physician sigs down pat. I just made sure they were working the days I posted them. Good ol' iPaqs

11. Drug Dumper

Yeah, that's what I've heard....when offices are no longer accepting samples and no one is getting access, how are you supposed to get in to see a doc?

12. libluvsbukkake

Good question. Most new drugs are Specialty Drugs, ergo no samples. I have to patch together two years and 10 months, and get back to my beloved Texas.

13. Vagitarian

Lunch :cool:

14. Drug Dumper

yeah, feeding the cows on the front line and the doc doesn't even show. I even picked up every box lunch left on a table and walked out of an office one time. The office manager called and asked me why, and I told her if the doc wasn't going to be available, then I couldn't do lunch. Them's the rules. He was available the next time. For the whole damned lunch hour, too.

15. Vagitarian

I did the same damned thing. Moo........ :cool:

16. libluvsbukkake

Actually, today the Cows are more important. They are the ones, if you play it right, will help get the Rx paid for.

17. Vagitarian

I forgot about that. I had some help me with pre-auths.

18. Original BOOGER

Original BOOGER new user

I thought you were here.

19. libluvsbukkake

Had to move to get a job back to MI. Working on getting back as we speak. I may get a district that goes out to California, so Vag and I can smoke a little and go to a Dodgers game.

20. Vagitarian

:cool: