The Waiting is Horrible/Tell Us Now!

Discussion in 'Merck' started by anonymous, Nov 8, 2017 at 8:40 AM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Why can't they make the calls today as to who stays or goes? Seriously why Dec 4???

2. anonymous

anonymous Guest

To squeeze the last drop of blood from us.
    Can’t have morale go down among the troops, lol.
    Probably because they haven’t figuredout all the ways they can screw those that get canned.
    No matter what happens to you, remember, it’s only business and nothing personal.

3. anonymous

anonymous Guest

I stopped working full time and won’t return until Dec 4th, IF I still have a job. Most of my district is doing same.

4. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Do you have the hand raiser option? You might want to consider that option if it is available. You may keep your job but have a very long commute.

5. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Free advice. Use this downtime to seek employment elsewhere, don't wait. If you are going to another pharma company they don't like gaps in employment, ask around about this. Even if laid off other companies see gaps as a red flag, if said rep is so marketable then why weren't they recruited? Also, by waiting you will be fighting for the same local rep job with 10 other displaced Merck reps and 20 other displaced reps from other companies. I just spoke with 3 people at biotech companies and all confirmed any gap in employment past 90 days disqualifies candidates. My point being, apply now as the process takes months, don't have a gap beyond 90 days. Hope this helps.

6. anonymous

anonymous Guest

It is a test. No work is getting done now and, if sales stay on the sam trajectory it just shows we are not that impactful...then the other shoe drops

7. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Like many things offered for free, your advice provides nominal value.

I'd rather see gaps than see someone take any job, only to take another job 6 months later because the company that had hired them filed bankruptcy or something. That approach indicates not doing one's homework and poor decision-making. Neither is an attribute I found enticing in a candidate. 24-yr biotech veteran, retired 2017.

8. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Whatever ole timer, when you start your own company you can hire whoever you want with gaps. Celgene, Genentech, Amgen, Gilead and more all reject those with employment gap beyond 90 days. Is it right? No, but these are the facts.

9. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Don't blame ya, good move. Funny thing is PPO numbers won't change at all without reps working. Historically vacant territories climb when someone leaves, Sally the Sampler actually hurts business.

10. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Not the ole,timer you’re responding to, but still an old timer with 39yrs experience. Do you think you’ll last that long? Doubtful.

You have a gap in your brain. Stick your ridiculous advice in your ear. The Biotech superiority complex, based on nothing real, is such a load of shit. I worked for Genentech for 22 years after leaving Pfizer,10 as a rep, 12 as a manager. Now with a startup device company.
    Contrary to what your asshole buddies are telling you, the people in biotech were certainly no better than any other medical rep, just thought they were. Products, if they were good, sold themselves. Biotech could and still can, get away with more crap than pharma due to all the rules and regs slapped on pharma. Much of the business is bought and paid for, just like pharma did up to 20 yrs ago when managed care slowly took control.
    Biotech is on its downturn. Once the regs catch up with biotech, they’ll be in the same box we’re in now.
    All healthcare is headed down the same road.
    If a company is that arrogant and stupid to pass on a great candidate because of his/ her “gap” they’re not worth working for.

11. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Omg no wonder this company is failing. Reps leave their fate/finances in someone else's hands. "I hope I get placed" "I hope I get a package", omg! Do something for yourself, take charge, you need someone to wipe your arse too? "Well if i get cut I'll get another job" "but I'm waiting to see what happens". Imagine a Merck rep working 8 - 5 in an office alongside their boss everyday with 10 days vacation to start, no car, no bonus, working with 25 year olds with 4 degrees. You might be allowed to leave at 3pm Xmas eve or New Years eve, maybe. This farce is ending across the industry, reminds me of payphones, Fuller Brush sales, Blockbuster video, all irrelevant.

12. anonymous

anonymous Guest

man up and stop being such a dude. when it happens it happens.

13. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Suck it up cupcake!

14. anonymous

anonymous Guest

I wonder who works less? Government workers (especially Democrats) or
    pharmaceutical representatives?

15. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Well you’re wrong about at least one of these, since I retired from one of these aforementioned biotech players. In terms of being an old timer, at 52, I’m pretty confident I can keep up with you sport.

I’m sure some hiring managers might say that’s the reason, but that’s just a quick exit for them without someone they view as inferior to other applicants.

If you are really good, a gap shouldn’t be an issue. Fact.

16. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Original poster here, I do agree with you and the GAP stuff is stupid. I was simply trying to help out reps in need encouraging them not to wait but be proactive. IF they want to join SOME of the biotechs gaps are a red flag.

17. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Perhaps at one point, but the industry has changed. Layoffs are common and lots of hiring managers have gaps. It’s no longer a strike against a good candidate.

18. anonymous

anonymous Guest

this is unbelievably great news to hear!!! Glad you bunch of phucknuts are going through this. You bunch of priks. The greatest thing? Everyone else is laying off too, so you've missed the boat for those thinking they can land a good job. Hahahahaha!! My weekend is better now. Serves you right. Now you'll see who your real friends are. Oh wait? Thats right. You don't have any.

19. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Hey OP I know it hurts right now. I got through several layoffs then raised my hand the last go around. My advice is go out and do the minimum each day then go out and have a beer. Keep a smile on your face and don't let them (your mates or your boss) see you sweat. Whatever happens turn it to a win. Keep positive for your family don't envision the worst. In my case, I was able to make it into a big win. No more lies and success on my terms. I did a month to month calculation with the pension calculator if I would have stayed, I would have lost money compared to what I ended up doing and making. It was not even close. FU Merck and good luck reps!
    P.S. Its not your fault Merck management is totally clueless to what success looks like. They are rats in a cage chewing on one another and eating their own.

20. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Nah. Many of us who opted out are working at full capacity to make sure we get that package. Don't want them canning us before we get it. Test results would be skewed.