Top 3 Dental Sales Jobs to have

Discussion in 'Dental Reps General Discussion' started by Anonymous, Dec 13, 2014 at 4:50 PM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

"This is the best, and most accurate post I have EVER read on here. You Sir, WIN!!!!!!!!"

Yes, ou are correct, I have won, for a long, long time but thank you for your comment.

I have to go now, poolside food service just opened at 9:30 and while still sleepy I think I can manage to order coffee and a roll. Then a shave and shower and a little clothes shopping before a late expense account lunch with a merch mgr I have known for many years - something expensive as she dosent get out much due to pitiful dealer paycheck. I'll meet her at the rest as I do not want to chance ruining my appetite by actually going to or near the branch and running into someone I don't respect and cannot stand.

Not sure about dinner, maybe just a fake receipt. We'll see.

You bang your heads against the wall boys and girls, or you can do it My Way.

Thus endeth the lesson for today.

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I suppose that's one way to get through your dental career. There are people who actually make their way into management and higher incomes by doing the right thing and actually working. The experience related above I would say holds true in many Industries not just dental. Large companies typically exploit their employees both in pay and time and I agree that "taking back" from the company in whatever way possible is an acceptable way to keep the score close to even. I don't disagree with the poster, rather feel it's to what degree you exploit your employer. By design you are being Exploited as an employee and they have no qualms about it, therefore there should be no qualms when one is intelligent enough to do the same to the company they work for. As long as no one is being hurt its eat or be eaten in regard to large companies. Take what you can, as they take from you.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

"I suppose that's one way to get through your dental career. There are people who actually make their way into management and higher incomes by doing the right thing and actually working."

Name One in dental. Name them. ONE. WHO ? Name them and I will debate them, anywhere, anytime on any dental topic, especially 'management'. Otherwise save the sermons and Go Sell Crazy Somewhere else.

Don't talk to me about "doing the right thing ".

Right thing for WHO ? Get back to making calls and playing with your laptop.

That Prime Rib expense account lunch was too much. I learned everything going on in the sales / territory area though, from sales volume and breakdown to politics to who is the dog and who is the hydrant. What my competition is doing, etc. I'm sleepy. Time for a nap.

You keep 'supposing' poster. Just hope and pray I don't become your Boss.

Then your life would really change.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Jesus Christ talk about angry. No wonder you have never made it past 60 year old territory rep. Well, I guess I would be angry if I were in the same shoes.
    The bottom line is there are people out there who somehow, someway make their way into the upper echelon of corporate America. Through a combination of timing, knowing how to sell, knowing how to be political and of course knowing how to say the right things to the right people.
    You're obviously not there, but there are some decent people out there with $400K a year comp plans, and generous expense accounts, and plenty of time to do all the things they want. Only realt difference is they make $400K and you make $90. I'd rather be the guy making $400K. Probably more employable too. Chew on that one Mr. Angst! LOL.

5. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Dude, that is hilarious. We can troll these boards all day long looking for the next best dental job but I think you just summed it up for everyone. You just wrong how right you are!

6. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Ive been in dental/medical sales for over 10 years. Your good paying dental jobs and medical jobs are around the same (85k base+60-80 bonus). Starter dental jobs will pay slightly less than starter medical. The outrageous salaries that Medtronic and Edwards Lifescience paid out 8 to 10 years ago (300k-400k) are gone replaced by $150-200 total comp. You can make that same amount in dental if you're a good rep with a good company. If you're selling consumables through distribution (3M, Kerr, Dentsply) you'll be in the 75-90 total comp area. Selling technology/equipment in dental you will be in that 150-200 total comp area. Certain implant companies pay in that same area depending on the company. Straumann 70 base, $150 at plan so $110-125 is realistic. Biohorizons 55k base +7% of territory sales, good territories will make 150-200k, 125k-150 is average. A few old legendary distributor reps that are still hanging around make $$$(350-500K). When or if they truly retire their territories will be split 3 ways. I've been a wall flower in the OR in scrubs and chair side with Oral Surgeons/Dentists, bottom line is there's not much difference in total comp when comparing tenured reps. If your boss isn't a total dick be happy. Looking to make lots of $$$ but work your ass off? Sell medical data to pharma companies (Optum, IMS Health) or work for a CRO (Contract Research Organization).

7. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Accurate, informative post.

Thank you. I concur.

In the industry now 15 years.

8. anonymous

anonymous Guest

There is more out there for those who want it. Do not be stuck thinking dental or medical. If you are a professional salesperson remember what Robert Frost wrote:

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
    I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference.

9. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Only problem with this is how much longer are implant companies going to paying this kind of money? Nobel is hurting to the point of being an after thought. 3i and Dentsply are being investigated. The ID and mega gens of the world are on borrowed time. I would be wary of going into this market.

10. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Well
    I took the bus

11. anonymous

anonymous Guest

There are VERY few dental reps that make $150k+ these days. VERY few. Making over $120k is great these days. Don't let that post fool you. Tenured reps can only expect to make $90-100k annually with an occasional spike to $120k every 3-4 years. That's they reality today.

12. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Nice thread. Anyone know what the base and bonus/commission is for BnL Biotech (dental equipment)?

Good company, micromanagers?

Seeing a couple posts for B&L Biotech Sales Reps in my area. Moved from pharma to biotech but BnL seems more like device.

Thanks in advance!

13. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Not true, I know many reps making over 200k plus stock plans, trips and other compensations & perks. If you bust your butt and work at almost any sales job you will be rewarded for your efforts. Don't listen to the reps that "can't do it". These boards are amusing to read, so much misinformation lol!!!

14. anonymous

anonymous Guest

15. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Best post in this forum. This guy hits it dead nuts on.

16. anonymous

anonymous Guest

17. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Let's face it, dental is a total bullshit career path. There are a few companies that are smaller and innovative that you could make decent commissions with but they are rare. Implants used to be lucrative but those days are long gone. Dentistry as a whole is going to shit, dental insurance is the red-headed step-child in employee benefits packages and Delta Dental is ensuring that this whole thing is a race to zero. Doc-in-the-box dentistry is accelerating at light speed and the single practitioner is getting squeezed on all sides, at that point it gets tempting to sell to Heartland or sell the practice completely and go over to any of the other corporate locations and take a paycheck and not worry about personnel issues, benefits admin, scheduling, hiring, etc.

Most smaller companies that used to be great places to work have been gobbled up by the big players. Big dental has a screw the rep mentality via bs quotas and convoluted house-always-wins comp plans. The smart reps find every way to game the companies and their quotas.

18. anonymous

anonymous Guest

"Let's face it, dental is a total bullshit career path."

Nicely said (the entire post). I would add:

Next 'Convention' or 'Meeting' you work (on YOUR weekend days, No Less - the equivalent of a bad garage sale and a close-out rug mart on the wrong side of the tracks), when you get there in the morning looking forward to another day of asshole dentists and ignorant assistants and you take in that first lung-full of the cancerous toxic off-gassing of that industrial carpet they expose you to,

Take a good look around, especially at the fuck up reps in their 50-60 and 70s' and look ahead. Ask yourself:

Do you Really want to end up like any of them ?

Do you want them as mentors ? Can you learn anything positive from any of them ?

Would you have them over your house for a meal with your family ?

I didn't Think so.

19. anonymous

anonymous Guest

If you are bitching about making 100k - 150k in dental...you're missing the freaking point. It's the best part time job I've ever have.

20. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Top Dental Job to have?

Has to be Sirona...

they have Patterson completely locked up for selling there gear.