Topiramate Extended Release Generic

Discussion in 'Supernus' started by anonymous, Jun 25, 2019 at 11:26 AM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. anonymous

anonymous Guest

This was brought up a week ago but totally glossed over so I will try and bring a different perspective. The March 19 2020 date was first mentioned on another thread and someone was able to locate this article
    https://www.thepharmaletter.com/article/zydus-reaches-patent-settlement-on-qudexy
    from back in early 2017 stating Upsher-Smith had reached a settlement to allow Zydus to begin manufacturing a generic Qudexy on 3/19/20. Maybe nobody actually understands what that means so I’ll try and clear up any confusion. It will not be called generic qudexy the approval is for Topiramate Extended Release Generic as references in this article from a second company that has also gained approval
    https://www.biospectrumindia.com/news/43/12582/glenmark-receives-tentative-anda-approval-for-generic-qudexy.html

What this means for us? Trokendi XR is effectively going generic March 19th 2020. Why? Because Supernus took a generic molecule slapped a delivery system on it and got a patent. We do not own the topiramate molecule and when Upsher-Smith decided to settle for rights to an extended release topiramate we can’t do a thing about it. Insurance companies will tip off your writers to its existence even if the companies don’t have reps so it’s coming and there will be a massive Trokendi XR pull back. Even with gold card it’s not going to be easier than generic. I know we will shift focus back to delivery and pk etc. but that barely works against IR now vs an actual XR it will be pointless. It is not my intention to cause a mass panic but as we already know Supernus will not give anyone a heads up on the truth and this would probably be mentioned at the Q2 2020 POA as a foot note to TR presentation.

2. anonymous

anonymous Guest

This is very troubling and will be virtually impossible to sell through. I’m thankful you are bringing attention to it as we all know it wasn’t going to be mentioned in detail at the Q2 2020 POA.

3. anonymous

anonymous Guest

This post almost made me choke on my honey baked ham at my lunch today. Close call.

4. anonymous

anonymous Guest

^ Perfect example of the disdain with which upper level management views us reps. Honey baked ham? Not on my budget.
    $1500/month when Aimovig has $6k+ if they even care to stick to it.

My offices call me when I have lunch like “oh.....where can we afford to get lunch today within your budget? I brought some hummus and pita chips with me just in case....”

5. anonymous

anonymous Guest

You got cool offices!!

6. anonymous

anonymous Guest

It’s not Aimovig for me, it’s Ajovy. Everyone love that guy. But I’ve heard they have troubles getting it approved

7. anonymous

anonymous Guest

I could care less about the injectables, they are established and a great addition for migraine treatment. We wisely chose from day one not to compete with them, we would be smart to stay the course on that. My concern lies with this generic er topiramate coming out. I really hope there is a high level of transparency on this from management as we draw closer to this reality. I'm curious to know if our targeting, bonus structure, market baskets, and message will change.

8. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Glad to see at least one person doesn’t have their head shoved so far up their ass they can’t see that this whole TXR business is about to come crashing down

9. anonymous

anonymous Guest

How is this generic different from the existing topiramate er that’s available. I’m not saying you all are wrong or anything just curious

10. anonymous

anonymous Guest

That’s a Branded generic this one will be a real $4 generic with no PA come on people

11. anonymous

anonymous Guest

The hope is that since leadership would have been aware of this date since 2017 that there is a plan for when the time comes. I don’t blame them for not addressing it now as it bares no impact on our current goals and would just be a distraction.

Have faith people. I know the “us vs them” mentality is real when it comes to reps vs management but we all want the same thing...successful careers with a successful company.

12. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Probably not much scientific differences. There will likely be a substantial price decrease. Payers may tip off our doctors on this. Think logically, if a doctor can get roughly the same medication as TXR at 1/10th the cost to the system, with no phone calls or pharmacy/GC issues I think we should be concerned.

Worst Case Scenario:
    We are unable to get any new scripts as we will have to ST this generic (Payers will code 88 to ensure the GC doesn't bypass this). For the first 3-6 months we could lose 20-30% of our existing market share with switches as the pharmacy level. States that have TXR Medicaid coverage could lose preference if this happens the bottom could fall out overnight on these reps.

Best Case Scenario:
    We are no longer able to attain any new TXR scripts for reasons mentioned above.

I hope management has another rabbit in their hat as its likely compendium won't protect us this go round. I would say they will probably handle it by removing our visibility of the AG/Qudexy/topiramate ER tab altogether in data in Q1 next year.

13. anonymous

anonymous Guest

You created this mentality with the insane level of secrecy. I lol’d when I read you think Rockville can stop a generic XR formulation from taking over. You may control everything we do as reps but you don’t run the pharma world or insurance companies

14. anonymous

anonymous Guest

we work for a great company. Let’s please stay focused and determined. No need for so much negativity

15. anonymous

anonymous Guest

There will always be obstacles. There will always be those who choose to focus on the obstacles and those who choose to focus on overcoming them. Pretty safe to say you are not the latter.

Good luck finding company for that misery. The rest of us will be out doing work we are proud of.

16. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Ostrich approach - the Supernus way. People just want to know the truth from Their company for once. We have too much at stake in our lives to just “trust” you guys.

17. anonymous

anonymous Guest

I am “one of you.” It’s not about blind trust, but it is trust that leadership isn’t going to purposely run us into the ground (they also have families and lives at stake). If you are so smart to see this coming don’t you think they can figure it out too?

18. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Ok..... Keyboard hero. That's very difficult when I've watched my ability to bonus drastically decrease since MABS last year, just to find out its going to get even more difficult next year.

I guess you want us to stay focused and determined on this path of less and less MONEY??? We built this company with you, how can you just hang us out to dry like this? Someone mentioned earlier "us vs them" or reps vs management this couldn't be more the case as things stand now. We did use to have a common goal until you started taking advantage of us and lying to us in broad daylight.

19. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Yep

20. anonymous

anonymous Guest

I would like to discuss this enormous elephant in the room. Rockville says don’t worry everything will be fine because

It’s not “AB rated” pharmacy can’t switch to generic

“Generic” has been out for years and won’t effect our business

It will be priced so high, noble

What about the all mighty insurance companies???

Wait until they send out a mass letter to all of your docs saying a real generic extend release is available

Or when they make generic extended release a step through after IR before you can get to TXR

Or what about when the pharmacy calls your doc and says hey I know you just wrote TXR but there’s a PA and we can fill generic XR right now!

How many docs say no send the PA over I think this patients needs the benefits of TXR over generic extended release???