Transition ideas

Discussion in 'Industry Veterans' started by Anonymous, Jun 7, 2011 at 4:45 PM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I know from time to time this topic has come up on CP. I am hoping someone has some recent insight. I was laid off (for the second time) 7 months ago. I spent 12 years in the industry, all in a sales position. 8 years BtB experience in sales/district mgmt prior to pharma. Bottom line- I really, really want to move out of pharma. I just don't find it fulfilling anymore and although you can be laid off in any industry nowadays, I don't want to get let go for a 3rd time from pharma. It starts to really wear on you.

Does anyone out there have any suggestions on what type of career could be pursued by a tenured drug rep (other than pizza delivery man or caterer...- I'm trying to cut off the silly responses in advance)? I am really struggling with finding direction. I know the economy is bad but there has to be something out there non pharma where I could contribute. I considered going back to school but I just can't get comfortable with that and have decided I don't want to go that direction at this time. I would rather keep working as I'm in my forties now.

Anyone who has transitioned out recently and can share insight for other industries I would really appreciate hearing from you

Thank You

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Selling services for a hospital system

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Are you open to more schooling? If so how about CPA or PA degrees. Both are about 2 years and as stable of a career as you can get.

If you want to stay in sales, how about chemical sales, hospital equipment, diagnostics, dental, vet, physician recruiting.

I might even recommend reading a few books or taking some classes to figure out what your interests and passions are and try to go from there. I'm in my forties and I've dodged a few layoffs, I'm currently getting a degree in Accounting...just in case it all goes to shit.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Take money out of the equation and follow your passion. You sound like you are someone who needs a job to be fulfilling, which is not a bad thing it just requires a more honest approach. And first you have to define “fulfilling”. Is it more money, less hours, greater responsibility, more altruistic in nature, etc. For instance if being a school teacher is your passion you have to be honest and know that you will make substantially less money, but you may be very fulfilled. If making a lot more money is fulfilling you need to be honest with yourself and know that a lot of hard work is needed to reinvent yourself, reeducate yourself, and re-network yourself to land in a position with much higher earning potential.

For me a job is a means to an end and I could care less what the day to day is as long as it is flexible, I am treated like a professional, and I make enough money to live the lifestyle I want to live. I do not need the job to be fulfilling so for me pharm fits the bill. I’ve been an oncology rep for 12 years, rarely if ever see or hear from my manager, I[‘ve known my customers for as many years so there is a comfort level, and I can make north of $200K a year. For me that is all I need from my job. I use the flexibility and the decent income to pursue my interests outside of the job.

Good luck.

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

What company are you with? I'm also in oncology, and have had the autonomy you note for years. Due to corporate changes, our oncology division will be treated like pharma again, 2 day ride alongs, checking boxes, .... I need the independence you describe as I'm going from working with a boss 1/2 day twice a year to 16 or more days per year. This is highly demotivating, and micromanaging at its best.

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

My guess is that guy work in NYC. And anyone that brags about how much the make is pretty much an idiot.

Of course its demotivating. It is designed that way.

My thinking is that they could care less, because there are so many people just dying to get in.

I would say to just follow your passion, as well. Its sounds silly, but its true. Also, it doesn't matter how much money you make, but how much you save.

Save up. Find a good spouse with the same values. And you will be surprised at the quality of life you have have.