Trying to get a job at Medtronic

Discussion in 'Medtronic' started by anonymous, Aug 7, 2018 at 10:24 PM.

Tags: Edit
  1. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Hi guys,

How did you do it? How were you able to get your first medical device sales job? I have experience in b2b sales and experience in lab equipment/supply sales. I have been applying non stop and haven't even gotten an email back. I would very much appreciate any help or advice.

I am currently trying to get my foot in the door at Medtronic and wanted to see if anyone would be interested in providing me with a contact (email/direct phone) there or possibly a referral.

Am I a jerk for even asking? Any advise would be appreciated.

2. anonymous

anonymous Guest

First of all, why do you want to work in surgical device at all, and why Medtronic? If it’s for the money, then you need to reconsider. The industry is highly competitive and commoditized, which means companies do not pay. There are pays caps in every comp plan, you just won’t know it until you have started selling. The job is STRESSFUL, with little advancement potential, and not much job security- layoffs are common and “merit” increases don’t exist at Medtronic. Base pay is very low and there is no negotiation. At plan for a new rep is $135k and up, depending on your division. The hours can be horrible and will take a toll on your family. Divorce rates are high among those of us who take call 24/7. You’ll sacrifice a ton of time with your kids if you have them. I’ve been here a long time and this is the reality.

Still interested??? Ok, then you need to consider starting at another company to get OR experience. Medtronic does not typically hire without an OR background- the learning curve is just too difficult without it. We make exceptions for an extensive educational background, which is how I got hired. (Plus a mutual friend recommended me to my hiring manager.) Try Applied Medical, Gore, Bard or Baxter. Work there for 2-3 years then reapply to Medtronic. Hope this helps. Good luck.

3. anonymous

anonymous Guest

This is white male “privilege” at its finest. “Go start at another company and get OR experience” while you get a friend to get his buddy to hire you. What a total hypocrite!

4. anonymous

anonymous Guest

LOLOLOL

5. anonymous

anonymous Guest

I’d like to cash in my Male White Privilege credits for a high-paying job with MDT. Is there a specific department in HR for these transactions?

6. Omar Is Rack

Omar Is Rack Guest

Don't waste your time - we are in expense controls for Q2 and all hiring is frozen (again).

7. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Unfortunately, a job with Medtronic is very hard to get. Forget about the "holds" and "freezes" you read about. Mdt is always hiring exceptional proven people. If this is your first venture into trying to get hired with any of the big 3, get in line and wait. For better or worse, this industry is more of a "who you know" than "who you are". There are literally 45 people in line for every open position with MDT. The best way to get your foot in the door is to make contact with the local sales manager, DSM or RSM. Let them know you have applied and are interested and then request the ability to do a "ride along" with one of the clinicals or sales reps in your area. This will get your name known and when a position opens, apply and perhaps reacquaint yourself with the people you met. This is a highly, highly competitive market and the more competitive you show yourself to be, the more likely you are to land an interview. Even then, you will have several years (yes i said YEARS) of interviewing and review before an offer will be extended. I work in CRM and have been in this industry for 20 years. Its just how it is. Sorry to be a downer, but its just the truth.

8. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Well that sounds odd since I know someone who hadn't even worked a job in over 10 years & had ZERO experience in anything medical related & used her husband's business in an unrelated industry as her job history & got hired.
    Apparently because she had a degree. Big deal. Anyone who was forced to go to college paid for by their parents in my book is nobody smarter or any better than a person without a degree.

9. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Agree 100%. It's all about who you know, kissing ass, timing, a bit of luck, and not losing your mind. Even when you get in, trying to navigate to a new opportunity is almost impossible sometimes. I've seen external people get hired who have absolutely no medical device experience over people who are internal and have worked for the company fo years, simply because they knew someone in a power position. But even if you get in, there is always Spring Cleaning so keep you head up for what business is on the chopping block next..