UHS - Worst Company Ever?

Discussion in 'Universal Hospital Services' started by Anonymous, Jun 22, 2015 at 5:10 PM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Please discuss the ways in which UHS has treated you as an employee.

Items for discussion: Promises, pay, health benefits, work opportunities, providing resources to do your job effectively, equipment, training, PTO, leadership, vision, etc.

Thanks for sharing your stories and thoughts!

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

CafePharma is not a great place for unbiased employee surveys..................

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Worst company I've ever worked for. People are treated like slaves and given meager wages.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Aren't surveys supposed to be biased, hence the need for a survey?

Absolutely the worst company imaginable, imho. Can only hope life will improve, personally and professionally, once this nightmare ends which hopefully will be very soon.

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

CafePharma is a great place for unbiased information.

If you want to see how a company values their employees, look at there PTO policy. This year UHS reduced the PTO balance from 80 to 40 hours. A very small cost savings. This single change has caused more problems that any other policy change in the last few years.

This policy along with the current earned PTO amounts is far below the industry standard and is a good indicator of what UHS thinks of their HR talent.

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Honestly when I worked for UHS there were so many things wrong, I don't have the effort to site here and write a novel. I would honestly steer clear anyone who is considering joining UHS at this time...biggest reason, you can get the same job in the same industry for substantially more pay. I took a very similar job at a different medical device company for a 26% pay increase. They also really don't give a shit about what their employees think, maybe that was just my department and direct manager? oh well on to bigger and better things..

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

The entire company is horrible. The AEs are lazy, the DODs are know it sells (see new idiot in southwest) the management at all levels is inept, and the operations teams find more ways to not work.

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Are you referring to Mr. Speedo and his bodybuilding pictures? (Idiot DOD in SW)

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Agree biggest waste of my time interviewing with them. Never have seen such an un professional group of people in my entire career. I hope they get what they have coming to them!!

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Agree biggest waste of my time interviewing with them. Never have seen such an un professional group of people in my entire career. I hope they get what they have coming to them!!

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I don't know about the worst company to work for but they under pay, under support and mislead you about what is realistic pay. I have four interviews lined up and can't wait to be rid of the UHS train wreck.

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I was forced to use up my earned PTO when that fat slob, Bob the Slob, forced everyone to use it or loose it. I wasn't able, with the short notice, to arrange a family vacation that we normally take and wanted to hold back the extra vacation as my wife was expecting our 3rd child. I had to take two weeks before it was "lost" because HR will do anything to screw you out of what was earned.

That was the last straw for me and was able to find another opportunity with 25% more pay, better benefits and competent executives. Thanks for the 3 year run UHS. Good luck to those of you who decide to stay or can't find something elsewhere.

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Nice to hear from someone who made it out and found something better!
    Any more openings with your new company?

Bob the Slob = funny stuff there.
    Gary OverDose and the 360 henchmen are still around - these guys must have some dirty secret on someone - I wouldn't trust that group to rake my leaves. Customers just roll their eyes at these jokers.

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

HR sets a policy that only allows 40 PTO Hrs carryover which is a reason people are leaving, but HR is tasked to retain employees.

Looks like we need a blackbelt to develop a DMAIC report to extrapolate the data here to solve this issue.

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Universal Hospital Services suffers losses, gains a new CEO

By Rachel Landen | March 24, 2015
    Universal Hospital Services reported another 12 months of disappointing financial results with the healthcare technology and medical-device supplier recording a net loss of $66.5 million for the year ended Dec. 31, 2014.

Despite higher overall revenue of $436.7 million, up nearly 2% from $428.4 million a year ago, the company's net loss grew by nearly 55%. Expenses were up across all three segments, outpacing revenue growth in the company's clinical engineering and surgical services divisions.

Universal Hospital Services' largest segment, which provides medical-equipment-outsourcing services to more than 7,000 healthcare providers, stayed flat. For the second year in a row, the Minneapolis-based company reported revenue of $285.5 million for the segment, which represents about two-thirds of its business.

But that division has faced challenges recently as more hospitals and providers are directly purchasing, leasing and managing their own equipment, rather than relying on outsourcing.

In July, the company learned that a national group purchasing organization had awarded an expiring equipment contract to one of its competitors. Its effect on Universal Hospital Services' 2014 loss in revenue was relatively minimal at just $400,000, but the effect on 2015 results is expected to drag down revenue by $15 million to $20 million.

That could be concern for a company that is already operating in the red with a 2014 operating loss of $25.8 million. That, coupled with interest expense of more than $53 million, left Universal Hospital Services with a pre-tax loss of $79.1 million for the year. It's nearly double the $42.5 million loss suffered in 2013.

Gary Blackford, chairman and CEO, announced in August that he would be stepping down from his roles after 12 years with the company, just several months after William Mixon, president of the company's medical equipment division, also resigned.

This week, Universal Hospital Services appointed a new chief executive to take the role left vacant by Blackford on Feb. 6. Thomas Leonard, 47, and most recently president of medical systems for CareFusion Corp., will assume the top leadership position at Universal Hospital Services April 13.

16. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Here is some more unbiased information! Holy Cow! Where do I start?!? I have been here for 13 years. If you think medical rentals is a nightmare, surgical services is the same. Lying, having favorites, racism, vile language from managers and directors, pushing people out of their positions to put in someone that bows down to them. The turn over rate is higher than its ever been in all my years here. Nathania Ackerman is a complete joke as a manager. She is manipulative, a liar and completely incapable of EVER being a manager. Trotting around the office in tight hot pink pants and a see thru top for a meeting is far from professional. No one can stand working with her. She has been with us for less than 3 years and is continuously driving people out. I do not have any respect for her. She lacks integrity and any managerial skills. She was Spencer's pet, he's another piece of work. When you think racist, you should hear the shit he would say. But, he's buddy-buddy with Yvette in HR so nothing is ever done about him. They have killed any morale that was left with the company. I can't wait to get out of here. 8 out of 10 people are looking for different employment. It's really sad because I used to enjoy what I did but UHS doesn't care about us at all.

17. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Universal Hospital Services suffers losses, gains a new CEO

By Rachel Landen | March 24, 2015
    Universal Hospital Services reported another 12 months of disappointing financial results with the healthcare technology and medical-device supplier recording a net loss of $66.5 million for the year ended Dec. 31, 2014.

Despite higher overall revenue of $436.7 million, up nearly 2% from $428.4 million a year ago, the company's net loss grew by nearly 55%. Expenses were up across all three segments, outpacing revenue growth in the company's clinical engineering and surgical services divisions.

Universal Hospital Services' largest segment, which provides medical-equipment-outsourcing services to more than 7,000 healthcare providers, stayed flat. For the second year in a row, the Minneapolis-based company reported revenue of $285.5 million for the segment, which represents about two-thirds of its business.

But that division has faced challenges recently as more hospitals and providers are directly purchasing, leasing and managing their own equipment, rather than relying on outsourcing.

In July, the company learned that a national group purchasing organization had awarded an expiring equipment contract to one of its competitors. Its effect on Universal Hospital Services' 2014 loss in revenue was relatively minimal at just $400,000, but the effect on 2015 results is expected to drag down revenue by $15 million to $20 million.

That could be concern for a company that is already operating in the red with a 2014 operating loss of $25.8 million. That, coupled with interest expense of more than $53 million, left Universal Hospital Services with a pre-tax loss of $79.1 million for the year. It's nearly double the $42.5 million loss suffered in 2013.

Gary Blackford, chairman and CEO, announced in August that he would be stepping down from his roles after 12 years with the company, just several months after William Mixon, president of the company's medical equipment division, also resigned.

This week, Universal Hospital Services appointed a new chief executive to take the role left vacant by Blackford on Feb. 6. Thomas Leonard, 47, and most recently president of medical systems for CareFusion Corp., will assume the top leadership position at Universal Hospital Services April 13.

18. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Spencer is a POS that looks and acts like the incompetent doofus that he is. He is a fine example of why siblings should not breed together.

19. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

This is so sad I worked for UHS for several years and thankfully got out last year as you could feel major changes coming. There was a time when UHS had great customer relations I could service customers equipment 7 days a week all over the east coast and always come away with a win and make record contributions of revenue growth. Now it's all changed good luck to all who are still there.

20. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

So sad to hear this bad news , I left UHS last year enjoyed many years working with great coworkers , awesome customers and great 3rd party party relationships with Many vendors providing service all over the East Coast. You could always come away with a win now Adams seems like it all changed. I hope things turn around for UHS and for the folks who are still there