Urgent Teleconference @ 1:30 tomorrow; Layoffs are Coming!!

Discussion in 'Merck' started by anonymous, Oct 18, 2017 at 9:08 PM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. anonymous

anonymous Guest

December 4 is the cut off and you will likely have a short window to reply because they do not want to pay for vacation shut down time. The company matches @12% and your tax bracket is what it is

2. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Dec 4th? That's not long enough for a WARN period?!

3. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Friends, I have been through cuts over and over and I know I'm done this round. Some advice:

*Take this time for you, update resumes, network, sleep, take a walk.
    *Colleagues may get nasty, avoid the negative ones.
    *If you survive the cut don't get complacent as more will come. Use the borrowed time to find a well suited, well paying job. This can take 6 months minimum.
    *Leave in good graces if cut. You may end up interviewing at a company where former Merckies now work. They may be interviewing you.
    *Don't rely on CP for 401k, financial advice,etc. I know posters are trying to help but most of it is guessing.
    *Talk out options with your spouse calmly, don't panic, be strategic. Join another pharma co with less pay and use the time to find another well paying gig suited for you. Hey a paycheck, car and benefits beats dwelling.
    *(related to above) take any pharma gig you can get out the gate, don't wait and live off severance. It is a fact right now that recruiters will overlook candidates with gaps over 90 days. You need to be working by early March or your chances diminish.
    *Unless your young, single and a trust fund baby, don't change careers. Stick to what you know to maximize earnings.
    *Don't let your ctl keep you super busy in coming weeks. Take a day off if you need to, a good ctl will know you are interviewing. Some ctl's will be in overdrive and demanding of reps, they too are jockeying for attention/placement.
    *Don't waste time with colleagues trying to figure out placement scenarios, it never works out as expected.
    *Do seek employment NOW, if you are placed you can tell the other company NO.
    *Work your external connections, anyone can apply online but connections can get you in the door or tell you if a job posting is a cover for a lead candidate.

Now it's in your hands. As for me, I'm now an ole timer hanging up my hat.

CRN likes this.
  4. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Thank you for being positive. CP is often filled with a lot of nastiness. We are all faced with a big change right now, and being negative and nasty won't help. Good luck to everyone.

5. anonymous

anonymous Guest

I'm guessing you are a narcissist- why would you post such a self serving comment when so
    Many people will be financially hurt?

6. anonymous

anonymous Guest

The CTL didn't actually post it. Why would they out themselves on CP? It's just some troll trying to get their CTL in trouble or just being a troll in general. Let it go.

7. anonymous

anonymous Guest

This is the most valuable post ever made on CP. Let's take control of our lives starting NOW!

8. anonymous

anonymous Guest

60 days will be added on to December 4th making separation day effective around February 4th. The silver lining is that we will get full benefits into early 2018 including vacation days and a prorated target SIP.

9. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Don't take anymore vacation days as you will be paid for unused vacation days. For most of us, that's at least an additional 500.00 per day.

10. anonymous

anonymous Guest

i am so sorry my friends. I left Merck some time ago...I can tell you there is life after Merck. You will find another job, but just prepare yourself that it will not be as good as what you are leaving. But that's just the way it is these days....Merck was a hold out from the good old days. You will survive. Keep your chin up and press on with life...your identity is not found in any company Do not dwell on if you will be kept...take action and find your own place.

11. anonymous

anonymous Guest

The statement above is sooo true!! It won’t be better anywhere else, it’s just a sign of the times! Keep your head up !!! You will be ok!!

12. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Are they offering hand raising? I took the last one and am glad for it. It was time for me.

13. anonymous

anonymous Guest

14. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Today is October 20th you’ve been warned you find out dec 4th and the effective date is dec 20 that’s how 60 days works

15. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Read the paperwork--official separation date is January 2, 2018. Severance checks go out Jan 2018.

16. anonymous

anonymous Guest

What is the process for staying or being severed.

17. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Contrary to what you have been told decisions are made first with litigious concerns in mind. Merck does not want any legal issues bubbling to the surface. Oh, and there is this little issue of Merck being a company run by legal.

Second, this is a cost cutting exercise. If you are a highly compensated representative you should be concerned.

Now for those of you who want to hang your hat on performance, as you have been told (oops-insert lied). No.

Several problems here: 1) If Merck ever had to defend the validity of the "numbers" they would drown in the embarrassment and be blown out of the courtroom. 2) Everyone knows Rx is driven by managed care and that is why you are expendable. 3) Merck has maintained a huge portion of their differentiation process on subjective analysis of the local manager--in other words who kisses who's ass the best. So No, performance is not a factor.

I know this because I have been witness to the process at an HQ level in the past. What you are being told and what actually happens---let's just say they could not be more apart.

18. anonymous

anonymous Guest

These bitches told the whole world before they told us. I don’t even want to be here anymore.

19. anonymous

anonymous Guest

I'm not taking any package. I'm applying internally for a new team. I'll even move and use relocation reimbursement offered.

20. anonymous

anonymous Guest

You really will not have a choice. 1st you will be severed and then if there are open positions people can apply. There will not be very many if any openings.