Urgent Teleconference @ 1:30 tomorrow; Layoffs are Coming!!

Discussion in 'Merck' started by anonymous, Oct 18, 2017 at 9:08 PM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. anonymous

anonymous Guest

I hope they shover it up Michael Raymonds a$$!!!!

2. anonymous

anonymous Guest

It’s actually a pretty random process. They bring in a 3rd party company to carve territories and then basacally re align the sales force. They keep so many people in 50s, 40s, 30s to keep them inline w/ any possible discrimination suits. Same for managers total randomness.

3. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Well, I think that is a fair way to base these decisions. Cudos to Merck for being so fair.

4. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Yes Merck is SO fair

5. anonymous

anonymous Guest

hey jerk off, whats up. yes, they will be cutting just one check again for severance, just like they always have. There are no options for that, as I've already been through this. This is great news to hear!!! I love it when schmerckass has layoffs.

6. anonymous

anonymous Guest

I raised my hand in the 2014 layoffs. I couldn’t have made a better decision. I updated my resume and found a new job fairly quickly making more money than I was with Merck. This past January I went to a small biotech where I received another $15k increase in pay. Merck was toxic when I was there and I am so happy to be gone.

There is life after Merck, in fact it’s a really good life. Good luck to all but I highly recommend raising your hand.

7. anonymous

anonymous Guest

This is pretty accurate. Don't think to much of it if you get cut. You could be tops in the nation and get cut. It is not a reflection of your performance or who kisses who's ass. You will be shocked at what managers get cut/or stays and the same for some reps. I've been through this before too after 20 years and I can tell you that it was a gift to be cut. My suggestion is if you were a long timer is to take sometime off, do a few bucket list items. Your resume speaks for itself having been loyal to one company for so long, besides in this day and age if you have 15/20 years w/ one company that is impressive in itself because it's unheard of in in 2017, trust me about this, you are a rare find. You had to do many things right, year after year to be around that long. There is life after Merck and all will be fine. Finally, don't worry about any stupid tax bracket BS from some of the posters. Finally, Just roll w/ it because everything is out of everyones control despite what they think they know or who they know.

8. anonymous

anonymous Guest

This process sucks. It creates anxiety and tension. I don’t understand the sales groups at Merck. We have never been introduced and we don’t know what customers we overlap. I have to bump into someone in a office or proactively reach out from Veeva. How do you think that looks to customers? Merck needs change and shouldn’t ever have allowed this to happen in the first place. Remember this day. If you stay it will likely happen again in a year or 2. This is the way of pharma now. Less interactions more emails more tech. Pay attention to EBB and listen to what they say. Merck wants to make money, investing in products that are specialty. If you know tech and want to move to Philly- that is the new Merck. Obviously, the wrong people are in place at Merck in tech. Maybe one day there will be laptops that don’t take 20 minutes to turn on and programs that don’t crash or sales resources that are accurate or meaningful. Maybe then people can target their territories in the field accurately. Until then there will be unmotivated frustrated reps checking the box, putting in worthless 4,6,8 calls a day playing the Merck game. States continue to decrease access and monitor spending. A good manager is hard to find. I hope they can keep people with knowledge and relationships that are helpful and not back stabbers. The crap has to go. I’m not sure a layoff gets rid of what Merck needs to get rid of.

9. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Listen, this is an INDUSTRY problem. This is happening everywhere so you will not be able to go some where else and think the grass is greener, It is not. This Industry is a shell of what it was 20 years ago. Today, if you are a rep you are just an number in a territory. This is a BLUE COLLAR job and has been for 25 years. Anyone who is fooled into thinking this is anything else is in serious denial. Reps at every company are just logging 4,6,8 fantom calls a day and corp knows it. The biggest farce is DM/RM level positions they actually think there is something to manage and have ruined moral and corp culture throughout the industry for years. Just read some of the other CP posts on other Big Company boards they are all the same. This Industry has changed and not for the better. I'll I can say is move on w/ dignity, know you had a nice run if you have 10,15, 20 years in and find a nice adult second career act because Pharma is not an adult job anymore and hasn't been one for years.

10. anonymous

anonymous Guest

That’s exactly what I meant. No pharma company is safe, you get lucky if you have a drug covered and competition doesn’t have a better indication. But Merck can make changes that would make us better positioned in the market and not waste our time and their money. This stuff is getting old and being bull dozed by competition because of Merck’s crappy excuses for legal taking too long to get resources approved is getting old fast. No other company has this mentality anymore. Reps launch with detail pieces and medical doctors go in the field with reps and answer questions quickly at other companies. Stop hiding behind shitty excuses of legal Merck you’re ruining our reputation in the field and getting rid of our access.

11. anonymous

anonymous Guest

100% spot on posting...kudos...Pharma sales is a total joke...

basically a kindergarten for adults with powder puff liberal arts degrees...You have no idea how screwed you
    are going to be if laid off and having to start over in the real world...good luck everybody...hope you saved well.

12. anonymous

anonymous Guest

A little dramatic, however you will be fine after Merck and Co. You will not be screwed...you will just need realistic expectations.

13. anonymous

anonymous Guest

They are all the same, You are wrong. The bigger the company the more childish the job anymore. If you get another job w/ in big Pharma you will be required to go through initial training again, it's a legal thing. They are all the same, you can not escape. If you can put up w/ that..good luck.

14. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Here is the next nugget. If you are one of the ones that think they are the super star sales person / needs to live in the best neighborhood, shops all the time, kids in private school and keeps up w/ the Jones's, you are going to feel "A LOT OF PAIN". This is not a Sales job and no real sales company is going to care about your suit or purse as a matter of fact that is going to hurt you. The one thing which will be a lot of fun to watch unfold is the DMs/RMs going through this because they for sure are totally delusional human beings and there are LESS of those jobs.

15. anonymous

anonymous Guest

F/U MICHAEL RAYMOND!

16. anonymous

anonymous Guest

You are totally describing Vaccine DCO, Thomas L. Lyon III. I hope he gets canned. He has been w/ Merck since he got out of college since 1993 and he is 46 years old. Because his dad was some business professor at a ritzy privat Midwest school, this guy waltzed in Merck, barely selling anything, and made it to management quickly. He knows nothing but pukes out useless corporate buzzwords and unrealistic sales tactics. He is now just a two faced liar trying to hold onto his job. He is probably making 150 to 200k plus bonuses/stock options and he isn't worth a dime of it. Merck could save money firing this useless nanomanager.

17. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Biotech? Good for you for getting out years ago and earning the big bucks. Unfortunately very few Merck reps, even in the good old days, are able to land a job in biotech. Those companies look for pedigrees, you know, country club types: smart, connected, attractive and well below the 50 year old mark. The process for joining places like Celgene, Amgen, Genentech is brutal. Of the 900 severed soon, maybe 5 in the entire US might get hired within biotech. OP, please don't give false hopes, pc/hospital reps at Merck should be looking for contract rep jobs paying 50-60k. If you are one of the 5 who biotech answers your call expect the hiring process to take 6 months. Also expect 6 phone screens, multiple live interviews, psych test (yes), wicked background tests,etc. Panel interviews are brutal, high level reprint discussions while getting peppered with questions. Then, if hired, boot camp training is nasty with 50% of hires sent home for not making the grade. Folks, just being honest, it's doggy dog out there right now.

Signed,

Merck guy laid off 2 years ago, now at hq at GENE.

18. anonymous

anonymous Guest

One thing is for sure. If you are fortunate enough to find employment, get ready to actually start working and putting in long hours. Gone will be the "flexible" schedule.

19. anonymous

anonymous Guest

All BS

20. anonymous

anonymous Guest

hahahahahaha!!! Good enough for you clowns. This will bring you down a few notches. Try replacing your current lazyass salary now! Hahahaha!! All the good jobs are now taken. You might land that $50,000 contract job! Oh wait, thats more like $40,000! I'd say good luck but I wish you no luck. Couldn't happen to a more deserving group of people. Now EAT