Wearing scubs on sales calls

Discussion in 'Genzyme' started by Anonymous, Dec 1, 2006 at 1:13 AM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Do you know what your wife, ex-wife is doing right now?? Don't forget your scrubs!!!!

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I've actually heard a surgeon make fun of a rep for wearing a suit in the OR. His exact words were "suit selling slime balls" to be exact. If your a true surgical or implant rep scrubs are a requirement. Institutions will not allow you to wear your "let me look professional suit" during cases. If your a "howdy folks" OR rep you can get away with wearing a suit but your going to stand out like a sore thumb.

I also suspect those adimitedly opposed to scrubs are those brainwashed by the J&J type cultures of the sales world. Your attire should be based on your sales environment, a suit is appropriate for meetings and presentations not cases. Keep in mind "real" surgical reps don't call on their docs in their offices, they make their living supporting docs in surgery.

Might want to be less critical and judgemental until you really understand the reasoning behind what your opposing. I bet most of the "scrub dorks" as you referred to them can afford to buy more suits on one paycheck than you can.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I just punched myself in the face because of your post.

where do I even start with the crap you wrote.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

BlAh Blah Blah... Point taken about scrubs! "I haven't made under 200 in 5 years". Just proves the point you "Scrubs" are just that. Docs do laugh at the ones who act the part of a doc! Just sayin...

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I laugh at reps who sell 16 year old internal bandaids that argue about scrubs or not...most surgeons I know laugh at them...wait til you go in there with your new Sanofi manager and your seprafilm name tag ...

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Its not a bad job, even with a Sanofi name tag. Scrubs in the OR professional clothes outside of the OR. Pretty simple. No matter how much money you make. I am thinking the women do not play the scrubs game as they don't care about pretending to be surgeons.
    Wearing scrubs is like a fast sports car for some guys.

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

This the dumbest story i have ever heard. Yes, I wear scrubs. It is because as a sales rep I am in 2-3 different hospitals a day. Usually rushing from one to another. It is a pain in the a#$ to change every time. Nobody is trying to look like a doctor. It is just part of the job.

You want to know what is stupid? Why the hell do you docs wear lab coats? Are you back in the lab mixing drugs? Do you have a incredibly lame story on lab coats as well?

8. Deepsea_Diver

Deepsea_Diver New Member

I'm not surprised you punched yourself in the face. Morons do that sort of thing.

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

You had a Doc asking you to "get his golf clubs" and you did it? Seriously? How small are you? Do you do oil changes? Do you pick up dry cleaning?

What if you asked him to grab your clubs? Would he?

Small, small man.

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I have never been in a hospital OR that lets you wear your own scrubs. You always have to change into the hospital issued scrubs. You scrub-wearers are ridiculous. Unless your BFE hospital doesn't give a rip about a sterile environment, which I suppose is possible.

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Here is your lab coat story. Some ORs, depending on their particular set of rules ask reps to wear your own laundered scrubs . This serves multiple purposes, to ID you from other staff members and to keep you from walking out with their scrubs. If they want you to wear your own scrubs often they require you (not ask you) to wear a knee length lab coat in and out of the facility and in all common areas of the hospital. Does it look stupid, yep but do we have a choice, nope. Look I wear scrubs all day long unless I am in a meeting that requires me to be suited up. I'm not letting some guy walk off with a nice tie or a blazer or suit that i have to leave shoved in an unlocked locker if I am lucky. Whats the point, just more stuff to take to the dry cleaners. Throw the scubs in the wash at home and be done with it. I know my place and it "aint" playing doctor by wearing scrubs. I don't want most of the surgeons lives, too much pressure, real good money but many have big debt as well, taking call, long hours etc etc. I'll take my cash with some sales pressure and a great home life and wear scrubs all day long for it.

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Hey Einstein, scrubs are NOT STERILE!! They get washed by the hospital and sit on a dusty shelf in the locker room, or sit in a giant dirty machine. Your statement has NO validity. Just because the hospital makes us change, that doesn't mean we can't go into the hospital in our own scrubs.

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

When my kid gets home from school he changes out of his his school clothes.

He is ten years old.

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I did pharma and am device now. I wear scrubs everyday, as I am in OR everyday. I change into hospital scrubs as required. I will never wear a suit, as I do no want to be associated or misconstrued as a pharma rep in any way. That is how everyone does it in the SE. As a device rep, we are clinical sales reps. We are not allowed into the OR unless we are in scrubs. The OR is where we sell, never in clinic. I do not mean any disrespect, it is just a totally different sales call.
    If you are ever able to get into real device sales, you will understand. The longer you have your mouth on the pharma nipple, the less likely the golden handcuffs will allow you to break free. Now, with obama back for another miserable 4, I hope you are looking at your options. Also, please feel free to respond with your synical, angry comments. I will probably not see them, as I am just bored and came across this site. I will be in OR at 0600 tomorrow and in scrubs....Imagine that!
    Pharma is a feakin joke. Trust me, I was there for 8 years and saw it turn into a joke. If you are young, maybe wearing a skirt or briefs, rock on. But, if you are worth a shit, and have any ambition, you will know when it is time to run, regardless of the coin. Good luck and good selling.

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Former pharma rep here (2 years), and in device (8 years) who is thinking long and hard about leaving this whole industry all together. I agree with some of your points, but don't think for a second this med device industry isn't going down hill real real fast. History repeats itself and in my humble opinion, med device is about 2-3 years from going off the cliff that pharma went off of several years back. The arms race has occurred in device and companies are laying off big time. Case volumes are way way down and many feet are on the street. It's supply and demand. There's an over supply of people on the street and demand is quite low, so expect growth expectations to remain unreasonably high in this environment, while companies look to shrink pay significantly, turning the avg med device job into a 120-130K a year job, with high end being 160-175K. The old days of 200K+ are over. Wait and see, it's happening now, and no doubt with new healthcare rules it's going to continue to happen. Always good to have a plan B in mind, so don't come across as being quite so cocky about being in device, it's really not all its' cracked up to be. You and I both know that. Most reps days are numbered.

16. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I agree, but #1, what does this have to do with wearing scrubs and #2, your days are really numbered if you are on CP at 9:30ish in the morning on a weekday IDIOT.

17. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Name calling? Really? You are a classy individual. My point is that you were in pharma for 8 years until you moved over to device, yet it seems as though you forgot where you came from coming across like device was SO much better than pharma and that you were looking down upon pharma reps. Again, don't forget where you came from, I know I never have. Again, 8 years device and I absolutely have called on physicians in their offices from time to time. Don't act like it's totally frowned upon. You have got to be one of those guys who shows up to your kid's soccer practice in scrubs. I guarantee it. As for being on CP at 9:30am on a Friday. I was hanging in the surgeon lounge between cases and came across your holier than though post, so thought I'd try and bring you back down to earth. The good old days are behind us, so just try and remain humble and don't act like device is the shit. It's not anymore. But in the mean time, good luck.

18. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Your pretty defensive for an OR rep. I have been in device, supplies/equip., pharma and again, device. Believe me, pharma was the best until it got saturated by idiots that knew nothing. It ruined the credibility of all. So, I have not forgotten where I have been. Hence, the no-suit rule..
    I wear soccer boots and uniform to my soccer practice as well as my games bro. Scrubs as well as suits after hours are for the used car folks.
    I will never wear a suit in the field because I do not want to be mistaken for a pharma rep.
    With that said, I have NEVER seen a Genzyme rep in the OR and frankly, have no idea what you all do. I am only in 7 hospitals and about 6 surg. centers so who knows. OR bus. is great here, I am sorry it is not in Appalatia.
    I like that you surf cafe pharma between cases. Shows that you are real busy. Of course, I do not know what kind of med devices you sell, but you obviously have all of your scrub techs trained well. LOL....This is kinda fun...what you got?

19. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I've always worn scrubs during my 4 year tenure. I've found scrubs to be most accessible whether for the ladies or not, I could always retreat to my car during those hot summer days and put my junk in a nice refreshing slurry. Works like a charm!

20. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Yes, when I make more than most GPs