What did a new rep make per year back in the 70's through 90's?

Discussion in 'Industry Veterans' started by Anonymous, Feb 12, 2006 at 11:28 PM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Re: What did a new rep make per year back in the 70\'s through 90\'s?

[ QUOTE ]
    Hi again folks:

Thank you for the very nice things you said about my notes on my career in the pharma industry starting with Knoll back in 1970. My name is Sam and I just wanted to respond to those of you that made the comments:

I am glad that I reminded you of your father who too worked in the industry. In all this time, I have come in contact with several family or generations in our industry. As a rule, the reps that followed their parents into the industry had a great mentor to help them get started. Also, if they worked the same territory as their parent, wow! How well they were received by the docs and staff that remembered their parents! That was awesome.

I am so sorry that the person that got a tax accountant turned Pharma. Mgr. who may not have treated you with common sense but with the company line instead... we all know those types. If you are interested in getting back with the pharma. industry, I certainly don't have all the answers but I do know how companies now treat their reps. and mgrs. especially the larger ones. It is really a tough job just trying to jump through all the hoops they set for you today. My suggestion would be to go to work for a smaller company and give them three years of quality service and make a name or good reputation for yourself and then try to jump to a Bio-Tech. company. They tend to pay even more than the normal pharma. companies and they always want good people with great track records. I know starting over at around 50-60 K is a slap in the face but at your age, the benefits are worth another 30K as well and that is so important!!! After a few years, if you are treated well, maybe your salary will climb up to a reasonable size and you may want to stay with them. I think we would all rather work for less money with good job security, less pressure and nice working conditions than to have a larger salary and not know from POA to POA if some person that never carried a bag in the field or learned to make a good working relationship with their docs all of a sudden doesn't like the way you made a presentation at a role play session at a meeting and the next thing you know you are on probation!!! Saw many of my friends have that happen to them! Consider all your options!

I enjoyed the comment about a DM not being able to lead a pack of hungry boy scouts across the street to McDonalds! Very funny! Through all this, you guys have wonderful senses of humor. I know it is very hard for you guys today and I truly wonder what happened to the days when the managers would mentor a new rep. who was trying very hard to do well? I thank the good Lord for having several great mentors that helped me through the years. In return, I felt a strong obligation to do the same thing for reps that worked for me, reps that I trained and for new reps that were in my District when I too was a rep. The larger companies do not leave much room for middle managers to use their own heads anymore. There is a direct pipe line of "stuff" that comes down from on high today and everyone including the managers have to "goose step" to those mandates, or else!

In order to survive in today's large companies, I would strongly suggest that all of you find a mentor that is well respected and ask him/her if they would help advise you with your efforts and decisions. Networking in this area is a big help. It can be anyone from a senior experienced rep in your own District to a Good Trainer, Manager or anyone that has a good grasp of the corporate culture at this time. One more thing in this department. Always give them more than they ask of you. I know it sounds crazy but it will build a lot of respect for you in the future and when they get used to you doing this, they will look at you differently.

I guess in closing this session, let me just say that the secret is to enjoy your job and do the very best you can, each and every day. We all have come through times when we had great managers and times when we had the worst of all possible mgrs. If you stay out of harms way by doing your very best, just know the bad ones come and go and all you have to do is wait and hopefully you will get a better one, next time. There is an old Indian saying that served me well through the years!!! It goes like this: "If you sit on the river bank long enough you will see the dead bodies of your enemies come floating by." Patience & Determination will serve you well. Good luck to all of you!
    Sam

[/ QUOTE ]
    Thanks for the post Sam. I have been in the industry since 1979 and I'm hoping to survive a few more years. I've been lucky to have good DMs for most of my career. It is funny when you mentioned women joining the industry. I remember Knoll hiring mostly female nurses in the early eighties, I believe they sold OB/GYN products.

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

[ QUOTE ]
    hired in 1991 for $37k right out of the military. Made $24k first year in bonus. Now I'm making just double that despite a couple of promotions, and the work load has increased 3 fold. Meetings used to be a blast, and never went to one my first 9 years without at least one afternoon set aside for golf, fishing, or something. Nowadays, we never do jack squat ... start early, stay late, have a crappy meal and get stuck 2 in a room (well, for another couple of years for me until I finally rate a private room and a RM level car ...). Oh, and I have to remember my "script" when my manager rides with me (I'm a senior hosp/spec rep)... and the manager rides with us every 10 days or so.

I honestly thought I'd be doing this my entire career, like a buddy in the company who took me under his wing when I started. He did 33 years in the company, and loved his career ... but they never screwed with him to the degree they are screwing with all of us now.

It's not personal, they're doing it to everyone, young and old, newbies and vets. I'm even having one of my best years ever, yet I'm still getting babysat more this year than in the previous 15 combined. I'll probably ride this year out for the money, but I've come to the conclusion that I need to look, and look HARD, now, before I'm too old to move on. I'm sure there's a smaller company, perhaps even a bio or device company, that will have me for similar money, maybe even more. I don't want to leave, and I'd be happy to work here until I can retire, but the BS level has just gotten out of control. Current management couldn't lead a pack of hungry boy scouts across the street to McDonald's.

This is going to be hard, but I just don't feel like I'm being given any choice. My DM and RM like me and rely on me a great deal, but they just don't give me any room to breathe. I'd had to know how they treat you when sales are in the crapper.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Have you ever said to these managers "Do you know that I have been doing this 15 years and that I work hard, do my job, get results?" I wonder what they would say. Maybe even phrase it as a statemnet to see what they respond and then ask why they feel compelled to hold your hand the whole way.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Sam:
    Thanks for that great reply! I am the vet with the accountant for a mgr. I am 50+ with at least 10 years to go. I currently work for a start -up company for the last 15 mopnths with a lower salary and no benefits. I sell a fifteen year old product and the company puts zero marketing dollars into it. Would love to network with you. I am in the northeast. My name is Rick. Are you retired or going to retire? I would certainly consider other sales avenues and am up for any suggestions. Take Care!

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

If you register, you can PM each other and send an email address.

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Sam: Thanks for the great post. I'm 34 and have been in the business for 7 years with the same co. I always enjoy bumping into the "old timers". You guys always have such great advice. I wish more folks my age would show a greater appreciation for those of your generation who may still be in the business. Some days I come home an wounder if I have even accomplish one thing. I make great money...yet feel some what unfullfilled. I wish I could have experienced this business when the rep mattered.
    Best of luck to you my friend.

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Sad to say most "senior" reps back in the day made alot more (in today's dollars) than any rep today. Easy math, 1 rep per territory in the 70-80s (no "speciality" or hospital reps either) versus 10-12 reps doing same job today, plus additional DMs/RMs etc.

Looking at salaries, bonus etc.. average pay has probably gone down in the last 5-10 years.

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Hi Rick:
    Yes, I have retired from the Pharma. Business and now living in Florida. At this time, I am taking a Real Estate course and plan to sell houses and properties in the near future. I have the time to study and go about learning the business without feeling pressure of having to have a job at this time. I am looking forward to this new venture. If you would like to contact me, you can via my e-mail: sgeorge778@aol.com

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Started in 1984 @ $19,500. Total commission check for MY efforts was $5000 for about 1/2 year. The longer I was in my territory, the better it was to sell. The relationship thing really paid off. MDs considered reps as friends, but I don't think too many do now. I thought I made good money, but not compared to men in my company. HOwever, I saved more and lived below my means and am quite happy now. I was happy to know that it was my efforts in my territory that paid off and didn't have to worry about podmates, etc. Have no regrets whatsoever about helping improve the quality of people's lives. I still enjoy the job, but not the busy, useless paperwork.

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I went to the Premarin launch right after being hired, and I remember we were each given a pony at the end of the meeting.............

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

[ QUOTE ]
    I went to the Premarin launch right after being hired, and I remember we were each given a pony at the end of the meeting.............

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, but was the pony pregnant?? As a former Wyeth rep, that is damned funny!!!!

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

1981 @ $18K/yr + 4.5K bonus, drove a 1980 Cougar XR7 w/ V-8 engine, no computer, voice mail, much more fun and was not micro-managed.

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

[ QUOTE ]
    1981 @ $18K/yr + 4.5K bonus, drove a 1980 Cougar XR7 w/ V-8 engine, no computer, voice mail, much more fun and was not micro-managed.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Classy!
    http://www.coolcats.net/welcome/images/80cougarxr7.jpg

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Wow. What a great thread. The industry WAS better then. I started in 1972 at $8700 a year plus a minimal bonus. Drove a HUGE Galaxie 500 with drum brakes (It took both feet to stop it!!). I spent 33+ years with this same company and retired at the end of 2005 with a base of $122,500. Made more money at the end but certainly enjoyed it far less. We were truly consultants to our docs then, developed solid relationships and EARNED our products's use.
    Good luck to all in the the industry in the future !!

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

[ QUOTE ]
    Wow. What a great thread. The industry WAS better then. I started in 1972 at $8700 a year plus a minimal bonus. Drove a HUGE Galaxie 500 with drum brakes (It took both feet to stop it!!). I spent 33+ years with this same company and retired at the end of 2005 with a base of $122,500. Made more money at the end but certainly enjoyed it far less. We were truly consultants to our docs then, developed solid relationships and EARNED our products's use.
    Good luck to all in the the industry in the future !!

[/ QUOTE ]
    http://www.cars-on-line.com/15000/71ford15023-A.jpg

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Yes, that picture looks exactly like my 71 Galaxie with the drum brakes. Mine was a two door like the picture but was brown and there was no snow in California.

16. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

[ QUOTE ]
    Hired in 1973 for 10,600, was making 7700 at National Biscuit Research. First car 1973 Ford Torino with a 350 V-8. Also received a meal allowance of $4.00/day which was payable via Travelletter. My territory was all of Queens with the yellow pages as my only tool. It was a fun time, now I have 48 days to retirement.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Did the Torino have a white stripe?
    http://www.martiniboys.com/files/190/73tor.jpg

17. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Started 1992 Oncology rep Bristol Myers $34,500.
    That's $46,700 in 2005 dollars.

This is a link to an inflation calculator----
    http://www.westegg.com/inflation/

No laptops, all call notes handwritten in a notebook.
    Only rep in the territory which literally covered half the state of Texas. Whew!

I loved it then but yes it was different just like everyone has said previously. Nicer meetings, more results focused, etc.

18. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

[ QUOTE ]
    Sam: Thanks for the great post. I'm 34 and have been in the business for 7 years with the same co. I always enjoy bumping into the "old timers". You guys always have such great advice. I wish more folks my age would show a greater appreciation for those of your generation who may still be in the business. Some days I come home an wounder if I have even accomplish one thing. I make great money...yet feel some what unfullfilled. I wish I could have experienced this business when the rep mattered.
    Best of luck to you my friend.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Hell, 34 is an old timer now.

19. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I started at 25,500 in 1991. In 2001 I was a DM at 85000. Now in 2006 I am a hospital rep in ICU at 105000.

20. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Don't know about the 70s, in 1989 I was hired for 24 k. Mad about 15k in bounus. In 1997 I broke 100k for the first time in total comp. Best year I made 140k. Around 1998. The way to jump $$$ is switch companies.