what is it like to work here

Discussion in 'Pathway Genomics' started by Anonymous, May 29, 2014 at 5:30 PM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Can anyone tell me the pros and cons of working here. I was contacted by a recruiter for this role. Good money and small territory... Way better than where I am. But I have heard mixed things...

Thanks

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

See: "Laboratory/Diagnostic Sales General Discussion". There is a thread for Pathway Genomics.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Let me tell you, out of the last training class in November 2013 approximately 75% of us are gone.
    If you listen to Todd, he will say they are gone because they were not honest, hard working, or did something wrong. The truth is this company is a revolving door, just about all the upper Regional people are young (under 33 years old) and have been there less than 1 year.
    If you kiss their ass, get a few doctors on board and show the numbers they like you. If you are independent, and cannot look beyond their disorganization they will have no use for your. Pathway Genomics is a boiler room, they want fast money on the books ASAP, they are not interested in you building long term relationships because they hired you because you convinced them you had great relationships that they are wanting to exploit.

If you need a job, this is good money ....in the beginning. Great base, reimbursement, however they start to change this on you with making you a commission only sales rep and are only interested in fast money on the books. They are not trying to build a long lasting sales team. So with that said, if you need it - take it and remember to continue looking.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

BTW their tests are "predictive" and have no use in most physicians offices. if you get buy in from 3 good doctors they can make your number for you so Todd can do his IPO thing.

They were suppose to get the Breast Cancer BRCA I and II test, this month. Good Luck with that one, the clients who use this test are currently locked in with other labs and unlikely to switch.

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

TODD HAS RECENTLY LEFT PATHWAY GENOMICS FOR ANOTHER COMPANY.

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Where??

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

So, can anybody give any good reason to come to work here. Wondering if these posts are the true representation of the company, if so why would anyone want to work here unless unemployed. I just hope somebody has something good to say. And if Todd has in fact left will that make things better or worse?

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Todd took a CEO job so that was a huge promotion to him. It was nothing against pathway. BRCA is now being solid by pathway, so the other poster was wrong. The poster said good luck with getting brca. Thanks for the good luck wishes because as promised pathway has it now. Don't listen to people complaining. They are just the ones that got fired for not producing.

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

So you were wrong about all of this. Are you going to come in and apologize to everyone you joke.

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

So if you are lucky enough to get hired, work hard, work smart and good things will come? I don't put much faith in CP, but whoever this is posting all of the negative stuff was beginning to make me a little concerned that I was reading the opportunity all wrong. Thanks for an insightful, yet not overly "fluffy" post.

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Todd is being replaced by someone who has been there less that 2 months. Him leaving may have something to do with the culture, and the sales force. But the vision is from the board and Jim Plante.

Its unsure if the Board is going to find a replacement for Todd or keep Ardy. We will see what the next shuffling of people brings.

Too bad about Pathway Genomics not being able to promote Todd so he had to move onto
    greener pastures.

Ask about the turnover at Pathway Genomics, and if your position is an "expansion" or replacement position. They have had some territories with 2-3 people in them already and none do better than the previous sales person. Additionally ask for the percentage of the Salesforce that is actually making their number, how many are at 70%?

Additionally ask how often they change the comp plan and if the hefty base salary will turn to commission only after the first year.

BRCA I and II is not a new novel test, it is being conducted by many companies including Myriad Genetics. PG is taking a marking approach with hooking up with Susan G. Komen and is paying back "donations" (or kickbacks) based on the tests sold in. Gearing up with new reps to sell it is a gamble but Pathway Genomics has only one thing on their mind and that is growth so they can go IPO (But they have been saying this for awhile) Understandable why there would be a few bitchy remarks from the peanut gallery because a lot hinges on this test moving the company forward - or not.

Slightly less expensive, may sway some physicians over, may not - we will see in 6 months with then next wave of employees comes shuffling through the doors.

Sounds like the "girls" that run the place are in damage control and trying to protect the tarnish image of Pathway Genomics. Their posts are obvious, defensive, snarky and plain rude unprofessionals.

Pathway Genomics has a young staff, and not much senority. You work hard and smart and get a few doctors to buy in you might make your number. It's more about relationships with your doctors than selling some great novel idea. Some will buy in some will laugh and not see the value of a "predictive" test

DNA testing is a new frontier, Myriad and others have had some successes. Pathway was late to the table so they can analyze what works and what doesn't. You should do yourself a favor and ask a few Clinics and physicians you know what their thoughts are on DNA testing and if a test that "suggests" specific diet, etc., would be of benefit to their practice and would they order? What is their thoughts on DNA Testing?

Ask a lot of questions before walking into this.

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

It is not just a simple matter of being able to produce numbers by the sales force in a short time or poor management (with or without Todd), the tests PG is offering, in general (not including the oncology testing, too soon to tell) are not predictive and not very helpful for for determining treatment decisions (low risk versus high risk is not what the doctors are looking for). It is not much better than a ouija board, that is why the doctors are so hesitant to order and why insurance is offering little if any reimbursement for claims submitted by PG.
    This is a company that has gone through a lot of good people who had proven sales successes but got stuck with stuck selling something that is not applicable (yet). Until they can attached a diagnosis to the gene mutation and offer the doctor something definitive I would suggest looking for another company like Ambry or Mayo.

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Great insight and spoken very professionally and sincerely. I hope you don't get ripped apart by the psycho manager that comes on here spewing venom.

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

The commission structure is set up so reps fail. There are reps that have been here for 2-5 years that are going to be very upset when they don't hit their numbers this quarter with the new commission plan. There are reps that have been here for less than a year that are just starting to break out during a time where the new commission plan does not allow them to succeed. The numbers you have to hit after 6 months are just not sustainable and unrealistic. There are bottom feeders that make a nice base that need to be weeded out which is why they probably changed the commission plan in the first place but don't punish the good reps that are working hard and actually trying to make it happen. My suggestion is do a better job hiring and reward the people that are working hard. Its going to cost the company more money to hire new people when great people are leaving due to this joke of a commission plan. I am a good rep that is working very hard to make more than my base so please don't come on here and bash the truth behind what I am saying.

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Great place to work. I just started a month ago and sold 30 tests. I love my manager and am thankful to work here. I seriously do not see how people did not do well over here and bash the company. But they have hired over 80 people in the past year so if 5 are complaining, that is not bad. I left Myriad along with many others, so I know their percentage is a lot worse. The negative people kill me as they will always be that way and regardless where they end up, they will be back on cp complaining about their next job.

16. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Sorry, but I'm calling BS on this one. Sounds like a PR or Damage Control post. Really? 30 days of total bliss?

17. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

LOL, kind of like the cheesy marketing of spinning the Myriad lawsuit as fighting for the rights of women. I like that one. But this one is FUNNY Laugh out loud FUNNY.

18. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

The commission structure after you have been on board a few months changes, and it varies from territory to territory. I have heard that a few were put on a straight commission without a base. I am not afraid of an aggressive goal and low base/high commission but it is as you say not reasonable and that is why GOOD reps are leaving or being helped out the door or in manager talk is "being managed out"

You are a voice of reason, watch the hatchet manager return and start correcting your grammar and avoid the content. Ah transparency gotta love it.

19. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Name three reps who have been on board for five years. Name three reps who have been on board 2 years. You can't.

I apologize in advance for pulling the curtain back and exposing the Wizard of OZ but if you understand genetics at all, what you are promoting is a consumer product with the gravitas of someone more like Dr. Oz than a serious geneticist.

The reason you are promoting this to primary care is that anyone who knows anything about genetics would kick you out of their clinic if you presented what PG is offering (the sweet gene, HA!).

Insurance is going to kick back on anything that is preventative and not diagnostic and the chances of trying to prior auth this kind of "testing" will be slim to none not to mention getting paid on any claims.

As I said before, I apologize for my comments, but you need to get away from this organization quickly before you permanently disqualify yourself from any other opportunities in the genetics industry.

The word is out about PG and it is not good.

Ask yourself, if Todd was so excited about PG why is he in Colorado now. It can't be the beautiful beaches. Not a step up in the world, he was just trying not to step in anything he couldn't wipe off.

20. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Haha. All of these psycho rants about pg being such a terrible place to work and it's all coming from someone who begged for a job at pg. Now since you were laid off for not doing anything pg is at fault. You continue to be broke and search for a job while we all make money and work in one of the best cultures out there. Go find yourself a recruiter unless you burned those bridges too.