What is to become of Doryx?

Discussion in 'Warner Chilcott' started by Anonymous, Jul 13, 2011 at 8:13 AM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Hey Mr./Mrs. Pharm. I'm on your side. WC is a complete fraud of an organization. If you're filling rx's keep in mind that you can legally switch, along with all Doryx rx's, every Loestrin 24, Atelvia, LoLoestrin, Ovcon 35 & 50, and Sarafem to generic equiv's. Also, encourage any patient that presents with a script for Estrace Cream that Premarin Cream is a better option. Just bombard the Providers with negative calls on these scripts and they will eventually stop writing all together to avoid those calls. Please do this to them. Screw those crooks who were trying to screw you and many others.

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

One of the most common adverse events associated with standard doxycycline formulations is gastro- intestinal upset which is not considered a serious AE, but can significantly diminish patient compliance and thus compromise therapeutic outcomes. Historic data suggest that the incidence of nausea and vomiting associated with doxycycline can be up to threefold higher than that reported with other antibiotics. Experience of nausea and vomiting contributes to patient discontinuation of therapy or non-adherence with prescribed dosing and thus suboptimal therapeutic outcomes. Furthermore, due to concerns about impaired absorption of drug from standard formulations, patients prescribed these formulations are often advised to avoid taking medication with food. By requiring the patient to modify their daily routine, such limitations can also negatively impact adherence.

When dermatologists were surveyed about their perceptions of teenage patient adherence in oral antibiotic therapy, almost half said that GI side effects were the most significant contributor to nonadherence. Twice-a-day dosing was the second most frequently cited factor. Another survey of dermatologists revealed that the vast majority believe that oncedaily dosing is more likely to encourage adherence among adolescent acne patients than is twice-a-day dosing.

Enteric-coating of drugs emerged in the middle part of the last century as a method to improve the tolerability of oral drugs. Enteric coating protects a drug from the acidic pH of the stomach, delaying release until the drug reaches the more alkaline small intestine. This reduces the rate of nausea and vomiting and also protects the stomach from exposure to potentially harmful drugs (such as in the case of aspirin). In addition to these protective effects, enteric coating can be employed as a method for delayed release or controlled release of a drug, as well.

A unique formulation of entericcoated doxycycline hyclate pellets in a pressed powder tablet (Doryx, Warner-Chilcott) has been linked to a decrease in GI side effects. Available in 50mg, 75mg, and 150mg dosage strengths, Doryx tablets can be cut or crushed without diminishing their therapeutic efficacy or the GI tolerability of doxycycline. This is made possible by the fact that the individual doxycycline pellets—not the finished tablet—are enteric-coated.

Worth 20 dollars YES, 100 dollars NO

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

"Linked" show me a study? Oh, and Doryx is not even indicated for acne in the PI

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

"Linked" show me a study? Oh, and Doryx is not even indicated for acne in the PI

Right, the FDA required no studies prior to Doryx approval and I assume you also now questions generic doxy effect on acne.

Get over yourself, we just added an enteric coating to doxy and it has MUCH less GI side effects. That is worth 20 bucks if you get sick on the generic.

Game over.

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

1st job out of college new reps are funny little buggers. They just love to hype themselves by typing out a detail. How cute they are.

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

In what study are you refering to that states: "MUCH less"? Considering that is such a common pharse used in most clinical studies.

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

PharmD dad back here.

I'd go with 20 bucks for the once daily convenience. But thats assuming someone had GI problems with generic doxy first and tried QD mino already.

This derm is practicing badly. I'll have to ask her in what other ways is she ripping me off?

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Yes try the generic first, unless the doctor knows you have a history of GI issues

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

F-you pill counter!

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I was able to get in and talk to the derm. I dont think she'll ever be using Doryx first line again..or Solodyn either. I showed her a nice blog post from someone I know - stating Doryx was the #1 drug in the 'hall of shame' and Solodyn was #2. Hilarious.

http://www.theredheadedpharmacist.com/?p=1098

Someone is going to get a dent in their IC next quarter.

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

What about your 'IC' package, Mr. Pharmacist?

Switching any prescription to generic without any consideration or consultation with the patient or the physician is a truly noble way to get dollars and/or a trip. Saving the patient money you say, BS! You are lining your own...and Walgreen's pockets.

Maybe its not you, but your profession and colleagues have NOTHING to be proud of when they universally and without discretion just switch to generic without even looking at the insurance coverage, cost difference (if there is one, or much of one), understanding the medical situation or the patient's preference.

Maybe the physician rightfully assumes you'll do your f#cking job correctly and assumes that you'll look at insurance and cost, consult with the patient and IF it makes sense, SUGGEST a generic alternative rather than burden a patient w/o coverage the cost of one of these drugs. Then call and check the doc's ofc to see if its acceptable...and you know it will be. Is that too hard? Too time consuming? You gotta get back to checking your stock portfolio while the high-schoolers up from do all the dirty work for you?

No, screw that , just switch it to the highest profit alternative and dont ask questions because the regional manager, (who has never worked in a pharmacy in his life, but can read a profit & loss statement like a champ) says so...or else.

Sleep well, you pompous, morally superior, head in the sand douchebag. You have changed the world today by getting one dermatologist to lie to you. GFY.

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Guess I'm the last idiot to buy brand name Doryx. Still not sure if I'd use the XR generic over the regular BID stuff. Not much advantage. You wash your face in the AM and PM, just take a tablet then. No real compliance issues.

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

This thread is the worst representation of 3 careers I have ever seen and the dermatologist didn't even have a voice in it.
    Pharmacist- you should hang your head in disgrace for stooping to such a level. Don't throw the PharmD title around if after 4 years of professional school you still resort to asking an Internet blog questions about you daughter's medication. I know you we're taught better than that.
    Drug rep- and I pray you are not, but you fail even as a human being. Unprofessional, ignorant and classless are not characteristics associated with healthcare. That you claim to know more than anyone in associated in healthcare tells me you are not someone whose career is made in being professional. If you are, in fact, a drug rep, then congratulations on single handedly doing more to bring down big pharma than Thalidomide. If you don't know the value or power of a pharmacist over your job, you are dumber than your "f-you pill counter" retorts. You sound like an entitled child of a physician, most likely not culturally trained in the multidisciplinary approach and evidence based medicine practices currently accepted as standard of care. Your dad is looked at like a god in the homeland and treated as such. Mom is a doctor or helps dad out at the office on the payroll and the closest you could get to making daddy love you was to take a drug rep job he landed you with his tie-ins from CME lectures at the local steakhouse. Chill out and accept that some drugs are just out there squeeze a dollar from anyone who buys in. If they find a large enough niche, good on them. Doesn't hurt to try.
    Dermatologist- sorry you didn't have a voice but I'd bet, like most reasonable members of the healthcare community, you couldn't care less what these jerk-offs had to say.
    Now go ahead a trash me, I'm not gonna be back to see it, so it doesn't exist. See how that works?

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

OMG! What a horrible product to promote. Really?

Well, I guess if you can sell this you can sell anything and use it on your resume to get ahead at some other company. What a dog drug. This makes "me too" drugs look like pharmaceutical leaps and bounds!

I don't understand how you can look someone in the face and convince them to use this overpriced doxycylcine.

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

As much as I agree with the PharmD who posted before (and I'm not a PharmD myself, just a lowly RPh) about the worthlessness of this overpriced ripoff of a drug, I have to ask: has anybody checked the price of generic immediate-release doxy lately?

I used to pay $27.23 for a bottle of 500 tablets. Now it's $1,620.00 for the cheapest manufacturer available. That's what, 60 times the price it used to be.

I guess they do it for the same reason the dog licks himself: "because they can, son."

16. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

yes, my generic doxy went from 10.00 a month to 76.00 a month this year.

somebody is manipulating the generic prices because they know these brand name drugs like doryx and oracea have been seen through by consumers and consurmers are demanding generic instead of incredibly overpriced, repackaged, overhyped "new" formulations of old drugs.

and doctors? they are nothing more than front men for big pharma in many instances

17. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

No one cares...shut up.

18. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

3 years back I took the generic of Doryx and it DID NOT work at all...
    I then went on the 150mg of Doryx (brand) for 2 months and it 100% totally cleared up my acne!!!!
    After 3 years of perfectly clear skin... I need to go back on an acne medication
    I want to go back on Doryx because it worked so well... Just super bummed that the price is so high now... I'm trying hard to find a patient savings card but the company says it doesn't have anymore # to give out... if anyone has any Ideas how to get a hold of a savings card for the Brand Doryx... that would be great.... don't want to on the generic because I know 1st hand that it doesn't work.

19. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

3 years back I took the generic of Doryx and it DID NOT work at all...
    I then went on the 150mg of Doryx (brand) for 2 months and it 100% totally cleared up my acne!!!!
    After 3 years of perfectly clear skin... I need to go back on an acne medication
    I want to go back on Doryx because it worked so well... Just super bummed that the price is so high now... I'm trying hard to find a patient savings card but the company says it doesn't have anymore # to give out... if anyone has any Ideas how to get a hold of a savings card for the Brand Doryx... that would be great.... don't want to go on the generic because I know 1st hand that it doesn't work.