What places will you no longer go, now that you are out of pharma

Discussion in 'Industry Veterans' started by Anonymous, Feb 23, 2012 at 8:06 PM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I will NOT step foot in a Panera. I tried 1x/2x's but nothing was appetizing and I had flashbacks for days. I just can't. So where can you NOT go now because of the dehumanizing memories from your pharma career?

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

STARBUCKS.

That has to be number one, if you took a poll.

Looking back, I can't believe that I stayed so long in this industry and failed to see it for what it really is, a mind game.

But, many jobs are similiar, aren't they?

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Yeh, all JOBS are a game.Whenever you work for someone else, I guess it has to be.

1. panera
    2.starbucks

Any others? How does it affect you to be in a Dr.s waiting room? Get the heebeegeebees? I am horrible, just horrible at waiting or feeling rushed by a Dr. If they do that crap to me as a paying patient, I fire them and NEXT. I just cannot be belittled now that it's over. I will fire you and let you know why, when I pull my chart for the next Dr, I am extremely disloyal to physicians now and I find that I do NOT want a relationship with my Dr. I know, I'm scarred for life now, sigh.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

1) Edible Arrangements

2) Boston Market

3) Marie Calendars

4) Any deli that prepares meat trays

5) Doctors office or pharmacy

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Do you/ Did you people really let this job affect and creep into your personal life that much??? Wow! I seriously never once had any negative feeling while waiting for a doctor in a waiting room or eating at a frequently used caterer. I find it bizarre that this fairly simple and mundane job has had that much of a negative effect on you. That is weird. Seriously? Going into a pharmacy to pick up vitamins or a prescription gives you the heebeegeebees?

Phrama must be filled with the thinnest skinned weakest sales people of any industry!!!

Let me guess most of you are women right?

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I know I will probably never stay at another Ritz-Carlton. I know that I will never eat at Spago's again. I know that I will never fly first class to London, with my wife, for free. I know that The Plaza is out. And the Beverly-Hilton is out. And I probably won't be going on many more chartered sailboat rides in the San Diego Bay. Las Vegas Palms is also history. If I get to Paris again, it will have to be on my own dime. Same with Hawaii.

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

will miss... Charlies Steak House, Tampa

Shula's Steak House (best Seafood app platter ever...), Tampa

Tour Boat rides around Long Boat Key, Fl

Amelia Island, FL

Vanderbuilt Mansion, Ashville, NC

Deep Sea Fishing, St. Augustine, FL

the list goes on and on...

also...wont miss Panera, Chilies, cheaper hotels at the end of pharma fame..
    roll playing, classroom weekly conference calls, cracker barrel, long dissertations in company car by an idiot dm at the end of field travels...

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

long dissertations...

so many times I felt like a first grade student who was about to get told to sit in the corner, but that would be unfair to the first grade student. pharma is much worse.

And those that disagree are probably those cheerleaders that are so beautiful, that there manager just treats them with kid gloves, with the hope that this hot rep will put out for them someday.

Its a sick industry on so many level (the products are very flawed with fake science, upper management that does nothing but get paid well, field managers that are clueless, doctors that are kool aid drinkers), and I could go on and on.

The annual reviews were just too humiliation, and I almost walked out of a few, but always kept my composure, thank you very much!

For those of you wanting to get in, forget it. Save your dignity and find a real sales job, with real people. Not the hot cheerleaders and soft men that can't sell, but think they are actually good at sales. Never learned much in this industry, except how to be more political and how to be a faker. Thank God that I am still in my 30s, and can make the switch.

For those of you in your 40s and up, its not too late. It never is to late to start over with a real sales job.

Good luck!

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

very well stated!!

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Let me guess, you're a 'Ken' who squirmed your way into the industry, early to mid 30s at the most and roll playing for certifications makes you sweat bullets.

Naw, Im a rep who breathed this industry and thrived in a time of ownership, single territories and accountability. Im a rep that saw that diminish as tenured managers were put to pasture and creeps like you graduated from college and were crowned DM as if you did something greater than...graduate from college. Im the rep that had to teach YOU how to role play/ objective handle/ limited option close/ full option close/ objection close and turn a No into a Yes because of my tenure and experience qualities that you 'just don't get' because your longest training was for 2 weeks on product knowledge.

Im a rep that cared and had to suffer sitting in a Panera Bread or a Starbucks with the likes of you as you lined me up with insecure 'pod' mates that whined about what being a team player means and while crying that it's not fare that I have more scripts than them when they work my territory all the time. Sigh.

But, no worries. I will never care that much about a 'job' ever again. Wish I could be more like you-NOT!

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

my favorite as a rep that was in the field for 3 years, and then was promoted to DM, and then 4 years later, Regional manager.

This was with a major corporation!

An early 30 something as a regional manager!

This is why pharma just tanked.

It is no longer about selling. The higher ups think anyone can run the territory, and think managed care runs the show. Just stick any fool in there.

I am all done with it. No I have to adjust my resume and use my competitive nature, and good looks, and toughness in the interview, because NONE of my selling skills are relevant in other sales jobs. Its a joke. Companies outside of pharma do value the polish look, the intelligence, but they want salespeople. Well, I can sell my ass off, but I choose pharma because the money was good. Now, I am taking a pay cut, but will be well off in about two years, with a job, with less micromanagement and true selling skills and development as a professional and as a person.

People, the ship sank when Mr. Change took office. This week was a terrible week for the entire industry, with the Supreme Court ruling. Now, some politicans are calling for all doctors to be controlled by the governement.

In other words, wake up! If you want to make money in selling and be treated like an adult, get into something besides pharma. Something with no so many regulations!

Good luck to all of you.

youngsters, do yourself a favor and do not get into this industry. you will find the people to be lacking character (back stabbers are rampant), you will not develop professionally, and you will be a has been in your mid 30s to mid 40s. In other industries, people over 40 make the most money and are treated with the most respect. not in pharma.

Just can't make this stuff up.

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

spot on analysis...Pharma is dead...

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Well you must be one of the many misogynist posters on the general discussion board.

I've never posted on this thread but read some of the earlier posts. I don't work for pharma or any other sales industry. Although at one time I did.

My impression is that most pharma reps. (male and female) are frustrated with their jobs as they've turned into caterers. Practitioners are not interested in lunches or dinner but getting accurate information. Most practitioners prefer older reps. b/c they bring experience to the table and are a wealth of knowledge.

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

The problem with the job is that it is a high paying, political type job, for people with no character.

So, you have managers who are clueless. Reps that have no spine. So, the pod system is not even focused on results, but backstabbing.

If you want sales, get into food sales, where you deal with real results and real people.

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

In many ways, pharma sales is like having a political office.

you just can't get around that.

Most jobs are not like that. Sales is NEVER supposed to be about politics.

Sales should be about RESULTS.

Leave this job to the cheerleaders and weak men, is what I say. Real men and smart women have moved on. I just like to come here from time to time and drop some knowledge of those of you that are confused, and have given up hope.

This job is not a good one, unless you can play that game, and not let it impact your soul.

16. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Oh so very true. The remaining reps that I have had contact with are about as heartless and smarmy as you can find. They spend the majority of conversation self-promoting themselves or some form a preconceived success they brought to the table.

The land or the weak and lost souls.

17. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

What really irks me is when you converse with those that somehow managed to stay with one company for many years or have never been downsized...

these morons actually think they have not had misfortune in their careers because they were so talented!

Just can't make this stuff up.

Here is a story that always makes me laugh: it was at a lunch at a big pharma company a few years back. Anyway, one of the higher ups is talking about one of his buddies who was just let go after spending over 30 years with the company. His buddy was downsized, and I am 100 percent sure that this guy got close to a 1 million dollar payout. So, its was funny that he made the comment about his friend, saying "he is not bitter about it at all"...

well, pharma genius, if you got a payout in the neighborhood of that money and you have the luck of having over 30 years with one company, making great money and getting promoted, why would you be bitter?

These people in pharma are so shallow and are not talented either.

18. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I have a handful of friends and some DMs that have somehow made it through the gauntlet.
    There are a couple that I worked with at length and are complete morons. The worst DM I had when I started is still with a major oncology company in senior leadership. I just shake my head and smile. They still have a strong perception that they are "special". Say "lay off or PIP and they turn ash white. However, give them a minute and they will tell you all about the 6 figure salary and 18 hour work weeks. Oddly, some are still making huge money and not working at all.

The killer is when you interview and get to the VP. It is always a self-important, self-involved human being wearing a nice suit and pretending to be important. I have worked in other industries and the VPs were brilliant Ivy League types. Not, a guy in fancy suit.

The odd part is they talk about selling. I have been in sales. It is a brutal existence. Sorry, but pharma is not sales it is power marketing and public relations. Companies approach the job like you are standing with a cardiologist in cath lab at 5:00 AM supporting a case. Come on. You drive around all day in fleet car delivering samples and goodies. No more-no less.

The sad part is that many good people tied their lives to the industry and are now suffering.
    Look through linkedin and see were the long-term dislocated reps are and its not pretty.

Attempt to network with a currently employed rep. You will have better success with neighbors and other industries. They are intact, human and actually care.

Not surprisingly. Some of the people that thought they were the big cheese are now sitting home refreshing career builder every two hours.

I am out and now making it, but I look back and recognize it was like working for Ponzi scheme.

Pharma is seen in similar light of the mortgage industry. Ouch.

19. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

you nailed it.

The money is what sucks people in, and that is a nice carrot. But, after awhile, you are left with co-workers that are clueless and not much of a skill set to do other things. Bottom line, is find something where you are going to develop as a professional.

As for the upper management you described, it is incredible that these people got to their positions, and you can see how the corporate culture has turned them into ZOMBIES. What a shame to see people have to act this way into their 40s, 50s, and even 60s, always looking to protect their "great jobs with great pay and great benefits", at the cost of losing their individuality.

20. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I finally quit in my early 50s, well short of retirement...Hit a wall with the whole thing and could not take one more day of it...

Finding out now the reality that I already knew...No one will hire a 50 something career drug rep...you either need to create your next job, or get lucky with someone that owes you a favor, or RADICALLY downsize your lifestyle...(Or all of the above.)

Truly an industry of idiots and buffoons...Far far from the elegant, educated place it once was in the 70s and 80s...