What's up with Memphis division

Discussion in 'Bayer' started by Anonymous, Jan 11, 2015 at 4:39 PM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Is it the July 1st the gates will be closed? Most third floor folks were offered jobs in Indiana. We all knowit is economically not feasible to operate such a big facility for hundred fifty folks. What happens to R&D, IT and wear house team?

Any comments?

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I am an IT recruiter from Mid-south / Louisiana area. I have got all Merck-Bayer resumes. Only issue with these people is their asking salaries. They are all way high. I told some of them up front that no employer in Memphis can pay that high. With that expectations they should work somewhere in West coast or in New Jersey.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

It's confirmed. My aunt works with c-level executives down at New York. Management was asked to leave subtle messages about July 1st date without pressing panic button until they post the official notification. Also Bayer internally posting jobs going to be replaced in Memphis. Catch is anyone can apply .

When you come to a fork in the road, Take it.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Ex Memphis Merck (and SGP) here, got out last fall just before Bayer took over. Still in the non-prescription biz myself, so I keep a pulse over there through friends. Grain of salt if you need to.

Distribution will be gone July 2015. 50 or so jobs lost. Bayer will fold it into current and I hear 2 new distribution facilities in Vegas, Atlanta, and Pennsylvania. The Memphis distribution facility needed many many millions in upgrades, and the others were better located anyway.

Logistics jobs (about 50) will be moving to Whippany. Not sure about compliants, alot of that is done by 3rd party anyway.

R&D Memphis will no longer do OTC medicines, just Coppertone and Dr. Scholl. NJ labs get OTC brands. OTC was about 50% of the work so the staff will be paired down accordingly, from 80 to about 50 or so. Will start posting remaining R&D jobs in March - mostly management jobs to handle work done at sub contractors.

What's going on is Bayer wanted the OTC brands to keep and market (and develop?) but had to take the sunscreen and foot lines too. They're whittling down the sun and foot operations so they can sell those brands off in a couple of years. Then the Memphis site will be finally closed.

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

R&D positions were posted Monday. Any idea what to expect in terms of hiring process and timelines ( how long before you know if you are selected to fill one of those open positions in NJ). what will happen to those that wont be able to get a job at Bayer in NJ?

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

You can get the process from the integration site FAQs. Basically you will know if you have the job or not within 2 weeks of applying.

If you don't get a job in NJ? If you have "participated" in the process, you will get 60 day notice that your current job will end, and then you get severance - legacy Merck is a good severance, legacy Bayer very poor.

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Clueless!

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

bayer could be in favor of bayer employees over Ex Merck. I hope the hiring will be fair and transparent.

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Oh its transparent alright. See right through the facade.

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

To the OP, who on the third floor were offered jobs in Indiana? It wasn't Supply Chain personnel. We are all still in the dark, except we see the writing on the wall. Jobs aren't being posted in Memphis, but the same jobs are posted in NJ. Love they said they would be transparent.. Haha. They only came out and told us about the DC because word was spreading on the Bayer side as if it was already known. Just give me my severance.

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Amen!

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Not the OP, but the Indiana thing is BS. There is no IN Bayer facility.

Supply chain to NJ. Stacy wants to go there anyway.

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Its no so much ex-Merck vs. Bayer, as it is whoever the hiring manager wants. That's who 1) writes the job description and 2) makes the final decision on who is selected. It is sickening to see the brown noser suck ups cozy up to their bosses extra close lately, buts that's how the game goes. For all the really talented people (and there are many in Memphis) who aren't a teacher's pet, just be glad to hang loose a few more months, network outside like crazy and line something up, get your severance and move on. Let the sycophants go down with ship in about 2 years when Bayer finally pulls the plug on ol' 3030.

Remember, getting a "Merck" severance in 2015 is going to be a whole lot better than a Bayer severance in 2017.

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Well said. Give me my freakin severance. Sick and tired of the waiting game. Come on Bayer pull the trigger !

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Chill out buddy! Take the free ride till the end; Anyway you made up your mind!

16. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Any one feeling optimistic about the interviews?

17. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Yes, I'm optimistic it will lead to a nice severance payment.

18. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Oh yea!! It is obvious what Bayer is doing. Prepare people, severance package is on the way..

19. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

CS People were told today - 60 jobs gone from Memphis as of mid-year.

20. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Acting busy, lost interest. None of us have motivation anymore. I don't blame Bayer for shutting down this sucker in the middle of the ghetto. Family is not interested in leaving Memphis until my high school teen's graduation in next year. Interviewing almost every day just like my colleagues. Hope I can time my new job with my severance.