When did we become caterers? Government Please Ban lunches!

Discussion in 'Pharma/Biotech Comp - Gen Discussion |Pharma Sales' started by anonymous, Jun 25, 2019 at 1:08 PM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. anonymous

anonymous Guest

I have an MBA and I’m schlepping around Starbucks and Panera like a well dressed caterer for these unappreciative offices. These offices know exactly how to play reps. Some will even give you their office list for Starbucks. They sit on their asses all day demanding to be fed as only way to see doc who is equally sick of these lunches. How is this not a kickback? Breakfasts, snacks, lunches?? Unbeknownst to me I was called to see if I could do a last minute lunch (office assumed I had bigger budget) and I made arrangements to do it and I arrived and I was providing food for some MA’s birthday and told I didn’t have to stay? I mean WTF is wrong with this system? We have to do lunches to show “activity in the field” and it’s bullshit.

2. anonymous

anonymous Guest

I second this! Lunches and doughnut runs suck! And what about these speaker programs? Another waste! Problem is companies are paying docs to speak on their drug when these docs/speakers are speaking for 5 plus other companies, mostly all competitors. The only attendees 80% of time I’d the office staff sent there by doc and they spend time on their phone facebooking how bored they are, so embarrassing.
    How is that ethical? And Paying docs to fly to islands under the guise of conferences is a frigging joke and KICKBACK!!!! And these CME credits is another joke. Catered lunches and get $6500 or more plus travel is a joke!!!

3. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Speaker programs, lunches, coffee runs, are all part of the job like it or not. But they all suck!

4. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Speaker programs are the worst!!!

5. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Tired of the lunches where staff Snapchats and dr comes in for a sec before he goes and screws the receptionist before his 1:00 patient. But hey as long as I get my signature all is good. What a joke!

6. anonymous

anonymous Guest

One time i was handed a Starbucks list (20 people) in the parking lot as the MD was showing up.
    It truly feels bad when dr's or staff think or know we are required to do so many calls a day and take advantage.
    The Md that asked for this never wrote any of my 2 drugs. His partner wrote a little of my one drug and he wasn' t even there that day. Here i was carrying 3 trays of Starbucks to just say 3 words and get a signature. Bullshit! Government needs to help us and remove these useless tasks. ALL of them. Lets see if and who wants to be seen by the MD's because of their patients. Isn't that the point.

7. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Such an abuse we go through! These staff and MDs know how to get free meals, snacks, coffees, it’s a joke! I’ve unknowingly provided meals for a nurse’s birthday, baby showers, etc. my company says just do it. And yes when they don’t write your drug I just want to say screw you! There is so much wrong with healthcare and maybe these drugs cost so much because companies providing these lunches, paying speakers, having speaker training and conferences at resorts. Pharma knows how to get around the law. Agree, useless tasks!!!

8. anonymous

anonymous Guest

You sound like a clown and smell of desperation.

It’s really easy to say no.

taj likes this.
  9. anonymous

anonymous Guest

I disagree. I think poster is speaking the truth of reality of the farce we go through. Some docs only see you if you provide food and you say no and your competitor will happily oblige. Calling on hospitals I have go through this circus as well and provide for a team, a unit, whatever it sucks. If that person is a clown all of us out here everyday doing this dog and pony show are clowns.

10. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Then quit - I make a great living using my companies money.

taj likes this.
  11. anonymous

anonymous Guest

You make a great living using corporate debt. Do you make trillions and get a ROI by doing shit that isn't even necessary> Can't you just do your job without the dog and pony show? or maybe you can't. Corporate debt makes the biggest chunk of debt in our society.
    Why are such high levels of debt so concerning? So many reasons you should be concerned about the rising national debt of our country. But your thinking is limited to your next paycheck, your next quarter and you can care less about economic growth, investments in our nation’s future, and preservation of our social safety net.
    Government Please ban lunches, snacks and donut runs of greedy corporations! None will suffer from one less white mocha frappuccino or a snack....

12. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Your MBA must not be too good.

taj likes this.
  13. anonymous

anonymous Guest

OMG! You just knocked down the straw man! HAHA

14. anonymous

anonymous Guest

This has been going on now for over 25 years... office staff in my old territory all were majority obese. Reps keep feed them...
    In the Stone age of pharma sales, No lunch was ever delivered, believe it or not docs would take the rep to lunch and pay! I say no to those a**hole offices demanding chow

15. anonymous

anonymous Guest

this industry is not sales anymore. and it has been that way for at least the last 15 years.

its about "checking the box" now. kissing your manager's ass. not selling. the only sales jobs worth considering are those with 1099, with a decent product with an established database. you pay less taxes in these jobs as well.

the corporate game is for those that are ignorant. and that is going to be college kids and people that are likely not even human beings, at this point.

16. anonymous

anonymous Guest

ive been downsized a few times over the last 6 years. I finally bit the bullet and tool a contract gig and co promote w a big company. Without lunches and breakfast appts I would legitimately see maybe one or two MDS per day...hell i probably only see 4 or 5 with them. and have to ghost the rest to hit ridiculous metrics. This shell game has gotten so depressing but i guess we must keep faking it until they finally pull the plug on this bs. It has become a total joke.

17. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Exactly. You all sound like a bunch of pussies. ohhhh I have to go get starbucks or donuts for a clinic. BOO-fuckin-HOO. We have the easiest 6 figure jobs in America so all you complaining bitches should stfu and go get the starbucks or quit.

18. Woody

Woody new user

I was a rep for Marion Labs in Florida and when I was at docs office in 1987, doc said go to the breakroom, I said ok..it was after lunch but they had pizza and snacks and such....I said who's birthday is it.....he said no one's, the Merck rep brought in lunch.....I said no way. He said yes and within 14 months we were doing it....back then we had great access, so the payoff was not great, but later when I worked for Parke-Davis and launched Lipitor....he paid off big time.

19. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Very depressing shell game!

20. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Somebody will end this shell game soon. Looks like the eyes are all on us - pharma. Big pharma it's being looked at closely now- but don't be mistaken. What's good for big pharma is good for all pharma. Changes will be made across the board for all.