Why do so many companies allow morons to be managers

Discussion in 'Dealing with Your Manager' started by M19, Oct 27, 2009 at 1:04 AM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Interesting that they have a job opening!

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Ha! They finally canned the idiot Texas DM.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

With good reason. His life revolves around CP. He now has yet ANOTHER RP name-- Mr. Massassachutes on the Poli board. Dear god he's a pathetic excuse for a human being.

4. Don Jia

Don Jia Guest

For a myriad of reasons, too many to mention here, but let me just say that it is not just corporations, the moron element is evident in all hierarchical, authoritarian power structures, one reason being that those higher up are, as a rule, actually quite terrified of those below then coming on to how weak and inept they really are.

From my experiences working, I can say there are some competent managers, but all too many fit the 'moron' qualification to a 'T,' somehow having gotten the impression that intimidation and general assholism is the way to get things done, to 'motivate' people.

These people always fit a similar profile, being the same kind of vacant, drone-types you'd expect soliciting for kommissar positions in whatever backward, totalitarian regime. The feeling of power, though imaginary, allows them to temporarily forget what mindless, miserable and generally mediocre buffoons they really are.

Rarely do managers of this latter type have satisfying sex lives either, or lives in general, their whole existence revolving around this need to uphold, if only for themselves, this illusion of power, of 'really being someone,' suppressing the very real possibility that those they manage don't at all perceive them as 'all that,' quite the contrary.

Many are glaringly narcicist, to the point of losing (or surpressing) all sense of reality, instead choosing to stay in this puerile ego trip which, unfortunately, in our hierarchical authoritarian culture is often actually encouraged, as a 'positive attitude.'

Switching employers can sometimes help temporarily, but unfortunately, the problem is more structural than we like to believe. It is the power hierarchy itself which breeds the morons.

If you are serious about this subject, as I once was, and don't wish to accept it's all just 'part of the game,' I suggest reading up on anarchism, because it is EXACTLY about this stuff being discussed here.

Most importantly, don't think that, because some people enjoy a modicum of success, merely on account of being a moron, that it will do for yourself to behave like them. You may or may not have much of a choice in where you work, especially in these times, but you do NOT have to be a moron yourself.

Radical peace,

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

well said.
    American soceity (indeed the world) is run by narcissists and sociopaths, the little man behind the curtain.

The rest, the followers, are in a constant state of pathological trance.

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I think the fact that you think a manager = leader pretty much says it all.

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

It's difficult to take a side on this issue since you can make good arguments both ways; maybe a place to start is to ask what you really want from your manager. With that said; more than likely the list you come up with may not be completely possible due to the expectations put on managers. What's unfortunate is managers are no longer allowed to think for themselves to do what's right for the business and as a result are forced into rolling out corporate programs that are not effective in their local markets; this makes them seem mindless and lack leadership; remember they are trying to feed their families as well and live under the constant fear that someone is going to file a law suit because he/she made a mistake. Therefore the safest path is doing exactly what the home office wants again making them seem like robots. In today's environment very little in the manager's world is negotiatable with the home office and is therefore forced down which becomes highly frustrating for reps; which is understandable.

So maybe it is a wish list and a sit down with your manager to determine what you both can live with realizing that both the manager and rep will need to compromise on some things. Working together is more effective than calling either side out.

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Cepahlon's managers are a bunch of bachelor's degree level morons that left their brains at the frat parties and they are so low that snakes have to use ladders to rub their balls.

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

You know?

10. Tootired

Tootired Guest

To me, they just let the most evil ones become managers.

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I have been a DM for 10 years. Not all of us are "morons" as you say. I treat my reps with kindness and respect. Expectations are high, but most good reps have high expectations of themselves, so there is no need to micromanage that. I understand that a rep's career experience depends on the DM's leadership and communication ability. Reps need to feel valued and that they are part of something meaningful. I humbly try to create that work environment for my reps. I only wish that my Regional Management treated me the same way.

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

The reason is not so much that the managers are morons (sure, they are morons), but its that educated and talented people would rather be treated like crap than do another job.

This job is in demand because it is easy money. Therefore, managers can treat talent like crap because there is always another person ready to step in an take the shit.

Its strange to see smart and talented and motiviated salespeople take shit for just for a few bucks, because they have to pay for that big house and make sure their spoiled kids get that private education and go to the best college.

What a bunch of girls we all have become. No backbone in this industry. All for the dollar.

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

"Working for an Idiot" is a great book. One day a person told me, have you ever read, "How to Retire and Stay on Payroll at the age of 40"-- He engaged me only for me to figure it out (finally) how the game works. Basically, disengaged managers know how to stay off the radar and protect their job, doing as little as possible. These are the types that just pick up a paycheck.

So many qualified individuals can be coach-leaders (managers). However, they are rarely hired. We know who those types others.

The others are the types that just protect their jobs and are anything but coach-leaders. They are the types that will fire others because they are threatened by talented reps.