Why do so many people hate this job?

Discussion in 'The Darkened Sample Closet' started by Anonymous, Jul 23, 2010 at 4:56 PM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. anonymous

anonymous Guest

I can't believe I read through the entire thread ...

Pharma for the amount of work compared to the salary ($90k+) is a fantastic gig.

Yes, it may not be the most stable career, but there are much worse options out there. Make yourself marketable.

Be smart, save a good chunk of your paycheck (Roth, 401k, savings), diversify your income (you have the extra time), and pursue worthwhile hobbies.

Spend time with your loved ones and be grateful for what you have. The world does not owe you anything.

2. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Not everybody hates this job. Many don't, some do, and others just don't think it's worthwhile as a long term career choice.

3. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Yes, because the people in this industry are likely not even human.

4. anonymous

anonymous Guest

If you have a jag off as a manager, you have to look. They probably don't have a spirit. Work with a person/manager with compassion that will appreciate you, and if they are under 40, chances are they will not appreciate you. the 40-50 range is a hit or miss. over 50 managers are the best. and they are over 50 and still a dick, then that person is not even human, but another clone created by the aliens.

5. MD2019

MD2019 new user

ASCENSION just announced its new “repless” vendor policy. The executive team in the supply chain group T R G, is led by newbies. The new rules leaves surgeons wondering how they will get support in cases. The demands FR fees that T R G is making, essentially “pay to play fees” from companies feels like a shakedown and will surely catch up with them.

6. anonymous

anonymous Guest

In the 33 years that I have been in the industry, I have never met someone who truly loved this job. Men and women take this job, because it pays the bills better than other jobs. I have also never met anyone, who wasn't glad when they retired from this bullshit!!

If I had to do it over again, I would definitely not choose this shitshow!!

7. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Agreed.

8. Woody

Woody new user

I liked all the years I did this. I sold many different drugs over the years and met many nice docs and office staff. It was mainly other lazy/complainers reps like many on this board.
    I sold from 1984-2016. It had a lot of perks and if an office made me mad I could walk out and go get a cup of coffee and cool down.
    I made a lot of money and had over 18 company cars over the years. Plus I learned my products and my competitors PI front and back, along with the disease state. I was President of the AHA in my area for few years.
    Take home Message: You get what you put into it, and I worked and have seen many lazy no good reps. Good Day!

9. anonymous

anonymous Guest

I sold fro 1984 to 2018...but every year it got tougher and tougher as more and more offices closed down to reps due to policies set by office managers. In the end, I was only able to make 3-4 legitimate calls at best per day. Retired last year...don’t miss it one bit. My territory is still not filled, as word has gotten around that this is a no-win situation. Good evening!

10. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Did you work in the South of the U.S.?

11. anonymous

anonymous Guest

over 30 years in the most corrupt industry on the planet, and you are proud of it.

let's hope you choose this life. but, it seems to me you just did it because you are not too smart, and just like to take orders all day. nothing wrong with that, but it just seems like a goofy way to go through life.

best to you on your retirement. you deserve a break for dealing with all the narcissist co workers and customers, that is for sure.

12. anonymous

anonymous Guest

That's another thing that's wrong with the industry: all the self-centered materialistic fake people! I don't miss them.

13. anonymous

anonymous Guest

This is the kind of person that will never wake up...I look back on all those years wasted in this phony charade of a profession as a bit of a tragedy really...A lot of years compromising my ethics and damaging my soul to chase little pieces of paper with dead people's pictures on them...

This goofball who takes pride in his "lot of money" and "18 company cars" is exactly the kind of nitwit that turned the pharmaceutical industry into the farce it is today...Oh...and he was President of the AHA in his area...Color me impressed! Wow...Listen buddy, you count yourself as someone superior to all the "lazy reps" you worked with...At least they they say reality of how dumb the job, how fake the industry (and most of the drugs are) and they got the punchline of the joke...

You must have been to busy at your AHA meeting circle jerk...

14. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Jelly - got laid off, can’t get back in.....

15. anonymous

anonymous Guest

DSI gave me an unworkable territory beginning of 2108. I was a very successful rep making a lot of money. I worked it for awhile but wasn’t seeing my family so I quit. I don’t make nearly as much money now but I see my family and don’t drive and lie for a living. For anyone who struggles letting go of the money or has moral conflict with pharma I would encourage you to quit. I feel like I’m finally living not just lying and running the road. Get a plan. Pay off debt. Get some savings and take the leap. I’m much more fulfilled now. The lying about calls all the time was eating at me and I’m thankful it’s over.

16. anonymous

anonymous Guest

That would be like asking if I could put back the straightjacket on and get back in the rubber room...

If you covet your pharma job as something precious, I feel sorry for you...

17. anonymous

anonymous Guest

no doubt that smart people don't stay in this industry. people that stay are usually the ones with little true sales ability.

and the managers are far worse.

18. anonymous

anonymous Guest

So fabricating calls doesn’t bother me at all, and I like the time with my family and the dough....

19. Woody

Woody new user

I posted the above, and I did love it 80% of the time. Yes, I did over 2,000 lunch or breakfast and learns. But I got my point across and docs like to challenge me, with products and product knowledge...I sold Zestril and one doc ask me, how was ace inh. developed? I said your kidding you don't know....he said if you know you will be the only rep with ace that know's the answer....I said the Brazilian pitviper snake...he said I was the only rep to know.
    Oh well...most jobs are what you make of it....Most offices I had at least one person I could count on and worked accordingly. Many reps today have their Cell phone stuck up their________.

20. Woody

Woody new user

Wow...you have a potty mouth. It's a FREE country so you can work where you can get hired. Frankly, I'm surprised anyone would hire you. Just because I liked to help people and docs about my products and the disease state, that makes me a good rep, and you complainer rep. No company had me do anything that was not right. In fact if I had a doc who I thought was shady or not up to par...I could delete them. And I did. I bet many docs deleted you. What happened: Did someone hurt your "Itty Bitty Feelings"? Ha!