Worthwhile trying to get into GSK?

Discussion in 'GlaxoSmithKline Lab Personnel' started by Anonymous, Jan 11, 2015 at 9:12 AM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Currently employed at another pharma company with several years of experience, but for many reasons am looking to get out.

Is GSK stable enough to think about being a viable company to look into finding a position at?

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

We really don't hire folks who end their sentences with a preposition

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

In general I would not advise anyone to get a job with any of the big pharma companies. There is upheaval and turmoil going on at all of them. GSK will be shutting down their R&D work in North Carolina (RTP), so I hope you aren't interested in that location. You can read the comments here (cafepharma), then I suggest you go over to "In the Pipeline" and see what's being said about various drug companies with respect to scientists' jobs.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

thanks

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Sorry, Is GSK stable enough to think about being a viable company to look into finding a position at, a$$hole?

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

That is fine. In general I make it a rule to not work for douchebag Grammar Nazis.

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Unless a particular pharma has struck an oil well (can you Gilead) all pharmas are a roll of the dice these days.

You have to work somewhere and most technical folks don't have tremendous options drastically switch fields. After X years you get too specialized.

So yes its worth getting working at GSK, at least compared to much of the industry that is in the same (sinking/leaking) boat.

Hint: if an option, work for company that is in its country of origin. GSK UK is much more stable than GSK USA.

While it was RTP that got chopped this time, UP/UM is next. They will get converted to a CRO controlled site and then chopped altogether within 2-5 years.

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Avoid GSK. For big Pharma, looking better at GSK, BMS, J&J.

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

No.

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

BMS isn't an option...I am actually currently employed there and it is just absolutely horrible, routine 13-15 hour days are now the expectation.

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Waaah.

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Things are going quite well here now. We just unloaded a bunch of dead weight scientists that were not contributing to the bottom line. We are always interested in new blood since the conventional wisdom was not working.

I expect the next couple of years will put us back on top of the industry.
    We have lots of open offices in RTP so you can essentially pick your view of RTP.
    Let me know if I can give you any interview tips.

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Other benefits of getting into GSK:

Easy to get parking spot close to your entrance.

Short lines at the cafeteria.

Plenty of excess IT accessories and stuff laying around. (You want a quad-monitor set-up, no problem.)

Don't have to wonder about future layoffs (layoffs are a given, not a feared possibility)

If you get a dud boss don't worry, within 1 year your boss will be gone, or you will be gone, or both of you will be gone.

Don't have to worry about completing difficult long-term projects, within 1 year the project will be terminated or you will be terminated.

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

You have to be absolutely joking. The only true statement is all the open space at RTP. The rest is absolute fabrication or fantasy.

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

...perhaps it was sarcasm...

16. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

All true.

As for interviewing tips: think WWJBD
    What would John Baldoni do?