Would You Stay with Merck for the Pension?

Discussion in 'Merck' started by Anonymous, Jun 20, 2009 at 6:38 PM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. anonymous

anonymous Guest

:D Really ?

2. anonymous

anonymous Guest

I stayed and took a lump sum well over 2.5 million. Those were the days!

3. anonymous

anonymous Guest

It wont be here much longer. The fools hired now get a small cash balance equal,to 3.5 % of their total salary. Big money gone at end of 2019! Mass exodus then!!!

4. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Not as much as me, poor guy!

5. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Yes I would

6. anonymous

anonymous Guest

It is individualized as it depends on one's age and how many years they have put in and how many more years they feel they can endure the emotional abuse. Some are masochists.

7. anonymous

anonymous Guest

"Emotional abuse" pretty much sums up this entire industry!!!

8. anonymous

anonymous Guest

It is very emotional selecting deli for all the big added RNs. I am depressed!

9. anonymous

anonymous Guest

No

10. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Add in "Self-esteem" abuse. How many of us want our kids to become pharma reps?

11. anonymous

anonymous Guest

No one got 2.5; you will get 2 weeks for every year plus unemployment. Depending your age it may pay to stay and wait.

12. anonymous

anonymous Guest

It won't be around in the near future. The pension changes in 2020. After that it is anybody's guess of how long it will limp along.

13. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Cash balance in 2020. Nah.

14. anonymous

anonymous Guest

unemployment eligibility varies by state

15. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Merck's pension will go the way of the dinosaurs. Too bad. This company is headed right down the hopper. Very sad!!!

16. anonymous

anonymous Guest

I walked away with 1.7M, turned it into 2.5 within 2 years. Glad I learned how to invest in my spare time when I was "working". No regrets about leaving. Make your own future. Don;t just wait to see what they will hand your when you are walking out the door.

17. anonymous

anonymous Guest

18. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Agree I retired in 2011 as an HSA (position now replaced) I I was with Merck for 40 yrs... My pension check was 1.6 Million and a 401k valued at 1,5 million... all rolled into an IRA. Best decision I made...combined with my other financial taxable accounts, since 2011 my assets have grown by 2 million

19. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Walking away with 1.7 million means you spent your life at Merck Staying for a pension was of the past and it totally depended upon one's age; forget the job market after a certain age as there is age d.

20. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Great. 5M is the sweet spot. You can now relax. Congrats and enjoy your retirement.