wow, what a ripoff

Discussion in 'Bio Reference' started by Anonymous, Jun 4, 2012 at 3:59 PM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Rip off
    Amount: $2,213.10
    Posted by: JacqueLA in Covington, LA. Posted: January 14th, 2012 08:01PM
    Clinic or Doctor: Dr. Cresap Insurance Carrier: NONE
    Type of Policy: CASH, self paid
    Office visit, we paid up front and were told we wouldn\'t have any other bills... was $168.10. I was so shocked it was cheap compared to my last visit years ago. Then a month later get a bill in for $2045.00 from BioReference Laboratories. Apparently my Doctor thought I needed every single yeast culture test under the sun even though I was not at risk, nor did I request anything but a basic pap smear. My husband is refusing to pay and I am waiting for Monday so I can call up both offices and give them a taste of my mind. This is down right con-ing patients out of money. \r\n\r\nOh I\'d love to give the media this news...if this isn\'t fixed. Maybe people will see the problem with health care is prices are not listed upfront and the consumer/patient isn\'t given a choice. That\'s like me walking into a restaurant, walking out and getting a bill for 10 tables I never ordered for. But I\'m responsible? And this goes on our credit report. B.S.

No wonder street sweeper did a story on you people.

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Why don't you call the Street Sweeper!!!

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

You are a self pay patient. You need the self pay envelope and your bill will only be $195. They wont reduce the bill until they get the self pay envelope. Staff didnt give you the envelope

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

wow, ONLY 195 dollars for a freaking pap test! still a ripoff.

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Call Howard Dubinette

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Wonder if the OIG would be interested in this scam.

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I'm fairly certain Howard needed a liver transplant, but there were not quite enough donor rats in Elmwood Park to form a workable organ.

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

In all seriousness how is this even an issue for the OIG? Charging a self pay patient an affordable price is in no way illegal. Nor would it be frowned upon. The fact of the matter is either a) this person has no insurance and we have a program for those individuals. or b) the insurance information was incorrectly filled out therefore the patient was not found to be having insurance. I also assume that $168 that was quoted was "just" for the office visit and it had nothing to do with diagnostic services provided.

All and all the amount the patient was billed is the amount submitted to insurnace which is done properly under the max allowables per pathogen etc. Insurnace companies in no way pay anywhere close to that amount. Most pay somewhere in the realms of 100-300 bucks. So all and all it is actually making healthcare more affordable while providing a break for patients with no insurance. Personally, I feel it is a more affordable approach compared to what hospitals and other labs do. To get just a pap, CT NG done elsewhere out of pocket your looking somewhere in the realm of 200-350. Easily. And you better hope they don't tack on a pathology "read" fee for them reviewing your pap b/c then it is likely to be another 150.

All and all this is much more logical and reasonable in the screwed up healthcare system we live in, rather than patients getting the raw end of a deal for doing what is clinical viable.

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

The guy above is correct. Is this not the entire idea behind the OASIS centers?

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

She doesnt need all that pathogen testing. You people are ruining the health care system for all of us. Making our damn insurance unaffordable with all these unnecessary tests. You people are a major reason the pap test intervals were changed.

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Howard is a bif fat lazy RAT

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

One question. You submit a claim for 2000 bucks. The insurance company says "nope I'm not paying for any of that" and they only pay $100 bucks of the $2000 dollar claim. That amount is considered payment in full for the patient. The insurance company is the one deeming what is appropriate in terms of testing and what is paid for...not the lab or the doctor.
    The insurance company is saying what they will pay for....how is that inflating costs when the company simply eats what isn't' paid for? I would agree if we were somehow forcing the insurance company to pay something they didn't' want to, but they are telling us what they are willing to pay, not the other way around. Not to mention many of those pathogens are drug resistant or is an patient that has had problems/issues. How much does it costs the healthcare system to see a patient multiple times for the same problem that was never resolved?

You sound like some disgruntled employee just trying to stir the pot.

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

What would happen if you said this to a medicare auditer?? Has it gotten to the point that breaking the law is the SOP??

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Most of the pathogens bioreference tests for are rare and the patient doesnt need to be tested for them. They are just home brewed tests that bio "invented" with no use other than ripping people off. THe validation studies were probably pathetic. With the new pap intervals, the gravy train is coming into the station. Revenue will drop off big time.

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I agree the new pap intervals will hurt badly. However, you say alot of these pathogens are rare? Go tell that to my doctors that find Ureaplasma and mobulincus on every other patient. The lesions I agree are less common but prevalence would dictate that you're incorrect on your statement

16. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

COME ON - EVERYONE KNOWS- THE GENPAP TEST=

shotgun testing!!!!! What does a shot gun shell do....... spreads until it hits a target. But hey, you are in the same boat as say MDL..... Yes you may or may not bill insurance for all of the test you are running, but you should be PROUD to be selling, testing, or even answering the phone for a lab that promotes, the build it we will find something to treat. WOW!!!! REALLY!!! I love when I see your name, lock box, hell I can even spot your crap results...... I do not even have to be the rep that sells aganist you, I enjoy putting those few words into a providers mind.... what is the sensitivity, what is the specificity, where is the data/publicatins, have you ever heard of street sweeper, were you aware of any article that........

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE give me anything in writing about the validity of GenPap or anything BioRef has on the platform, I will even take 10 pts tested positive for HSV 1 (maybe) off whatever vial, culture etc - Post your clinical data, in house validation....... PLEASE

17. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

First, can you seriously put together a sentence that has one complete thought?
    Secondly, if a patient is problematic and you find something....how is that a bad thing? Esp when things haven't been found in the past.

Finally, without divulging much additional information you do realize that the specificity and sensitivity is just as good if not better. All your flaming really makes you sound like a frustrated rep from another lab that just needs to flame another company b/c they are getting their butt handed to them. Have a great day! :)

PS: Streetsweepers? Really....I'm sure there are not ulterior motives for short term sellers throwing out some damaging claims from disgruntled workers in order to make a boatload of cash as the stock plummets. Oh yeah only took 6 months to gain all of it back from the slander plus hit the 52 week high...your logical definitely sound.

18. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

You are joking right. Since when is BV such a health crises that we need to routinely test women for it? If they have symptoms, treat the patient.
    Heck you can even see BV by screening a pap test due to clue cells. Guess what, you can also see Trichomonas and many other organisms just by screening a pap test. YOU DONT NEED TO RUN ANOTHER TEST FOR THEM!
    You are not understanding that bio's home brewed tests are a waste of money and unnecessary.
    No wonder we health care is such a mess, go ahead and keep justifying wasting money on crap.

19. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

20. anonymous

anonymous Guest

I had the same problem with them .. my bill was $1,795.00 for a routine pap. After calling them I was told that if I'm self pay it's $195, but there are no locations that I can drive to do I can get a receipt on hand . So now I just have to trust that they don't submit it as a payment towards the $1,795 instead of as the full payment . Shady as hell !