... year 2013

Discussion in 'Amgen IT' started by Anonymous, Jan 18, 2013 at 3:12 PM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

So, we have historically used the forum to talk about layoffs, cribbing about stuff. So lets try a different approach. I am curious about a few things. It would be great if you guys can help answer some of it.

How does one feel about the recent reorgs. Do we think technologies, competencies and organizations are rightly aligned?
    After the whole IBM thing, How is infrastructure doing its job so far. Are we happy or what are the things that could be better?
    How is HP doing so far? Are we happy?
    From technology-platform perspective, where are we heading? What are the latest technologies that you intend to use to make Amgen successful (long term), from Application and Infrastructure perspective? (please dont say SaaS or cloud, we all know that. Lets be specific and not theoretical)
    And has anyone wondered, why we do not have an organized applications & infrastructure for parallel computing, machine learning... I mean common shouldnt we a cutting edge company.
    How can we reduce the humongous man power (and sometimes mundane) we have in IS to a lean and intelligent organization, which does actual work?
    Managing document, lists, HR, inventory management, payroll is great. But we really need to contribute to the manufacturing, research and development community, with "real tools and applications"

Inputs and thoughts much appreciated

- Cynical, but still an optimist technology liberal

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I was a software developer for 20 years and performed technical work at Amgen for several years. Now I spend 90% of my working hours slapping together dashboards, excel spreadsheets, sharepoint lists, updating CIs, providing reports, performing access reviews, updating SCAs, reading useless SOPs, ....

I am using virtually none of my technical skills and there is no opportunity to learn new technical skills. There is nothing in my responsibilities that allows for creativity, design, archtecture, or development. It's a waste of my talent and experience; it is a career derailer. Gotta' get outta' here.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

How's the infrastructure IT team? Are are their responsibilities? I will be joining soon.