I have to laugh at my new life since Merck...You have no idea how far you can fall....

Discussion in 'Merck' started by anonymous, Mar 8, 2018 at 4:42 PM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Long time pharma guy that guy pushed out at the age of 50....Held management level RAM & NAM
    jobs and lived the pharma high life...what a ride it was...Saved really well, but also lived essentially
    the same lifestyle as my docs and customers...

Flash forward 8 years post-pharma and I spend my days combing thrift stores for used clothes and
    trinkets I can sell online or at swap meets...This is the best I have been able to do believe it or not,
    as I found out that there is little to no demand for lifer drug reps, especially if they happen to be white
    males...

I will "own" my part in this whole debacle...Got way too complacent with the easy pharma money and
    didn't stay up on adding new skills...Now I am slumming through thrift stores hoping to slow the erosion
    and hemorrhaging of my savings, and making a few extra shekels.

Have a back up plan folks...trust me on this...It is pretty brutal out here when you know longer are
    in the pharma bubble.

2. anonymous

anonymous Guest

You are right on as reps today think they have life long employment. Everyone will be gone sooner than later from patent expirations, sales declining downsizing or plain ole age discrimination. You will soon find out that the VP Awards and Masters Awards mean nothing in the outside world. Everyone is expendable, superstars today and out of a Job tomorrow. If you don’t have a plan then that is something you will have to live with. There are more ex Merck reps now than there are current reps. Good luck out there, you have been warned. Ask any of the current reps whose last days are the end of this month.

3. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Very well said...I know many retired reps that were lucky enough to have the jobs when the companies still treated the employees with dignity and fairness. Those days are long gone...Those retirees had at least a couple of million minimum to retire on, great health benefits, etc...

Now, if you make it to 55 you are doing well, and you still have to settle for the disappearing benefits and
    reduced pension...The party is definitely over for the majority of the rank and file reps in pharma.

Whatever you do, don't find yourself in the position, (as I have) of being to old to hire, and too young to
    retire...that is a deep, dark hold to dig out of...

4. anonymous

anonymous Guest

I am not going to point blame at you but what you and others fell for. The ram nammjobs were a joke from inception. from the beginning. Not one of you made a difference I know I was there. I can also list a whole number of jokes over the years. My only criticism is you did not take them for what they were worth. I did with no regrets. Screw them all!

5. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Getting another job is a job. I and many former Merckies have found new positions. The compensation is nearly the same and in some cases better . Experience at Merck on your resume is a good thing .Many hiring managers have been downsized and found new life at their current companies and don't see it as a negative . I am well over 50 and have matched my earnings in a new job. It can be done.

6. anonymous

anonymous Guest

really curious what you are doing and how you were able to do it? You must be a female I take it?

7. anonymous

anonymous Guest

If you have to ask, you can’t do it.

8. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Some of you people are genuine ass holes.

Truth is if your over 50 and displaced it’s not going to be easy. There are a ton of ex pharma reps from Merck, Pfizer, Sanofi, Lilly, etc. looking for work.

They can hire someone with a degree and 30 to do this job for 60K a year and they will be excited. Why would they hire someone who is 57 for 120K? They don’t care about your relationships or awards or experience.

If your fortunate enough to still be employed, I hope your eyes are wide open. Do not listen to the shit Merck tells you “your the best of the best”, they have been saying that for 10 years. Your longevity here is very doubtful. You had better be preparing for that day when your on the outside looking in.

There are positions available but you need to have perseverance. If your under 50 get in Oncology, biologics or get out of pharma.

9. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Speak for yourself. Over 50 hires are desirable. If you're good, age is not a factor. You sound like a pssy.

10. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Please go troll elsewhere...Let's see how desirable a hire you are after 50 Deli Boy...

11. anonymous

anonymous Guest

I know losing your job after 50 can be rough, but seriously there are real jobs out there. You shouldn't have to comb through thrift stores for things you can resell. There are jobs that provide income and some benefits, outside of Pharma believe it or not. The hours will not be flexible and you will have to show up. Not sure what your interests are, but Target is paying $12.00/hr. now; landscaping can become a career, restaurants always need help, or look for a company that needs an office manager with computer skills. It may not be Pharma but its a job.

12. anonymous

anonymous Guest

I opened a bordello!

13. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Jesus, are some of you morons literally retarded? Is there anyone is this shithole company dumb enough to think that Merck is "employment for life"? They've sh!tcanned 80,000 of us over the last ten years. They LITERALLY shuttered the corporate HQ! There's practically NOTHING LEFT of the sales force! WTF?

14. anonymous

anonymous Guest

what kind of fucking dumb ass post is this? you must be female I take it? How about I am a smart motivated person and not just relying on my gender to be hired. I am out there networking and finding opportunities and going after them......You must be some shit for brains man who thinks just because he has a dick he should have a job.....jesus.....what a loser.

15. anonymous

anonymous Guest

OP paints a grim picture....if your over 45, making a major career change will take a lot of effort and luck. If you're in a larger metro market then its easier but finding comparable position in a small market city/town then LUCK becomes even more of factor...

16. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Yes, you can make money working for yourself. People do shop in thrift shops and sell on Ebay. You really need to get on Amazon if you want to make a replacement income. I know several people making 6 figure incomes selling on Amazon.

17. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Yes, you can make money selling on Ebay. You really need to get on Amazon to replace your income. I know several people making 6 figures selling on Amazon.

18. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Selling what? Do tell!

19. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Im over 50 in rural area and found a better job. I was at 91K at Merck and got a gig at 105.

You have to sell yourself so get a nice new suit, nice dry cleaned shirt and tie and practice your interview skills. Have a few stories down that you can adapt to any STAR question. Make them think your the shit and they need you.

Don’t let doom and gloom get you down. Pharma is changing. They are not many PC jobs left and that is not the future. There are specialty positions that pay well but you have much bigger territories and travel a little more.

If I was younger I would definitely not try to build a pharma career.

20. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Look how many products are selling on Amazon. Pick a category. Clothing, shoes, sport equipment, vitamins, cosmetics, etc. It is the reverse of what you are doing now. Instead of trying to sell your current products to customers, find out what people want to buy and sell it to them.