Life After Pharma....Anyone?

Discussion in 'Industry Veterans' started by Tired of this lost industry, Jun 13, 2009 at 5:55 PM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

More and more, it seems that the jobs available are state jobs like teaching or police officer. The days of the hard working sales rep in America appear to be over.

This country has lost its way.

I would suggest nursing (a very easy job, even though people actually think it is hard), PA (going for an MD is a waste of time and money, terrible ROI), pharmacist, or school teacher or police officer (decent state jobs).

If you have the drive to start your own business, do that. It takes a special person to do this, but if you understand markets and don't mind working, then starting a business is the way to go.

Lastly, independent sales is a good way to go, but that is not easy either.

Bottom line is that times are tough, and to survive, you are going to need to be creative with your career choices and SAVE every penny when you are working because things are not getting easier.

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I am realizing that another sales job in corporate Amerika is probably out of the question, even if I wanted to go that route...

I am most likely going to go back to school for one or more certificate programs, (maybe get a teaching credential) sell my house when the market comes back a bit, and get used to a very different, reduced life style than I Had in pharma...

I am not sure if I can risk my capital starting a business now, because I am in my 50s and if the business tanked, i would be screwed...as the other poster noted, things here are not going to get any easier...we are living in harsh times, and Amerika seems to be accepting Obama's new Marxist economy, as the way things are and have to be...this is the first step to things really being over in the USA, when the public accepts it...

I really regret the day I ever set foot in pharma...my God, what a diasterous career choice it turned out to be...

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

After 18 years of this I just can't see myself doing it for a few more years. It sucks the energy out of you. I want to slow down a bit now that I'm approaching my mid 40's. Not work harder like I did in my 20's. The rat race gets old. It's such a phony job and revolves around perception, checking boxes, and justifying your job. Nothing matters but numbers numbers numbers. I've had more than enough of it. Looking into plan B. Any others out there that got out of this?

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I just got out in my early 50s, after 25 years in the industry....could not take it anymore...the job is a total joke now and i became embarassed to tell people what I
    did for a living...

THe rat race does get old...i am sick of it...I am probably going to work for 1/3rd to 1/4th of what I was used to making in Big Pharma, but I am willing to accept that, as I barely escaped with my sanity from the pharma circus...

Don't have it quite figured out yet, but I know for sure, I will not get anywhere near the pharma industry at this point...I would rather peel off my own fingernails...

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

This is so true. After so many years I simply can't take the phoniness of the whole thing anymore. The job is getting harder, the doctors simply don't give a shi* what you have to say, nobody wants to see you anymore, managed care dictates everything, and the human element has been completely removed from the job. I'm willing to take the pay cut as well. Pharma is so done it's not even funny. It starts to wear on you, especially with close to 20 years in the game. It's time for a change. I just have to figure out what that change is. I want something more personally fullfilling and not so focused on money money money all of the time. It really is a thankless job. It's made for younger people who want to knock themselves out over the course of 2-3 years with the hope of getting promoted. Looking forward to a change for the better.

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Hi. I am a student at the University of Alabama. I write for an online magazine called Platform Magazine that centers around the issues facing PR professionals. I am writing an article about pharmaceutical representatives and the way that social media, PhARMA, and an ever-changing industry is affecting long-time professionals. I would love to ask anyone who has been a rep a few quick questions.

205-337-2029
    jacranford@crimson.ua.edu

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

yes - 15 years, should have quit when I hit 11 years - last 4 were HELL

buy out was a dream come true - out of biz and don't miss it - i saved my shekels and now am retired - thanks for the cash, big Pharma!!!

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

yes - 15 years, should have quit when I hit 11 years - last 4 were HELL

buy out was a dream come true - out of biz and don't miss it - i saved my shekels and now am retired - thanks for the cash, big Pharma!!!

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

It took you 25 years to figure this out?

It took me about 6 months, but the money has kept me in. Now, 10 years later, I am ready for plan be...

going back to school for my MBA in operations management, with a plan to run operations in the automotive industry.

My pharma experience was good, because of all the corporate losers I have dealt with over the years, and dealing with their BS makes "playing the game" more bearable as I move forward.

Its just funny how it took you 25 years!

Wow, you are lazy!