Mass exodus from oncology

Discussion in 'GlaxoSmithKline' started by anonymous, Nov 19, 2020 at 10:16 AM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. anonymous

anonymous Guest

GSK affiliation on their Name tag (ha ha name tag) and calling card enough said! They are a loser!

2. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Make sure you are playing your cards right. Word on the street is that DougSmith was “virtually” begging JP to bring him over to TG for their next expansion. Not sure how true this is, because given his past, I could never see him working for a woman, or a minority. However, if it comes thru, have your resume ready. Mike P is beginning to realize Doug’s ineptitude and it so secretly looking for a replacement. Funny to see how both of them pretend all is fine behind each other’s back. I see only one winner here.

3. anonymous

anonymous Guest

You’re funny. Why then, do they pay us a lot more...you know, if we are all the same? “How HQ looks at you”? How do you think we look at them? They are idiots for the most part and we couldn’t care less of how they look at us.

4. anonymous

anonymous Guest

We also pay some PC reps more than other PC reps. Are they more important than other PC reps because they make more (gotcha)? Once again, you are not important. On the ladder of hierarchy, all reps are on the same rung. You are not influencing some of the most-highly educated practitioners and individuals in the world with your four-year-bachelor-degree from Shippensburg University. GTFOH. I'll admit that not all reps are buffoons, but that is the vast minority.

HQ people are idiots? Like any other position, there are some. However, when you are talking about the individuals that coordinate the business, you'd be hard pressed to find an idiot. We could do your jobs, better than you could perform ours. We have to know the business on a global scale. You, morons, could not tell me how your district is performing. Hell, most of you could not tell me about the revenue in your own territories. That's another thing, you have a territory. A small carve-out that you bitch about, incessantly. Earnings and earning power wise, we are not in the same stratosphere. My degrees can get me into almost any company in the world, and not at an entry-mid level rep job. Plus, I can command a relocation package, stock options, and a sign-on bonus amongst other things. How about you, rep? Would a company be willing to give you all of those things, at once, just to have you join their organization? I have gotten it twice, now, and if I change organizations, I'll command it again. Also, elite sales person, I do not have to pander to a six-month educated MA or desk clerk to see an individual, and I do not have to bribe my customers with a macchiato and/or lasagna. I don't walk into a meeting and get told where to stand and to whom I can speak. I'm not locked out of my business development meetings, payer meetings, or consultant meetings. They actually want to talk to me. Can you say the same? No. Oncology reps have less access than the PC reps about whom you feel that you're more important. You aren't important to their ecosystem, and the only reason that you're here is because it is cheaper to employ reps than do a worldwide DTC campaign. So, keep calling us idiots. None of you morons know the first place to start when running and contributing to the global business of a $40 Billion organization.

Try to refute any of this with facts. I'm certain that you cannot.

5. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Wow, someone must have really tanked the Oncology rep interview. There’s a ton of anger bubbling under there. I bet your cube mates are afraid of you. Why do you bash the role, yet sound so envious at the same time? Maybe you can get a job in vaccine sales as a stepping stone?

6. anonymous

anonymous Guest

another idiotic response from a member of the overdressed waitstaff

7. anonymous

anonymous Guest

I agree 100% with you!! Well said!!!

(Not really, but this lengthy tirade is a sure sign this dude is about to crack. I’m just agreeing with him so maybe he’ll aim at someone else as I duck out a side door)

8. anonymous

anonymous Guest

two paragraphs is a lengthy tirade? That's pathetic. more rep stupidity and laziness. I believe that you all were told to stop messing around, and get off of this site. Those double shot lattes are not going to order themselves.

9. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Go to any company board on this site and pick out any thread. See how long it takes you to find a rant as long as your masterpiece.

You need to move along now. This isn’t going well for your sanity

10. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Well let's start with the fact that you had very little if any facts in your post. More like hyperbolic opinions, incoherent assumptive dribble, with a sprinkling of highly elitist snobbery. You must be a blast at parties!

Let's see...where to begin? Sure we pay some PC reps more that other PC reps and we pay some Onc reps more than other Onc reps, but as a whole Onc reps are being paid far more top to bottom so your argument and logic is wildly flawed(gotcha). Your highest paid PC rep is most likely being paid less than our lowest paid Onc rep...so right there the organization and the industry is telling you one is more valued than the other or why else would they pay such a premium on an FTE if they are all the same?

Next, on the P&L you will always be the L and you do not 'coordinate' anything. Your function is highly replaceable and GSK is literally the laughing stock in our industry so good luck parlaying that into anything worthwhile. No one equates the annual revenue of a company with your skill set and contributions. If anything, good biotechs, who always pay substantially more, hardly look to Big Pharma for talent. We all know you are a bunch of non-thinking, order following, kiss asses with no original ideas, skills or talents. Sure you can jump from GSK to Merck, to J&J all the while good onc reps jump from biotech to biotech, getting bought and making millions. I have had more millionaires on my team at Tesaro than I didn't. At the very least a sales rep is on the P side of the equation, has enduser relationships and local territory knowledge. What do you bring to the table that is unique? Regurgitation of what you learn from ATU's, market research, and ad boards? You don't think, you follow directions. Very compelling...and very replaceable.

You are a lackey who is merely following the orders of your superior, who more likely than not is getting their marching orders from conman from BCG or McKinsey. You are bragging about relo packages... really? You must be under forty and have never made any real money in this business to think a relo package as being substantial. Highly sought after oncology reps will get sign on bonuses worth more than your relo. What, you think oncology reps are not getting sign on bonuses, RSU's and options? Most oncology reps at good biotechs are making more money than EVP's at GSK. How do I know this? I came from Tesaro, not as a rep, and have sat in meetings with HR, and HQ during the transition and they were shocked at the salaries, bonus and stock based compensation that many of our reps had - the comment was made that you have reps making more than our EVP's...that IS a fact. I was not the only person in the room, so ask around.

Lastly, I'm unsure you have an full understanding - or any understanding, of what an oncology rep does and how it is different than a PC rep. Terms like 'pander' and 'bribe' show how uninformed you are on the actual job you are denigrating. I've worked in house at some of the most prominent and successful oncology biotechs, both in marketing and market access - I've led managed markets, GPO, and VA teams in my career and I've held multiple sales leadership roles and yes even a worked as an oncology rep and to read what you wrote wreaks of greenness...you don't know what you don't know...and it shows. So good luck with that daily commute once things open up, enjoy whatever crap whole NJ/PA town you have to live in so you can commute to - enter big pharma name here - and keep trying to climb the ladder internally and maybe just maybe, just maybe, you can knock down over $400k a year like many good oncology rep do...

11. anonymous

anonymous Guest

You're an idiot. Which explains why you had to become a pharma rep. You're incapable of extemporaneous thought or a lucid argument. Search the website and pick out any thread, which could number in the hundred thousands. Did you do that before you posted, stupid? It's hard to fathom that reps are this moronic, but you, all, find ample ways of proving it. Don't worry about my sanity. A battle of wits with reps isn't any more stressful than third-grade arithmetic. Now, this is the last time that I am going to tell you to go back to work, and stop posting on this site. We need the sales force -mobile DTC advertisers- in the field. Plus, the MAs will not be ordering their own coffee. Actually, go all out for them. Pick up some Krispy Kreme, too. Don't worry. I'll approve the expense.

Talk to you later, kiddos.

12. anonymous

anonymous Guest

you can knock down over $400k a year like many good oncology rep do...?

Ok. You're an idiot, ill-informed, and a liar.

You are all pharma reps, and that is the best that you can do. Take care, kiddos. Err, I mean elite sales team. Good luck on the next layoff that you'll try to dodge.

13. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Truth hurt Junior? Layoff? That would be a blessing. Take my severance and go to the next biotech and do it all over again! You keep climbing the ladder in Big Pharma...see where that gets you.

14. anonymous

anonymous Guest

So now that you have also submitted your CP unverified resume like the poster you are yelling about, you are going to have to verify this 400k a year pharma sales jobs. That sounds like a lie to me. And if you are legacy Tesaro, I highly doubt any of you sold enough zejula to make any money. That is not possible.

15. anonymous

anonymous Guest

I’m an Onc rep and I have hit over $400k in a year. It’s not common but it does happen, especially during launches. I tend to come in over $300k in total comp in ‘normal’ years, which is not uncommon for oncology reps at biotechs.

Here is a normal year:
    $200k plus base salary
    $8k a year auto allowance
    $60k at plan
    2000 LTI RSU’s @ $50 per share value = $100k
    So a relatively normal year at plan my W2 is around $360k to $375k.

When I have won COE/Prez Clubs and the quarterly payout is in the ‘excellence zone’ the $15k goes to $30k in a quarter so throw in one or two of those in a great year and I have W2’d well over $400k. Sprinkling in a few contest wins and even in an ‘at plan’ year a senior/executive oncology rep is brushing up against $400k. Sure $100K is stock based compensation but that is still real money and you are taxed on it like real money.

If you want to remove the stock based comp than sure your average oncology rep is making $275K to $300K in a normal year. Again if you have a standout year you will pull down well over $300k without the stock based comp.

It really isn’t all that uncommon...TG and ADC were well into the $200k bases, big IC plan and big sign on bonuses with their recent build outs.

Hope this helps shed some light on the comp plan for an onc rep.

16. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Accurate and pretty standard. The best is when you do get bought out and the stock proceeds are distributed via a weekly paycheck run and you have a seven figure Gross Pay YTD. I was refinancing a while back and provided paystubs and W2's and the lender asked, "what happened in 2013, that you made a few million dollars"?

Doesn't always play out that way but if you stick in the game long enough hopefully we all get at least one of those. Unfortunately, Tesaro did not work out that way...

17. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Who do you think he worked for when he came back to GSK? This is like that scene from Coming to America when the guy in the barber shop says "try the soup".

Mental note of you saying, Ah ha!

LOL - this is like the pot calling the kettle black. Mike P is in so far over his head! He has literally told people the role he's in was a "stretch" for him. He plays the perfect political game with Sr. Leadership and kisses all the right behinds to stay off the radar. Mike P is all about himself at all costs and will sell out anyone and anything in his way! I wouldn't trust a thing that comes out of his mouth.

18. anonymous

anonymous Guest

This whole unit is a mess. We were all sold the line that it was going to be different and novel. That we are gonna change the way business is being done. Here is the problem, our doctors are the business and we go by what they are doing plain and simple. If you have experience in oncology, be honest with yourself. Have you ever seen an initiative from a drug company that actually shifts the way business is done. I personally have not and have seen so many programs waste time and money and add unrealistic goals to the sales team. Notice that really good people are leaving. That should say it all.

19. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Church

20. anonymous

anonymous Guest

it’s GSK...they always do lame things they try to brand as “innovative”. I came from Tesaro and GSK was a great reminder of how dysfunctional Big Pharma is from a commercial perspective. It took me back 20 years to my first PC job out of college. It’s like nothing has changed. So weird. Glad I got out. Landed at an amazing biotech and life is back to normal.
    Good luck to the rest of you!