Old timer stories

Discussion in 'GlaxoSmithKline' started by Anonymous, Jan 26, 2015 at 8:33 PM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

we always followed Pfizer and copied ideas...........most hotels back then rented the projectors , screens, and stands.............................then came the Kodak carousel projector [ round tray with slides ] , our district used my personal one instead of buying one, I had screen and all......speakers would bring their own slides or tray.

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Forgot all about the Kodak carousel projector and slides! Good times! I remember taking my dinner program invitations to a typesetter, having them do the layout, printing me 50 invites with rsvp response cards complete with dinner selection, and postage paid response back to me a week prior to the program. Simpler times!

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Op here again.

Thanks for sharing! I see the technology changes really made an impact, there were harder ways of doing things that I may not even think twice about doing during my day.

Also sounds like speaker programs have changed to what we have now. Where those go to events since you could draw docs vs now where it's just to hear another doctor day what you're saying?

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Oooooooooo..... sounds like someone got her panties in a wad over that one!

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Extracurricular activities..Doc you wanna see the Alma mater play this weekend? The fish are biting offshore, wanna go??..

Every other sales field would consider it money well spent to spend half a day or more with a big account and pharma was no exception...had a good time doing that...now you bring in a few coffees and its like your bribing the Pope.

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Love this post! So I'm comin in. Just hire pro foot players to talk - 10 grrr... Then we all go golfing. It happened, and didn't need to lie about attendee's, obviously. MCE definitely works! Manage Cash Effectivly, hang as long as you can, don't let it eat your guts out. Hail GLAXO and the amazing Man who hired me and threw me the keys to a brand new T-bird with a moon roof. Times change. Companies can suck - still an amazing gig if you can hang. Work hard and it will all work out.

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

"You said you liked the tie I had on last time I saw you..here's a dozen from the place I get mine at, now you'll look really sharp and 'smart' Rxing my product"

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Please elaborate and embellish...

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Old timer here, original Glaxo, took the 2010VRIF. As I still keep my pharmacist license active, I rec'd an email blast on Anoro and was curious to see the noise around the product. I visited cafepharma and saw this thread. FIRST, I wish to apologize to all current Representatives for all the fun, promotional activity etc. we had which brought the wrath of the HHS/DOJ upon you. Started out selling vitamins and Corticaine Cream (Hey Doc, Corticaine Cream puts a cool, cool breeze in your BVDs, it's like sitting on a peppermint patty), now that is painting a picture. Then came Zantac more fun and BIG $$$. Remember the trip to Hawaii when Glaxo had to rent a bulldozer to bury the beer bottles. Presidents Club for the most part was earned (except for those territories which made it regardless of the rep.), got paid on DDD by zip code, very little manged care, no computers, no cell phones, no sample accountability, voice mail 3xs/day and a fax/answering machine, made many friends and the Docs were open, gave you time and were happy to see you, especially if you were paying them to be a speaker or taking him and his wife out to dinner. The best was paying him to give a talk to his whole office with guests at the restaurant of his choice. Dinners from LeBecFin to Daniel's and Peter Lugars.
    I worked regionally in the North East and rotated through RTP working on special projects and as a sales trainer. Aside from the dinner programs, let us not forget the RABs (Regional Advisory Boards) and speaker programs from California to Puerto Rico. Ah the good old days, just like the Wild Wild West, it is hard to imagine for new representatives that if you stick around, today will someday be the good old days.
    SECONDLY, it was no fun being grilled by the HHS folks (did some work with LS) but us field folks were the soldiers on the front line and the lines on the playing field were very wide (just like in soccer, play stops when the ball goes out-of-bounds not the player). Mea cuppa, mea cuppa, mea maxima cuppa,
    Good Luck to you all.

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

.......and I was SKB rep when y'all came to town here in NC, it was a tough battle, hard to fight big bucks , but fun !

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

doc likes my tie, bought him a dozen...Pfizer rep I competed with would buy docs nice sport coats or even clubs / shotguns...gave away cruise trips to my favorite docs (sure they weren't interested in hypertension cruise theme, heck they were ob/gyns..my major money maker was birth control pills, guess how my commission looked).

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Trying to have fun with stories of yesterday......above is childish post, and shows poor parenting.

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Concerning the change of leadership....this has always occurred every few years, no big deal.......BUT, many times we jumped from the frying pan into the fire ! Watch out.

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

He is far worse, you will see my pretties!

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

gold club