OTISMED RECALL

Discussion in 'Stryker' started by Anonymous, Sep 15, 2009 at 6:51 PM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

All custom cutting guides / drill guides that do not have FDA approval are being withdrawn from market till they do.

Who has FDA approval SMITH AND NEPHEW. Who has the best system out SMITH AND NEPHEW. If you compare feature for feature plus they actually come sterile packed and can be flashed multiple times there is no question it is the most solid system (only) currently available after today.

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

The bottom-line with knees, or any prosthesis, and any reasonably mature ortho rep knows this, that every knee on the market will do well, that outcomes today are largely dependent on choosing an appropriate implant for the appropriate patient, with a reasonably skilled surgeon that properly places the component to reproduce normal or near-normal knee anatomy so patients can return to activities of daily living.

Whether the surgeon trys the signature blocks, the otis blocks or visionaire blocks, their all nothing more than external alignment guides; thats it. One knee system isnt going to out-perform another and one external alignment guide isnt going to out-perform another that translates into lessening healthcare expenditures or improving 15-year outcomes of already published conventional knee replacements when placed properly in appropriate patients by competent surgeons. Pre-planned external alignment guides offer, for the most part, a smaller margin or error, for mal-alignment of implants. End of story.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

The Wright Medical custom cutting blocks are better than the Smith and Nephew blocks when you look at them feature by feature. The last poster is correct. This technology is a means to decrease the margin of error in component alignment. The hope is that a surgeon can more accurately reproduce the desired alignment for every case. There is also the decreased OR time that comes once a surgeon gets comfortable with using the blocks. This technology will hopefully allow every surgeon the ability to get the most out of the implants. This technology is not magic and can't overcome in shortcomings in the implant design or survivorship.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Actually, Biomet, Depuy, Wright, and Smith & Nephew all have 510k approval for a MRI/CT based knee navigation. Smith and Nephew still has the worst poly in the business. I have 3 in my briefcase that were Journey retrievals that all yellowed and oxidized prematurly. I think we will see big problems for bi-cruciate design.

5. Do they all have Class 2 clearance? I think not. The FDA is looking at all the above companies and will soon require each of them to re-file as a Class 2 device. All of the above companies followed OtisMeds 510k submission and went after the same Class 1 designation because it pushes through faster. I hear that the FDA will be raining down on each of the companies above ... and soon, very soon.

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I have been a joint rep for 10 yrs. What I have learned is all the companies have great stuff. We can't all have everything in our bag. But if you are an excellent salesman that has all the qualities it takes to become successful, then you will be! A good salesman sells what he has to work with and does not put down the competition because that is simply lame and immature. I represent a smaller company but I do over $3million a year is sales in my territory without the "big company" name to help me along.

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I'm curious as to how many have been implanted & what, if any, peer-reviewed articles exist to back up your claim.

Honest question.

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Honest Question, but rhetorical none-the-less. The answer to your question is none. And the question needs to be adjusted to include the term 'long-term'. Just because something is peer-reviewed, doesnt mean it's effective.

Just as the answer would be the same if asked of any other guide, and the majority of knee designs on the market. Just because designs are 'variations' on a similar theme, doesnt innately make them effective. Im not the guy above, but he's perhaps a younger sales fanboi or delusional inside company man.

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Stryker sucks.

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I guess the above super surgeon who speaks for all orthopods is NOT affiliated with the UK, Swedish or Australian registries which refute the above BS. Nexgen least revised PERIOD!!!!

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Prediction: Steve Howell doesn't wait for Otis to get paperwork together, he takes surgeons back to the knee he started this with.

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Which is what ?

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Vanguard

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

You're kidding, right?

Do you even read the things you post?

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I'd like to get a clear answer on this. I have heard that, for whatever reason, the FDA is not making these companies re-submit as class 2.

16. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I have also heard that Otis Med is the only one who has to resubmit.

17. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Almost a year now....shortly?

18. Ms. RIO

Ms. RIO Guest

Sounds like you are all still in Kindergarten. Cutting blocks aren't even needed with Robotic PKA surgery. You can't speak of "custom" or "alignment" until you have seen this technology.

19. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

OtisMed was not FDA approved for use in the USA from 2007-2009. Biomet and Stryker were co-marketing a non-FDA approved medical device with the OtisMed staff. That is why the FDA had them stop marketing the device. Also, the claims being made by OtisMed were pulled due to a lack of supporting data for their claims. Everyone involved in selling and promoting non-FDA approved devices are in violation of the law. Standby and watch what happens.

20. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

there are still no prospective, randomized, blinded studies for otismed versus conventional knee replacement. And then there is no published data for the cost ratio .
    And its only for CR knees ??? Most docs do PS these days.
    All marketing and no science !