Specialty pharma salaries vs. biotech salaries

Discussion in 'Pharma/Biotech Comp - Gen Discussion |Pharma Sales' started by anonymous, Aug 9, 2020 at 3:15 PM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Sarepta has had their own internal sales team since Summer/Fall of 2015.

2. anonymous

anonymous Guest

100% wrong. It is contracted out. Call TT and ask him...

3. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Oncology is place to be

4. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Any of you big dogs want to throw around some more company names for us common folk to look into? Y’all are arguing about semantics but the truth is, a lot of people are trying to get were y’all are now. You are all extremely fortunate, remember that.

5. anonymous

anonymous Guest

I agree with the above poster. No one wants to leave Onc of course, but for those trying to get in the companies are few and far between. Please share if you were in or retiring!

6. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Good money for being a lunch bitch!! What a worthless career.

7. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Means to an end. Who cares. $300k a year to bring lunch or grinding to make $300k…what’s the difference?

8. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Looking for some advice here. I’m in medical device sales, working in the operating room and interventional radiology, calling on neurosurgeons, orthopedic surgeons, and interventional radiologists. I’ve worked my way up to where I am and am proud of what I’ve accomplished. Making good money, mostly all in commission with a low base. That said, I work long hours and definitely do not take any days off, even working some weekends. I know from previous roles in generic injectables that the pay was decent and the work life balance was great. Would a biotech company hire someone with a background like mine? I work for the leader in all of medical devices. Thanks.

9. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Tell me where to apply to make 300k and I’ll quit my job instantly in the OR. How many hours a week are you guys working in this space? I’m covering probably 4 surgeries a day and maybe one Saturday a month. Lot of 4 am and 5 am mornings. Gets tiring.

10. anonymous

anonymous Guest

I work biotech. Make base of $185k, average $55-$60k annual bonus, $35k in RSU’s - plus car, expense account, etc. it comes to around $300k. I work 1-2 days a week. I just turned 50, and had the opportunity to go medical sales at 45, but took this instead. Best decision I ever made.

11. anonymous

anonymous Guest

no. taxes. you don't make that much.

and you are still a slave.

I make much more with my carpet cleaning business.

12. anonymous

anonymous Guest

I wish there were a way for you to private message me. Would you be willing to share the name of who you work for, along with some direct competitors who might offer similar pay range?

13. anonymous

anonymous Guest

What are your thoughts on Myriad Genetics? You will know more about the market than I do. Worth pursuing a role with them?

14. anonymous

anonymous Guest

One thing I'm curious about for those who transfer to another place is if they gave you the same PTO you had at another company.
    Sure, increased salary is great. But PTO is more valuable to me. Obviously, everything is negotiable. I'm just curious if companies are giving those Perks to new employees. I can't justify going from 6 weeks PTO back to 3 weeks. For some it's not a big deal, but it is to me.

Anyway, Sanofi Genzymes salary sucks for rare disease. And they wonder why they can't keep anyone.
    As of 2020, the range there was 100-185k for rep. 145k was indeed average. But I can tell you, many are way below average despite seniority. Their target bonus is 55k. Even in a good year, most won't get above 60. I would say 50 in bonus is average.

15. anonymous

anonymous Guest

thanks for the insight. Coming from the device world, the majority of companies I’ve worked for don’t have a formalized process of requesting PTO. It’s more of a “Hey I’m going to be out but I’ll still be able to answer e-mails and phone, or hey I’m out of the country and I know I’m inconveniencing the team who has to pull another rep to help assist with territory coverage. Money is good, like 225-325k, but base salary is low which incentivizes hard work. Very different culture, but I end from break into Oncology/rare disease and have better quality of life and more guaranteed base pay.

16. anonymous

anonymous Guest

I wouldn't say PTO is strict, but if you're actually going on vacation/away, you need to take a day off. No one cares if you've got personal appts, have to take the kids to the doc, you take a half day because you're burnt out, etc.

I would your quality of life would be better in rare or oncology compared to many years in device. It's more laid back, but has it's own unique challenges. Where I'm at in rare, territories are multi states, and therefore lots of travel. I actually like being in rare disease. It's different, and you don't feel like a drug rep. And docs see you differently. It is more patient centered than other divisions because each story is unique and lifechanging. Especially if it's a genetic disease. It's hard staying motivated, as you aren't getting a script/contract all the time. At least where I'm at, it takes years to build up and get some people actually looking. So I like that part. I've just been there quite a while, and everyone is leaving for significantly more pay, and newbies are coming in making more. My biggest reason for hanging on is the excellent management in my company. They get it, support you, and push back with upper management. That is also more valuable than higher pay. For a certain amount of time.

17. anonymous

anonymous Guest

I'm in the hospital every day, so COVID is the least of my concerns, but just curious if your current company is expecting you to travel and be in hotels on a nightly basis. I have buddies who work in the industry, and while a few of them have very large territories, the companies haven't really required they travel since covid. It seems pretty kush actually. They make about 185k but never leave their house. Sounds like you are on the road quite a bit. I don't mind that at all if the money is 275k and up. Good leadership and management is key. Consider yourself fortunate. I'd love to be a part of something like that. I see myself getting burnt out in my current role. A lot of 4 am two hour drives, and company won't allow hotel stays due to the fact that we cover surgeries on a daily basis.

18. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Does anyone know if I could break into oncology with a medical device background? I have experience calling on radiation oncologists, neurosurgeons, interventional radiologists, and orthopedic surgeons. Total comp right now is about 250-300k with commissions paid monthly, dependent on performance. Would love to have a higher base and less variable. Lot of early mornings in my role. Thanks in advance.

19. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Any suggestions on companies/positions to go to from rare?
    I'm tired of the multiple state territory and low pay. I really enjoyed the job overall, but I really need a step up in pay. Sanofi pays like shit, and my salary is around 120 after 9 years. And they dont offer RSUs.
    I also just need a change.
    Suggestions?

20. anonymous

anonymous Guest

Thoughts on Eagle Pharmaceuticals? Anyone familiar? Would they be considered biotech/oncology?