Specialty Sales Rep-Rheumatology

Discussion in 'Centocor Ortho Biotech' started by Anonymous, Jan 26, 2011 at 7:06 PM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

What the Quintiles reps get is exactly what all biotech and pharma reps deserve for the little work they do in the field. I'm tired of hearing about no access as an excuse to stay home and do nothing. Try working in the HO and getting away with running your second business and errands all day. Field based territories are a joke and deserve to have their salaries and total packages adjusted based upon what they really do monday through friday.

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

You just described the whole Northeast region!

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

There are a lot of us in the NE who work very hard and have the access and relationships to prove it. As for HO employees whining about not being able to run their errands, Seriously? Did we make you take that job?

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Everyone knows that field based "detail people" don't even leave their houses anymore. The job is a joke and salaries need to be adjusted for what "detail people" really do all day and actually produce for the company. Which is nothing.

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Speak for yourself. If you think we sit around all day then perhaps that is what you do. It isn't what I do. The contract reps aren't being paid enough considering the massive territories they cover. When gas prices go through the roof they will not be properly compensated and their expenses not properly covered.

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Actually, the contract reps ARE being paid enough for the work they do considering the massive territories they cover. It's the cobi reps who are being paid too much for the work they do considering what their days actually consist of with no access anymore.

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Reps finishing like 90th and hardly leaving the house making 150k a year. Time for a change.

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Sad but true. Inexpensive contract reps will slowly but surely be replacing all overpaid detail people. Outsourcing reps is going on at every pharma/biotech company now. Huge cost savings.

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

So, when we're all contract reps we won't have to work as hard or care as much. It's a shame. The patient loses.

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Most of today's contract reps are hardworking, experienced biotech and pharma reps who were the unfortunate victims of massive layoffs. Get off your high horse thinking that just because your paycheck is signed by j&j that you work harder or care more than the contract reps. The patient doesn't lose if everyone here becomes a contract rep. Only your bank account and second businesses lose out.

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

thats what they told me too. you are right on....

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

It is a paid long-term interview. Take it and keep looking if you want.

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

For the person who's interviewing, good luck. I wouldn't leave a situation where you're looking at 30 weeks severance. For the people who are on here whining, grow a spine. If you aren't happy with this business, get other credentials and look for a different job. Sales has some clear benefits and yes, you can sometimes do your errands. It also is never-ending and you're doing paperwork and computer work every night for hours. Too bad. It's a good job. Someone pays for your car, your insurance, your education, if you want. Stop complaining that the company isn't being nice to you. This is 2011. Companies don't really care about you. They care about what you produce and they care about covering themselves legally. If you get a good manager, you're lucky. If you don't, life can be harder, but this is still a good gig. I don't know any field reps who are home all day. I know a lot who are straining under the pressure of their jobs. Most of us know to be happy to be well-employed.

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I have 20 years in Biotech (5 as Regional Acct Mgr0 and 15 with leading Pharma/no pods). My salary is $117,500, and just got cut in corp downsizing. Although I have Managed Care Experience, Hospital/Institutional sales up the wazoo, and really have not been out in the "field" for over 10 years, I can't get a nibble from companies. I have 15 straight years of at least Meet Expectations on Annual Review, with 3 or 4 Exceptional over my career. However, whether it is in Corporate Accounts, Managed Care, Specialty Reps, Hospital Territory, Local Territory, etc....it just ain't working for me anyway. I would stay if you have 30 weeks, and begin an all out job search (just being honest, and believe me it is in my best interest to not having employed folks looking for jobs) while you have your job. I never watned management, but after taking/being promoted into every level within the sales dept where I don't have to babysit direct reports (that is, being a manager), looks like I am permanently out of a job....not giving up, but it is tough for veterans who, in my opinion, know how to get it done. However, we may have priced ourselves out of the market. Who knows-any advice taken since I have 2 kids under 6, home and family to take care of.

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Any idea when offers would be made for specialty rheum reps? was told start is mid-march
    so they must be in a hurry up mode?

16. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I think you were given inflated numbers. I just withdrew my application because I was quoted " low to mid 70s base and an additional 20% of that base in bonus." I have 12 years of experience calling on rheums and was making 102K in base at my old job.

17. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Is it true that the contract reps don't get cars?

18. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

yes mileage allowance. Going to use my motorcycle.

19. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

yes, no cars, but getting mileage at the .51 is nothing to complain about. it is actually better for people who own their own cars, or have low payments. there is an allowance and mileage. a smart rep can truly make money on this whereas having a fleet car reps still pay out of pocket per paycheck. i must admit for a contract job, mid 70's and good auto reimbursement is not a bad gig and one product to boot. easy gig, if you are unemployed this is a great stop gap while you continue to look. no brainer about that. they deal with so much less bs then the symp. reps have to endure and are less subjected to the corporate manure that has killed the morale of this entire company. contract is not nearly as bad of an option as it was 5 years ago, i know many big pharma reps who were pres. club and top performers who are now on contract jobs and love love love the culture and are happier in a temp contract gig then they ever were at big brother pharma. i am thinking about making the jump to contract as i am in my later years, not a 25 yr old naive goof anymore!!! if i can pull in 75-80k with bonus in the 30's and have 50% less bullshit and crap to deal with from my manager, i am in....... who wouldn't at this point, this industry is SHIT anymore.

20. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I think you priced yourself out of the market at 117,500. If you think about it, the only way you can get to salary like that over 29 years is to be good at what you do...I have been in Management myself, in the field and also worked in Corporate Sales Training with J&J, and I always fought for the veteran stars vs. saving money taking a chance on a younger less seasoned rep-usually lost that battle but not always. Today, I don't think you get a look with that kind of salary.

What is the highest salary a current Manager has hired a rep at, and how much of a hassle was it with current pay grade levels, HR, etc...I hate hearing stories like this when one has very young kids and situation does not look great. I do know Quintiles/Ventiv, etc.,, won't touch go near a salary like that.

Bottom line, keep the faith,. you must have a good track record-get the interview and avoid at all costs mentioning salary on the pre-screens, then just sell yourself and close and be ready to take less salary but assuming past behavior is best predictor of future results you will end up just fine (and the job picture is definitely better than it was in 2010).

Good luck!