Advantages/Disadvantages of ThinPrep vs Surepath

Discussion in 'Tri-path' started by Anonymous, Feb 16, 2008 at 2:32 PM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I'm a clinician and wondered if there really is any difference between the two beside the service I get in my office?

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

to obtain the best answer to your question....talk with a lab pathologist or cytopathologist that has switched from TP to SP AND/OR a lab that runs both TP & SP.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

FUCK Sure Path they suck donkey dicks. The reps are all liars, BD made a huge, horrible acquistion, and now shareholders are going to be left holding the bag on this PIG. SP is a PIG, no other way of explaining it. If you are considering this because you can pop the broom head off into the vial, then you are leaving your patient behind with the conventional pap. Might as well scrape the cervix and smear it on a slide. Why bother with the liquid?

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Wow! Spoken like an angry Idiot rep that works for the C word, Cy... Sorry I should have used the new name Homo..gerks.

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

How did you spend all that money you made off the TPTH stock options? Talk about angry - at least I don't have a house payment, douchebag.

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I would rather have my specimen get centifuged than go through a screen!

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

You can do poop paps more gooder with Surepath than you can Thinprep

The density gradient works great for anal cytology

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Yeah, all the anus material sinks to the bottom, just like you Homo..er C Word er whatever you call yourselves now people.
    The only anal material you will see is the butt of the TP/BD reps as they leave you in their dust. Get over it, jerk

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

So to answer the original question on which is better TP or SP. To start, TP IS FDA approved for HPV and CT/NG testing...if you research this you will see that SP is NOT FDA approved for this type of testing. Also when you leave the brush in the vial with SP, some of the cells stick to the device, which results in less cells on the slide. There is literature to back this up. Next time a sales rep comes in to your office from either TP or SP, ask them to see the Instructions for Use (IFU) for their product. You can also obtain these from the company themselves. Compare the two and you will be able to come to the conclusion yourself. I have been a TP physician for years and the reps are easy to work with. Good Luck in your findings.

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

clinician...my ass.....

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I am an OB-GYN and from experience I can tell you that this is not the superior product on the market. We give all new technology a try in our office as we did the Surepath pap test. My partners and myself felt that the convenience of the brush was not enough nor was the bloody specimen angle. Also after some research, there were some problems with the data supporting the product. We consulted the ACOG president locally and his opinions really mirrored that of our own. Also felt that the representative for Surepath was a bit dishonest at times.

JKR, MD FACOG

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Do not believe that for one second. The disease detection rate for SP is higher than TP & anyone who has ever used them both finds that out quickly. The convenience of use and the ease of reduced unsats / repeats on the staff & patients is significant. Less cells on the slide is BS - there are on average 20,000 more cells on the SP slide than on the TP slide and they are clearly visible, check for yourself. Talk to the Cytotechs or Pathologists and they CLEARLY support SP if they've used it for even a short time. You are not FACOG, but may be a FAG

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I agree that SUREPATH is the better choice. the reps for thinprep are nothing but money-hungry bullies. Anyone with reasonable intelligence and tell just from the literature that SUREPATH is the better choice.

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I agree that SUREPATH is the better choice. the reps for thinprep are nothing but money-hungry bullies. Anyone with reasonable intelligence can tell just from the literature that SUREPATH is the better choice.

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

What a joke. You can't be with TriPath. They are a non entity anymore. You must be a warped lab rep working for a hospital system that brought SP in to make money.

16. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Another "brilliant and very clininical" post by an angry TP rep who can't keep up. Keep posting like you have ...while SP leaves you guys in the dust.

17. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I have to say that I am really scared to hear these posts from such immature reps. Get a life. Try to sound half-way intellegent. I can't imagine what goes on in calls in offices.

18. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I am an OB/GYN as well and have been in practice for 10 years. I recently did a pap smear via the Surepath methodology and the result came back HSIL. The patient came back for for a repeat visit and my nurse practitioner did a follow up test on the patient with Thinprep and the result came back LSIL. The patient has had a bleeding cervix for the past six weeks but I've just attributed that to breakthrough bleeding due to the new pill I've put her on. Should I repeat the pap again? Maybe do an HPV test?

Thanks for your collective opinion. I really value the collective experience and intelligence this board has shown.

19. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Your best bet is an HPV test. Much more sensitive than either Pap method, and if the HPV comes back positive you can colpo w/ the HSIL result you obtained before. Look in the most recent edition of OBG Management and you will find a great study on the "over-read" of normal paps. Hope this helps!

20. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

an obgyn? don't be ridiculous...what self respecting, decent obgyn would find themselves on this site for advice? what self respecting person would want advice here? unbelievable!