Deceiving Med Recruiters on MedReps: Bob Hutch & Peter Dowd from Healthco Search

Discussion in 'ACell' started by Deceived Acell Rep, Jan 10, 2013 at 6:53 PM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I don't work for Acell. I really don't. I don't know who your leadership is or how terrible they are.

Hutch called me once to talk about an Acell job. I listened when he mentioned the $280 @ plan. I had an advantage vs most new hires. I work in biologics now. I have roughly 50% of the business in my territory and it comes to about $1.2 annually. It took me the last 6 years to grow it to that size.

I am with a big, well respected company. We have lots of literature and a marketing department that sends me new tools and sales slicks almost weekly. I have GPO contracts and usually get reimbursed. I have key opinion leaders and all that crap to do dinner programs etc. All this and I would still only 168k, with no car, expense acct etc.

I had an advantage that I knew $2 million in sales (=$280k) was not practical. Especially with a me too company nobody has ever heard of. Add in the fact your reps are operating with 1 hand tied behind their back due to reimbursement, marketing, studies, expenses, car,...etc. and you realize most Acell reps are destined for failure.

Had I taken the job I would partly blame Hutch for misleading me. He knows the numbers he is throwing out are not realistic. Sure all recruiters exaggerate but on that scale is just wrong. The majority of the blame still lies with Acell leadership. They are the ones writing up the job description and the misleading numbers. I was fortunate to see how unrealistic this was but could have easily taken the bait had it been a different product I was ignorant to.

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Hutch called me once to talk about an Acell job. I listened when he mentioned the $280 @ plan. I had an advantage vs most new hires. I work in biologics now. I have roughly 50% of the business in my territory and it comes to about $1.2 annually. It took me the last 6 years to grow it to that size.

I am with a big, well respected company. We have lots of literature and a marketing department that sends me new tools and sales slicks almost weekly. I have GPO contracts and usually get reimbursed. I have key opinion leaders and all that crap to do dinner programs etc. All this and I would still only 168k, with no car, expense acct etc.

I had an advantage that I knew $2 million in sales (=$280k) was not practical. Especially with a me too company nobody has ever heard of. Add in the fact your reps are operating with 1 hand tied behind their back due to reimbursement, marketing, studies, expenses, car,...etc. and you realize most Acell reps are destined for failure.

Had I taken the job I would partly blame Hutch for misleading me. He knows the numbers he is throwing out are not realistic. Sure all recruiters exaggerate but on that scale is just wrong. The majority of the blame still lies with Acell leadership. They are the ones writing up the job description and the misleading numbers. I was fortunate to see how unrealistic this was.

This is akin to hiring someone for a paper route and saying they can make 100k. Then once getting hired telling them all they have to do is deliver to all of Manhattan by 4 each day.

However, the reps are not innocent in this. They are responsible for their own ignorance. 100% commission is always a MASSIVE red flag. A simple cafe pharma search or market research would tell you this is a BS company.

"At plan" is the misleading part. Most companies make that # reasonable, and at least 25% (usually more) are hitting that.

To the guy who just keeps saying "leave" and "if your unhappy..." very obviously management, very obvious you are the same guy over and over where most of the other posts seam genuine (from an outsiders perspective). Quit being such a DB, these are reps you mislead who are now struggling. Notice I didn't say "lie" or "tricked". Because you didn't lie or trick. But you did mislead.

These people were good enough to get hired by you and your mgmt peers, and now you act like a dick when 90% are struggling due to your misleading tactics. I'm certain most are looking for new jobs that legitimately pay 200+ and will probably be much more diligent this time around. Meanwhile you will continue to do damage control on CP in hopes of misleading the next new guy.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Bob Hutch would eat his own young. He can not be trusted

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

92% of Reps make less than $95K/yr. Don't let anyone tell you it's more than that. These two recruiters are dirty liars.

NO CAR ALLOWANCE, NO CELL PHONE REIMBURSMENT!

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Thanks for posting. I am in the interview process and I will definitely be inquiring about some of the info that the original post mentioned.

Couple of ?'s for current sales reps:

Can anyone give examples of the procedures that are off label?

Knowing what you know now, what questions would you ask during your interview?

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Are you kidding me....THE COMPANY WAS BUILT ON OFF LABEL SELLING!!!
    IDIOT STAY AWAY FROM THIS DUMP!!!!

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

What

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Off label:
    Powder before closing
    Wound sheets before closing
    Surgical sheets for anything but hernias.
    No reimbursement for outpatient.

If I had it all to do all over again I would ask: how much medical device experience does my Area Manager have?
    Bartenders, hot chicks being hired for positions or because of positions. I'd run if you were you.

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Make sure you ask to speak to other reps in the field ....not the 10 that are making money the other 120 that aren't

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Re: Dr ceiving Med Recruiters on MedReps: Bob Hutch & Peter Dowd from Healthco Search

Hutch and Dowd are the biggest scan artist on the planet stay away from these snake charmers. They are just in it for cash and don't give a shit about you. I love this line, "if you don't like it I will get you out". Please save it, both of you suck

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Compensation:
    $180,000 - $240,000
    Comp Type: Salary + Commission
    Salary: $60,000 - $70,000
    Bonus ---
    Commission
    $120,000 - $170,000
    Auto package: None
    Travel: 10 - 20%
    Benefits: Full Medical Dental Etc $1200/ mo expiences

Description:
    Looking for 5+ Years Surgical OR device sales exp.
    Main focus General Surgeons, GYN, Urol, Plastics, Wound.
    Selling cutting edge Biologic
    Base salary to start then move to 100% comm
    Target territory to sell 2 mill generating 280K W2's
    Full benefits etc.

The facts about Acell!!!

80%++ of the salesforce is making less than 90K/year AND have to pay for their own car, cell phone, etc. You would think that if the comp plan is 180K-240, a rough year puts you at $140-$150... not $75k wit zero car allowance.

MORE FACTS ABOUT ACELL!!!

#1 Product is good, not great. Works well in many case types, but unproven in many situations. More studies are needed.

#2 Acell managers direct you to present information regarding non FDA approved procedures. One thing in common with the top 20% of sales force is that they promote off label procedures.

#3 The guy running the salesforce is in over his head. He has experience as a distributor in Texas. Distributorship models are not used in "real" medical device companies and Texas is verrrrrry different than the rest of the country when it comes Med Device Sales.

#4 Reimbursment is a joke. No outpatient or office based procedures are reimbursed. The DRGs for inpatient surgery dont qualify the majority of the time. They will tell you that they now have Q codes for office based procedures, but they don't get reimbursed.

#5 Absolutely the worst sales tools: Many of the powerpoint picture presentations do not show patients completely heeled.

#6 We have no clinical data, sorry one wound care study of 31 patients. Surgeons are reluctant to experiment on humans, so no data to support claims means Surgeons are stearing clear.

#7 Six reps in the country made $150+ in 2012. Over 80 reps reps made less than $85K. NO car allowance, NO cell phone reimbursement, NO stock options. Overall salesforce compensation is embarrasing.

If you are looking into this position. I beg you to reach out to some current & former Acell reps via Linkedin to get a true feel about the company and dig deep during your interview.

Good luck, I hope you don't make the same mistake that I did by joining Acell. Hopefully I will be gone in the next three months.

(For Bob and Peter.....please stop posting this bullsh_t to try and make a few grand. Over the past year and a half you should have learned by now that this information regarding this position isn't true. Take a look at yourself and think of the families you are hurting by your deceiving postings)

Yours Truly,
    Deceived Acell Rep

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

my god this is the 10th time we've seen this exact post. i'm getting bored.

my only question is, why are you still here? why don't you just bolt? i guess its not as bad as you make it out to be? or perhaps you're trying to keep your competition away?

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Keep the competition away? Are you serious? I am not the previous poster, but I believe they are reposting this because it is the truth. Outside of a few, the top reps here are a joke. No real company would hire them or anyone else who spent significant time here.

16. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I was pushed hard to interview for this company by one of the recruiters mentioned. I at that time had a new baby and was told this was a great job and would easily hit $200k.

Had I bought that and interviewed and gotten the job it would have been disastrous for my career and family, I guess these guys don't care about that type of dynamic...quite unethical!

17. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

no, they probably don't give a hoot. neither do car salesmen, guys pushing mortgages on you, folks who sell you insurance, and list goes on and on. don't be ridiculous enough to listen to third parties who make money on your placement whether you stay at acell or you leave.

in fact, if you leave they can place someone else, and get paid all over again. acell is stuck holding the bag and rehiring and retraining new folks, and you are stuck with no job. not a good decision for anyone other than the outside recruiters.

18. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

How true, just look at applied or any other churn and burn

19. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I heard they can't get anyone with med device experience to interview. good luck selling this product with a bunch of copier reps! Karma is a bitch Bob and Pete!

20. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

The tough thing is that the product is great. All new start ups have growing pains. They always have complainers and its tough. The only way to survive at this job is to already have the contacts and relationships. If you dont your in trouble. There is potential money to be made here however nobody has made any yet.