Sharmin Webb

Discussion in 'Winthrop Laboratories' started by Walking Eagle, Sep 18, 2012 at 4:29 PM.

1. Walking Eagle

Walking Eagle Active Member

Are you out there? Anyone from the early years still in touch. Other alumni from October 73?

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I have actually posted several times. I actually started in September of 1970. I am sure all members of that class are retired or gone. I roomed with a guy named Fred Clark. He was crazy and did not last too long. I wish I could remember the lead trainer (Warren ????). We stayed at the Commodore Hotel right over by Grand Central Station and the Chrysler Building. I was from Ponca City, Oklahoma and like a duck out of water.
    I stayed with Winthrop 3 years and left for Boehringer Ingelheim in 1973 and stayed with them until I retired three years ago. My first territory with Winthrop was Amarillo. I transferred to Tulsa a year later.
    I loved my time with Winthrop. A great product line. However, with mergers and buyouts (something you could not foresee in 1973), I was lucky to go with a privately held company. My partner in Tulsa was Bob Bird (passed away a few years ago). I don't remember very many but Blaise McGuey (spelling?), Bud Schiller, Earl Beelman, are a few names that I recall. Most of the reps (Andy Stotts, Jack Canaday, Clark Lowe, etc) are all gone or retired.
    Let me know your history. I am still fascinated by the diffefrent pathways that people have taken over a lifetime.

3. Walking Eagle

Yep, you and I have chatted here before about the early days,etc. Just keep hoping that some of those I knew back when would browse the site -- 14 in the class but I think I am the only one who made a career of pharma. Did two years of Orthopedic sales and had on offer to go with a great company in ortho but wife at the time vetoed due to travel time--weeks at a time away from home. Had to turn down several promotion opportunities for the same reason. Didn't get into mangement until after the divorce.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Sorry to hear of your marital problems. I was luckier (and I think there is a little luck in marriage) with a wife that supported my need to travel in my work. When I became a regional director, I was abler to actually stay home more often. I hope we candraw out some of those early Winthrop guys eventually. Nice to hear from you.

5. Walking Eagle

Not about Winthrop--for the BI guy: we lost Joe Barnett Fri 11/30/2012. No details on cause or arrangements. To the best of my knowledge, he was still working with BI--last saw him in February and he was still working and looked in good health---hell, he could still pass for 40......

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I knew Joe very well and have known him for years. I was also saddened to hear of his death last week. He was far too young to be gone already. I actually had Joe in my region for a while and got to know him very well. A very classy guy and will be missed my all of those who knew him. Thanks for posting this, Sharmin.

7. Walking Eagle

Walking Eagle here, not Sharmin(been trying to find Sharmin for years). You should appreciate this: During his last weeks, his female pastor was visiting and commented that only Joe Barnett could go through several rounds of chemo and not lose his hair. He commented "Oh yeah, would you brush it for me?" (maybe not an exact quote, but close enough)

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

That is good. Joe did have a full head of hair and one that I would be envious. Joe will be missed by many.

9. Walking Eagle

Lost cause.....

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

As I try to remember so many back in 1973, I realize that many of those mentioned are no longer with us. I Still remember Andy Stotts, Jack Canaday, Joe Rutledge, Blaise, Jim Northcut, Fred Clark, Clark Lowe, Johnny Watson, Andy Anderson, and a few more, but time has eroded where they are and if they are retired or gone. Winthrop had a great line of products but the world of mergers, consolidations and partnerships pretty much made them a "lost civilization" Still fun to remember.