Middle aged man carrying Olive Garden, in a suit...

Discussion in 'The Darkened Sample Closet' started by Anonymous, Feb 2, 2012 at 7:52 PM.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Agreed.. Time and Place for everything. Like Dylan says -- Everybody has to serve somebody. Just Bend over- take hard and dry and then push hard for what you want need and expect -- fair is fair.

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

To the original post=I sadly looked at a middle-aged man, as we did a "group" luncheon/mini-trade show. Tables for each company, etc.

He had a trunk of paper supplies. Plates, napkins, cups and plastic flatware.

He handed out forks. I felt sorry for him. Literally knew at that time that I had NO desire to hand out forks to medical assistants (NOT nurses!) in a doctor's office!

Also, one time, I was talking about living in the dorms in college. The medical assistant's response, "Wow! You went to college?!"

Lastly, when I LEFT pharma (and NEVER looked back), I had someone say, "Oh good. I always FEEL SORRY for the reps SITTING in the office waiting to see the doctor."

Yes, paid well, provided a vehicle, yet a very humiliating role.

So glad I got my experience, and moved on. Don't miss the industry @ all.

Hope you can see that there is more to life than catering an office staff!

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Catering an office, getting drunk and beating off...No, not much more to life, that's about it

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Anybody who brags that they get paid big bucks and get showered with lavish benefits for working 20 hours a week and then mocks other people who actually work for their money should be ashamed of themselves.

There are many people that get into this business for money and money alone and don't care whether what they do has any meaning to them or if what they do has any value to the customer.

Dignity, self-respect and a sense of personal responsibility are things that most people who work hard have.

Drug reps are like teenagers who never grew up. They want an easy life with all the bells and whistles without having to work hard or making any personal sacrifice.

Yep, nobody wants to hire a drug rep who gets laid off or who wants out because they have no transferrable work skills, no work ethic and no value.

Fuck the Pharma Industry!

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

You made the original post you fucking douche. The bullshit flags of this stupid post are the guy "handing out forks" and the "went to college" comments. You can't think of something better to make up?

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Hell, no, I am not a doctor and know I'm not. I DO work in surgery so, yes, the scrubs are part of the job. If I walked into the room with a suit, they would think I was a huge tool. Critical care nurses and their patients do NOT want reps roaming around. We blend, we are much more likely to get a moment with the doc. In fact, I was sitting in scrubs in the break room when a rep in a suit w/o an appt came in and I overheard pretty much all the negative stuff said about her including her appearance when she was asked to leave.

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

The suit is the kiss of death in medical sales. The only time I ever wear a suit in the hospital setting is when I am meeting with the CFO--in which case I always make sure to say that I specifically wore the suit for him, and that often times I can be found in scrubs, mopping up and scrubbing down the OR with the rest of his staff. A smart medical sales rep always blends in with those he wishes to do business with, which is why I don't understand why Pharma people continue to wear suits when meeting with doctors.

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Believe what you want...

I did not post the original comment, yet, I did the post about the forks and college.

Yes, these comments are true, and truly happy they happened.

They were many reasons/situations/comments that helped me realize that I wanted to leave pharma. It was NOT meant for ME.

If it is meant for YOU, great. It was not meant for ME, and I left.

Grateful for the training/experience I received, yet truly, do not miss pharma one bit.

Take care!

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Ok, this thread has been interesting. I've been in sales 7 years...everything from pharma to devices, and been laid off more than once. Now, I know we get paid well. I also know that my biology degree and original plan to be a doctor are only a distant memory as I lick my bosses' asshole while I revise my forecast again and again to meet the meek 15% growth they are looking for. My husband is practically begging me to get the fuck out of this industry...but what is next? What did all you people that moved on go do? You're right...the real world doesn't give a shit how many lunches and "successful" dinner programs I did. They also don't care how complicated a spreadsheet I can make showing my growth curves and expected fiscal year end--it's all trumped up bullshit anyway. What the hell do I do with my life??

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

take the two year community college curriculum to become a Physical Therapy Assistant. This career is flexible, in high demand, and well paid. The travel jobs pay up to $45/hr. You can work part time or full time or full time working part time for several PT offices. You write your own ticket.

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

go into independent sales with a half way decent product. you will not get rich, but you will make good money and come and go as you please.

or, start a small business. again, you are not going to get rich but you can set your own hours in most cases.

last, you can invest the money you made in pharma (hopefully you saved) into various investments (real estate, stocks, etc).

personally, I saved a shitload in pharma over 15 years. now, I sub teach to pass the time, and trade stocks on my phone all day.

its a fun life, and it works for me because I am not a sheep like most people and I don't have to make a lot of money to have a high quality of life, and I don't drink or smoke or party or drive a fancy car, or have a big mortgage, so I don't have to make a lot to get by.

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Dad, is this you posting?

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

well, the poster gave you good advice, but you clearly can't think for yourself, so keep working in the corporate structure, where you are "safe".

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I “safely” W2’d @ $217K this year and received another 1300 shares in the form of options and grants. Not to mention my 52 cents a mile for my car which I profited around $15K non taxed. Oh that $217K does have my $8400 for the monthly car allowance of $700 so I guess I really only made $208K this year. I also “safely” purchased 20K worth of my company stock at a 15% discount on the lowest share price of the 1H. I also ‘safely’ jammed $16,500 into my 401K and the company through in $4500. Yeah it sucks doing three lunches a week and seeing your boss once a quarter for drinks to go over my “business plan”. I spend more time with my family then most people and with the extremely flexible schedule of this job and industry I’ve never missed a game, a recital, a teachers conference etc. Not all drug companies are evil and micromanagement hell…just the big pharma. There are a lot of good companies out there…you poor saps just never get a call from them…a good place to start is NOT working for companies listed on CP or at least go to the ones with very litter traffic or posts. I can tell you this CP is nowhere near an exhaustive list of drug companies with sales forces out there…

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Look, if you don't have your own buisness or do a 1099, you are a corporate kiss ass.

It doesn't matter how you dice it up.

And nobody cares about the money you made, because it is likely a cocky ass like you spends more than they make.

16. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Luckily, no sales rep ever exaggerates earnings and performance.

17. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Just give me the initials of your company.

18. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I'm 40 years old, have two kids, a house, and of course I've got bills just like the rest of you. I know the feeling of carrying food into a doctors office, although I only do that when it's a small crowd, deliver it other times. What sales role doesn't involve pandering to people? What can I say? They provide me with a very good base salary, company car, AMEX account to run my territory, and the best part is I don't get home at 9:00PM like my neighbors.

You cannot criticize and should not feel sad for people doing their job. Medications are a product and they need to be promoted, this is part of capitalism. I'm not going to get caught up with some $20,000 per year gatekeeper telling me she feels sorry for me because I have to sit in the waiting room for 35 minutes. I'll just fiddle around with my IPhone, the IPhone my company sends me $75 a month to pay for.

19. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Ya, I hear you. We just have to do what we have to do.

But, I never ask the office what they want. F Them. I just order from a restaurant that delivers.

20. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I can appreciate this response. I'm 40 as well but what worries me is that between new legalities in health care and access getting worse and worse, lay offs increasing, what do we do when we cant get back in? I've been in the industry 11 years and I've been laid off now for 8 and other industries wont look at me. I have many awards and a good record but its the reality.